Newbie here (with a dilemma)

Hello everybody, my name is Nicolas and I'm from Argentina. I've managed to get my 55 bucks which here in argentina are 236 argentinian pesos and I was about to buy CMBN. But recently I read here in the forum that bugs in CMBN won't be fully fixed until the next game about the bulge comes out (did I get that right?). So I don't know if I should wait for the next game to come out or buy CMBN straight away. I'd like to hear some opinions if you wish...

Thank you!

Definitely buy it straight away. The game is constantly evolving. It is TOTALLY playable as it is. There aren't really any bugs that are being worked out ... just new features that will be added and some tweaks ... but that is the way things are with most games.

Get on board now so your fun can begin sooner!

But recently I read here in the forum that bugs in CMBN won't be fully fixed until the next game about the bulge comes out (did I get that right?)

That's far from the truth. Actual bugs are solved in (free) patches. That's a very important part of our business philosophy at Battlefront. What people mean when they talk about the next game are entirely new features. And that is true... major new features are introduced with major new titles only (hey, we need to somehow pay our bills!)

Now, some people may have differing opinions on what a bug is or what a feature is. Don't let that fool you or keep you from playing the best wargame in the market! As others pointed out, check out what you get for yourself and make up your own mind: http://www.battlefront.com/demos

Martin

For my money, it's totally worth it. Yes, there are a few things that could use tweaking. Some more serious than others, but nothing that has caused me to regret my purchase.

The positives far outweigh the negatives. It's just that, as with anything in life, the negatives get all the press.

I'm sure the series will become more refined as other titles are released . . . but that doesn't mean the current title is something you should pass up.

Just like how the original Combat Mission was not as polished as Combat Mission: Africa Korps. I never regretted my purchase of CM within the first month of it's release. I'm glad I can say that I was there when it all began.

You should do the same. Starting with CM:BN.

I've spent close to $200 USD on Combat Mission games using the second generation engine (CMBN, CMA, CMSF/Marine/Brit/NATO) and it's been the best money spent in my life gaming wise. Try the demo, as CM isn't everyones cup of tea, but you will know in 10 minutes if you want to buy, and you won't even finish the scenario you're playing before you do, guaranteed!!!!

I've been playing CMBN happily ever since it was released a few months back. The game is polished and very playable. I have seen several recurring bugs pop up from time to time, but they are pretty rare and never really ruin a match. Free patches always contain a significant number of fixes for known issues.

I dunno about bugs, I think you probably read stuff about not having UI changes till Bulge (like cover armor arc for example). That and some other things like tcp-ip wego are sorely missed by me and others but they will find their way into the game eventually. I'd go ahead and buy it (or just try the demo first), there's nothing really on the market worth comparing it to, other than CMBB/CMAK... which have their advantages over CMBN but also their disadvantages disadvantages. Infantry combat is a lot more fun for one thing in CMBN.

There aren't too many bugs that need squashing in CMBN and the few that are known are being looked into. BFC has an excellent record with supporting their games...better than any other company I can think of. They played hell whipping CMSF into shape and watching them stomp, squash bugs and tweak that game was a sight to behold. They stuck by us and worked with us as a community to get the CMX2 engine looking sharp. They've always been good like that.

As far as features go...there's not a whole lot missing from the game that is glaringly noticeable. There's some things I wish for and hope we'll have but honestly...when playing the game I get caught up in what's there and how cool it is not by what I wish were there. It's well worth the money and there's three modules to add to it...so my vote would be to buy this bad boy...you WILL not be disappointed.

Mord.

But recently I read here in the forum that bugs in CMBN won't be fully fixed until the next game about the bulge comes out (did I get that right?).

What do you mean by "fixed"?

The game as it stands is working as designed, there are some bugs still, but these will be patched long before any new title comes out.

New features that won't be patched into CMBN but might go into a new title (I'll believe it when I see it) include some things that have been omitted from this new game that were in the old games:

Terrain Fire

Flame throwing units

Ground to Air combat. (Consequently a bunch of AA units were also just left out)

Detailed Unit info

Covered Arc Armour

Move to Contact and Hunt orders or the equivalent functionality.

TCP/IP Wego

If the non-onclusion of any of these bothers you a lot then don't buy the game. Personally I prefer to enjoy the game for what it IS, rather than for what it isn't.

I had hard time deciding if I should buy this, because I would rather play USSR vs Germany, Finland vs USSR or even Finland vs Germany (Lapland War) and I'm not very interested in US vs Germany, but I bought it anyway. Been playing it for 8 months now, so I guess it is a really good game. I have not encountered any bugs, at least I have not noticed any.

It's not perfect, but what is?

I bought all three CMx1 games, CMSF + every module for it, CMA and now CMBN. There are issues, but I can't say I've personally regretted it at all.

BFC has a pretty good track record when it comes to patches, compare the release version of CMSF with the last one, that game had a metric fckuton of bug fixes and improvements done to it over the course of years.

I'm not 100% on this as I haven't played CMSF since my laptop imploded and I've lost the memory stick with the backup (sucks, I really liked that game, maybe even more than CMBN) but one exception to this is that the last CMSF module, NATO, is still somewhat buggy.

Erm not sure what you mean by bugs. All known bugs get fixed in patches. There will be a patch for the stock game after the module comes out for sure.

New features wont come into play until Bulge.

CMBN is the best tactical level combat game out. Bar none.

No game, absolutley none is bug free or works perfectly.