Murphy's Laws of Combat Mission

Turn 3: While moving my front line squads to contact my HMG team waits in the rear along some bocage. It's a nice, out-of-the-way spot to have a smoke before being called up to the line. The 1st squad moving out of cover draws a burst of fire from a sharp-eyed MG42 Gunner somewhere around Hamburg. The burst misses its intended target but one round passes through 2 very narrow breaks in the bocage, over a fence and takes out my HG gunner who has just lit his Lucky Strike. It drops him like a sack of spuds. The MG team looks for the water cooled mg only to discover that it was also hit and now useless.

:D I was laughing out load on this one, just because I could see him diesecting the move turn over and over again, wanting to find out what the hell happened to his team

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I called in some Wiley Pete nearby to screen my troop movements. The HQ panics under some fire and runs towards the target area. Rounds start dropping, phosphorus burns the pixeltruppen's lungs, and the HQ breaks. Now the scatter is so bad, the other squads in the platoon start to get affected, and immobilize.

Simple things become the hardest in the midst of war...

If you have an armored column advancing through Bocage relying on one Sherman with Rhino, that tank will invariably be destroyed by the first spotting round of the enemy's artillery. Which is most likely zeroing in on your assembly area.;)

Awesome game!

~Schwabian

Last night I called in some Wiley Pete nearby to screen my troop movements. The HQ panics under some fire and runs towards the target area. Rounds start dropping, phosphorus burns the pixeltruppen's lungs, and the HQ breaks. Now the scatter is so bad, the other squads in the platoon start to get affected, and immobilize.

Simple things become the hardest in the midst of war...

Preparatory to an assault of mine last night, my WP spotting rounds took out the better part of 2 squads.

The 1st squad moving out of cover draws a burst of fire from a sharp-eyed MG42 Gunner somewhere around Hamburg. The burst misses its intended target but one round passes through 2 very narrow breaks in the bocage, over a fence and takes out my HG gunner who has just lit his Lucky Strike. It drops him like a sack of spuds.

Coincidentally, last night while playing theFightingSeabee's new and excellent Pointe du Hoc scenario a down-to-just-three-men Ranger rifle squad of mine was hurrying through a gap in the barbed wire when one of the GIs went down (KIA). I frowned in puzzlement, wondering what got him — and then I heard the ripping-fabric sound of an MG42 from about 450 meters' distance.

Where ever you least want there to be an antitank gun, there will be an antitank gun.

The furthest corner of the map is still danger close, always.

..and where ever you place an AT Gun, the enemy armor will choose a different path so you never get a glimpse of them.

1. In CMBN and your plans, nothing is ever right. Therefore, if everything is going right ... something is wrong. Now is a good time to see how many squads you're missing. Just look for the dead bodies sprawled about.

2. Nothing is as easy as it looks or sounds. This includes empty looking forest patches, deserted looking buildings, pretty fields of flowers, and the sound of a platoon of Tigers disguised to sound like Kubelwagons.

3. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. This includes anything that contains HE and happens to be anywhere near your troops.

4. If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway. This is what happens when you think you can beat #3.

5. Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first. This usually happens when you have the PERFECT line of fire on a whole company of enemy troops and you select your crew served weapon to open up a can of proverbial whoop ass and you now notice you need to deploy it first after which time the deployment is done that PERFECT opportunity has now passed and mortar rounds are now falling on your deployed crew served weapon.

6. You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread/map to butter/attack

7. A falling object will always land where it can do the most damage. This law is only in play for the enemy.

and of course we all know Murphy was a grunt.

Where ever you least want there to be an antitank gun, there will be an antitank gun.

The corollary to this is when you know you don't want an AT gun to be there, and send in some of your precious artillery to be sure, the AT gun was in fact, not there.

This usually happens with armour...

Picture the situation. You are deployed in a defensive position. Cunningly, you place a tank in a position where it will cover a particular line of advance. Even better, any enemy vehicle advancing down that route will be exposed to flanking fire.

The enemy armour approaches... yes, it will be a flanking shot at close range, just as you envisaged:D YOUR TANK DOES NOTHING!! What is happening? Are they brewing tea or coffee, or is the tank commander passing round a packet of lucky strike?:confused:

The enemy tank stops. The turret turns around. FOR CHRISSAKE WAKE UP GUYS!!! There is a loud bang. The enemy has fired. Your tank is hit and brews up. A couple of survivors, their tea/coffee break rudely interrupted bail out.

The enemy is now in a position to pass through your unguarded flank...:eek:

SLR

• 2 weeks later...

Second mission Courage and fortitude...

MG42 first burst takes out a GI at 600 metres...

second burts taked out TWO engineers behind cover...at 650 metres

also at about 400 meters, a German squad gunner taked out a soldier with its first burst!

about to cancel this attack jajaja, who said MGs where useless?

When trying to advance using bounding overwatch, it's always your intended next maneuver element which has LOS to the places you want to shoot at, and not your intended overwatch element.

Oh, and: When you are absolutely sure there is no enemy left in that field and tell your tank commander to unbutton, the one enemy guy who is still left stops panicking, stands up and shoots the TC in the face before your two platoons of infantry even see him. He then hides behind a daisy and vanishes from view for the next 10 minutes.

Oh, and: When you are absolutely sure there is no enemy left in that field and tell your tank commander to unbutton, the one enemy guy who is still left stops panicking, stands up and shoots the TC in the face before your two platoons of infantry even see him. He then hides behind a daisy and vanishes from view for the next 10 minutes.

I tell ya, the AI is diabolical. Diabolical! Charles is into some bad ju-ju.

;)

Michael