CM: Korea...it's needed

Think about it. The communists followed sov doctrine and used their weapon systems. Not a terrible amount of work needed. UN forces (The big ones...ROK and US) use mostly US equipment which is already there. DLCs for continued revenue stream could be released for the various UN armies and/or TO&E changes over time. Hills, cities, villages, forests and rice paddies...rough and nasty infantry country. BF would be the only company making a real Korean War game (tactical anyway).

The varied terrain. The multiple participants. Man it would be cool and a somewhat refreshing change from WW2! Chinese breakthroughs. US breakouts. ROK/DPRK desperate fighting at Pusan. The scenarios could be epic. 

*I may be biased as I spent several years in uniform there and eventually conned a young lady to followed me home a couple decades ago. She still won't go away. 

Edited by Attilaforfun

Oh, I thought at first you meant Korean modern war, which is also an attractive title  prospect. Steve had expressed an interest in the modern Chinese army awhile back (though attempting to research  the TO&E structure would probably kill him).

1950 Korean war may be a bit problematic from a 'storytelling' standpoint. First the US almost gets pushed off the peninsula, then they turn things around with a dramatic end-run to Inchon, then just as victory is in sight the Chinese drive them back to the 38th parallel again. Eventually the stalemated war's resolved at the peace table. It doesn't have the 'forward to victory' narrative that people prefer.

I would love a 1950s Korean War game from CM. A lot of the work is already done from the WWII titles as well. Really, it would just be a lot of TO&E work for the communist forces, as well as some new uniform textures, and the rest would be maps/scenarios/campaigns. 

I also think that CMFI is a good proof of concept that the CM engine can handle the type of fighting found in Korea. Rocky, hilly terrain, snow/winter conditions, a handful of dense urban environments. I think it would be a fantastic addition to CM. 

Though, with the amount of stuff BFC is working on, I'm not sure there would be room for the project anytime soon, unfortunately. But who knows, maybe at some point!

27 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

I would love a 1950s Korean War game from CM. A lot of the work is already done from the WWII titles as well. Really, it would just be a lot of TO&E work for the communist forces, as well as some new uniform textures, and the rest would be maps/scenarios/campaigns. 

I also think that CMFI is a good proof of concept that the CM engine can handle the type of fighting found in Korea. Rocky, hilly terrain, snow/winter conditions, a handful of dense urban environments. I think it would be a fantastic addition to CM. 

Though, with the amount of stuff BFC is working on, I'm not sure there would be room for the project anytime soon, unfortunately. But who knows, maybe at some point!

In the past, and of some computer of "veterans" must existing already a Mod but I don't remember if this cover 1950 or Modern approach...

You will need more than Soviet equipment/TOE to describe communist force. KPA's armor force is built with Soviet equipment and Soviet TOE, but the infantry division's organization is very similar to IJA, Imperial Japanese Army .  the CPVA (Chinese People's Volunteer Army) in 1950 and 1951 were largely armed with Japanese equipment, some were armed with captured American equipment, while the rest armed with Chinese made equipment.

So to describe a CPVA platoon, you will also need Japanese equipment, ZB26,  type 24 Zhongzheng (this one should be relatively easy to mod, this is a copy of Gewehr 98)  

46 minutes ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

You will need more than Soviet equipment/TOE to describe communist force.

True, but more of the work as far as weapons go is done than not. My point was that there are enough existing assets already present in WWII CM games that it would reduce the overall work load. For example, most of the US forces are ready to go as is, and adding the USMC wouldn't take that much work to do. 

A Korean title would work narrative-wise if we got dropped into the middle of the war at the best spot to build a tactical wargame around. Ignore the start of the war where the under-equipped Americans fled like scared rabbits, and ignore the end that's stalemated positional warfare waiting for a political solution. What's a typical basegame timeline - 3 months or so? That's a 3 month chunk plucked out of the 37 months that the war took place.

5 hours ago, Freyberg said:

A Korean game would be fun in terms of the vehicles and units, but I could imagine the terrain would be a bit off-putting - hills, forests, cities, and farmland full of muddy, impassable rice-paddies.

On the contrary. Makes it even more enticing.

Heh, I recall there was an old Pierce Brosnan James Bond movie that ended with him escaping from North Korea only to land in a (supposed) South Korean rice paddy next to a straw-hatted farmer with a plow pulled by a water buffalo. The South Korean government was outraged and demanded an apology. South Korea is one of the world's most technologically advanced and educated nations. They don't plow fields with freakin' water buffalos! :angry::lol:

11 hours ago, Freyberg said:

A Korean game would be fun in terms of the vehicles and units, but I could imagine the terrain would be a bit off-putting - hills, forests, cities, and farmland full of muddy, impassable rice-paddies.

Seems like Korean-like terrain has already been modded for the "Heaven & Earth" mod.  It's just a question of whether it's practical to mod the units and weapons of a particular era.

4523e6008a8865a762f43ab2bd102df4

Two men carry barrels containing human waste through a rice field. Human waste was a common fertilizer in rice cultivation in Korea. In addition to recording the war effort, Williams traveled to small towns, villages, and farms to capture the spirit, culture, and individual personalities of the Korean people, whose lives were dramatically affected by the war.

https://calisphere.org/item/a052b1beb149c7ec69a61ec2c5b75e7c/

Edited by AlanSA

I would argue as I always have that in the grand scheme of it all what we need is a CM Cold War. It's still more like the number 2 on my wishlist below Combat Mission "Black" - Fall of Europe 1939-40, but it's hard not to see the enormous potential of a release in the 1950s-1980s timeline.