Aris Terrain Version 2.0 WIP

Fuser

Modder guys like you have taken this game to a higher level. We all enjoy what you have done. I hope BF will one day reward you for your continued efforts!. They are smart guys over there at BF having designed games that can be modded to higher levels. They truly know how to make the best games be even better encouraging guys like you to create and share with the rest.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn´t it TanksaLot who was making the building Mod?

BTW, I knew this would happen...I may leave the Road Texture Pack as an Option inside the package, the only workaround is to use square, very regular, cobbles, and they look bad. Frustrating if you ask me...

BugwMod.jpg

Aris, what I'm curious about is how you'll handle the longer distance textures, as they really ruin immersion most of the time.

You have any plans on how to tackle those? They're not even really the same colour as the ones close-by; in fact, I think in the stock version they're slightly darker whereas by logic they should actually be a bit lighter (and slightly more blue-ish) with the atmospheric haze and all.

That's right, it's tanksalot doing the buildings mod. Hope he finishes them soon :P

I'm spellbound by these pics, I have very much regard for your work.

I think Gryphonne means the textures on the ground turning a bright green color when they are about 300m away. It's in your earlier terrain mod and is kind of an immersion breaker. However I still use your mod anyway since I'd rather have the new "feel" of your textures.

Wasn´t it TanksaLot who was making the building Mod?

BTW, I knew this would happen...I may leave the Road Texture Pack as an Option inside the package, the only workaround is to use square, very regular, cobbles, and they look bad. Frustrating if you ask me...

BugwMod.jpg

I stand corrected :)

For some unknown reason, BFC decided to create 2 versions of the same terrain tile.

-One is the one you can see while zooming in and varies in size from 2048 for the main textures to 512 in some less used textures. At this size, textures look crisp and defined. There is no way we can alter the size to achieve better definition though.

-The second set, it´s from my point of view a mistake by BFC, that is, the mini ground BMPs. At about 300 meters, this second set suddenly pops. There is no problem in that as it´s an intelligent way to save memory usage by the graphic card and allows for better frames. The concept it´s ok, but the texture´s size it´s not: most of them are 16x16 pixels, which at at a screen resolution of 1920x1080 look like blurried patches. They go from 512x512 to 16x16 resolution in a second and back as we zoom it again, no intermediate textures, that´s why we get that awful, blurried, unpleasant look at certain distances, and there is no way modding can alter that, except matching colors between both. As a result, in big maps, we have to zoom to locate terrain features, and that´s not only visually unpleasing, it´s time consuming too.

That's right, it's tanksalot doing the buildings mod. Hope he finishes them soon :P

I'm still plugging away at them. I've got about 6 and a half I consider done at this point, but they are really tough for me to do. Plus, I keep getting distracted looking at all these great mods from Aris. :)

Check this:

In CMBB, textures had less resolution, but remained reasonably equal at long distance.

BB_2640x3360_ME1b.jpg

In CMBN, although stock textures have a better resolution and quality, this is what happens as we zoom out a bit. 16x16 texture tiles pop, tile repetition it´s evident and horrendous, and everything looks blurry.

Clipboard02-6.jpg

Is there no possible fix for this devs?

Yes Erwin, CMBN it´s great for small maps, level 1 action battles, where you can enjoy the graphics and animations...but I can´t really understand why the took the decision to blur evrything else at level 4. I can imagine performance was the objective, but Level of Detail files or the decision to include 16 pixel (!!) textures in CMBN are definitely making this game ugly.

One of the differences in CMX1 is there are multiple grass textures as opposed to just one...I believe they are placed by height...lightest to darkest to give you more of a lay of the land feel. Only problem is you can end up getting a patched work look if they aren't blended correctly.

I did some extensive testing of the mini ground textures and distant ground textures a few weeks back thinking I could solve the blurring problem by increasing the resolution of the bmps but with no success. It's too bad BFC couldn't code it so we could do this and then the user could decide for himself what kind of performance hit he was willing to take.

Anyway, great looking stuff Aris. I really love that forest floor texture...it's all really coming along nicely. I take it you got your creative drive is back.

Mord.