One wish for the commonwealth forces:

Contrary to what Hollywood and the BBC would have us all believe, not all British soldiers were from London and the South.

Lets have plenty of Northern English, Welsh,Scottish and Irish accents in there please

Apparently Norfolk has its own accent, one that I have recently been encountering in some movies and find quite pleasant. I'd love to hear it turning up in CM.

:)

Michael

The Southwest accent sounds much closer to an American one than any other in Britain, seems to me, along with the Northern Irish accent. I wonder if that's because so many of our American settlers came from those parts, or because what we call a Southwest accent today was just what a "farmer" or rural accent sounded like everywhere in the 17th and 18th centuries.

I haven't checked module gun sounds which means my total ignorance places me beyond their non-disclosure agreement. ;) But I would imagine Steve's original concern about too many different weapons sound files all firing at once eating up processor resources still stands. This may be a case of 'be careful what you wish for.'

The Southwest accent sounds much closer to an American one than any other in Britain, seems to me, along with the Northern Irish accent. I wonder if that's because so many of our American settlers came from those parts, or because what we call a Southwest accent today was just what a "farmer" or rural accent sounded like everywhere in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Dialects are a hobby of mine... your suppositions are largely correct.

Many of the older East Coast American dialects (Appalachian, "Downeast" New England, etc.) in particular are considered to be descended at least in part from the dialects of Southwestern England. A significant portion of the first English settlers to the New World (including my 14x great-grandfather) came from these areas. These American dialects have been influenced by many other groups and changed over time, of course, but it is certainly true that you can hear some similarities in between these dialects and dialects from Southwest England, to this day.

The Northern Irish influence you mention is probably from another significant group of early settlers -- those who came to be called the Scotch-Irish. These were originally Presbyterian Scottish tenant farmers that had been resettled in County Ulster, Ireland by the British Crown in the 17th century. Apparently, many of the resettled Scots didn't like it much in Ireland, because significant numbers of them moved on to the New World within a few generations. The Scotch-Irish dialect is quite distinct from other dialects of English from Ireland, and its heritage is particularly noticeable in the dialects of certain areas of the United States, such as the Western Carolinas. The Scotch-Irish typically settled as rural farmers and homesteaders, and often moved West fairly readily with the expanding American frontier, which is why you hear the influence of this dialect in many of the more rural areas of the United States to this day.

Later, 19th and early 20th century waves of Irish Immigrants were much more from the Southern, predominantly Catholic areas of Ireland. These waves of Irish immigrants usually settled (at least for the first generation or two) in the large, industrial cities of America. This is why the Irish influence on the American dialects you hear in the dialects of big cities such as New York, Boston and Chicago is very different than the influences that the early Scotch-Irish settlers had on some of the older American dialects, which tend to be preserved and spoken today in more rural areas.