Aris Terrain Version 2.0 WIP

Fuser

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuser:

It's always interesting to see how much of a person's character seems to filter through on the internet and to that end I must say you have the patience and generosity of a saint.

I think a few folks, in their enthusiasm for your benchmark work, may have blurred the line between admiration and imposition. I applaud the dignified way you have conducted yourself on these message boards. I have not seen a trace of ego or false modesty, only a continued willingness to share, what I'm sure we all agree is a first rate set of skills and talent, with the wider community.

I'm not inclined to participate in internet drama, but man, you totally crashed the scene here since the late summer of last year and have set the standard not only for technical skill, but also, in my eyes, for integrity. Truly well done sir.

Well said. I've been modding recently and now how frustrating and time consuming it can be, I'm not sure how I would have felt if someone had said it sucked...I'd like to think I'd be as courteous as yourself, though I doubt it.

Your response tells me more about your character than anything else you could have said.

Well done Sir your a Modder and a Gent. CMBN community is so much richer for your presence and your a superb asset and role model for forum members.

Thank you.

Edit Hister, this isn't a dig at you..I'm sure you didn't really think about how it could sound...

If I listen to something that doesn´t make me feel good, I always check why it doesn´t, the first reaction is to blame others for being...whatever..., but the reality, it´s always my ego. I try really hard to erase that from my personality, that´s all.

Edit Hister, this isn't a dig at you..I'm sure you didn't really think about how it could sound...
Oh I would need spanking for sure (sometimes I lack sensitivity) so your remark is spot on. I'll tell my GF I've been a bad boy on the internetz and we'll have a spanky spanky weekend! ;)

Woah to much info there mate..next thing you'll be telling us you dress up as the gestapo and your missus some nazi Fraulein..
Ahaha, you are all a funny bunch of people - what a funny site tha twould be! Don't give me too many ideas though - things can get nasty... :cool: :P

Edit: Aris, do your vehicle textures slow down the game? If not I'll apply them one by one until all the armour is done for. Also, since I have an antique PC I have my settings at balanced/balanced in order to have normal FPS. Is this setting good enough for your textures to be visible from reasonable distance or I shouldn't bother at all?

Aris, do your vehicle textures slow down the game?

No.

Regarding Haystacks,...they are quite hard to mod, due to the stretched mapping of textures. May try something though,...

I posted some question for the devs that it´s still unanswered (I thing they have better things to do than looking in this thread). Is there a possibility we could get tranparent water?

I can get different colors and waves, but no transparency.

Clipboard03-1.jpg

Building and vehicle and most terrain transparencies are achieved with alpha channels (kind of magenta texture back in the CMx1), and there isn´t any problem to have them ingame.

Water effects (light, movement,...) are handled with a shader. You have a base texture (Water.BMP), and 2 Targa files (one in charge of surface detail, and the other in charge of waves). But the shaders (FRAG and VERT files,...text files basically, are the ones which manage the effects for these textures), if they weren´t there, water would look flat and without animations.

Ok, hehe, I give up, I am not going to understand OpenGL Shading language to add transparency in the game without help, I know where my limitations are! :) If there is anyone in the forum with knowledge in C programming I bet he could add blending possibilities to the shaders and allow semi-translucent textures. Too difficult for me!!

Yes, yes, yes... Now get back to work...!

Seriously, I second PP's sentiments. You almost singlehandedly have made CMBN look the way it should look. And done it with grace and good humor. I dunno how you do it.

I too was going to +1 PP's sentiments but then I read this and actually laughed out loud. So instead, nice one Erwin and thanks Fuser - I want to echo what PP said too.

??? Vehicle windows are transparent.

To be honest I thought there was no glass texture used at all and they where empty. If that's the case then windows in buildings should be doable...do headlights etc use the glass texture then? I can't remember what it was in CMSF it was a view finder or something where it was made to look like glass with a reflection of the landscape in it...not sure why they didn't use the glass texture there aswell.

I would have liked them to break though. However where dealing then with 3D physics which i could be wrong isn't something CMBN does.

Ok, hehe, I give up, I am not going to understand OpenGL Shading language to add transparency in the game without help, I know where my limitations are! :) If there is anyone in the forum with knowledge in C programming I bet he could add blending possibilities to the shaders and allow semi-translucent textures. Too difficult for me!!

Could you release what you did in the screenshot though Fuser? As it looks alot better than the stock.

Also how about having ago at the Church? To me it's one texture that stands out like a sore thumb.