Murphy's Laws of Combat Mission

Another one of my favourites: Murphy's Extended Law of Combat Mission Heroics...

1st Law: When one of your units does something totally magical, beating all odds to save the day with a crazy fit of heroism...you have invariably forgotten to start Fraps before you started playing.

2nd Law: When this happens, you are invariably either playing in real time or will forget to save the replay.

3rd Law: Mildly frustrated, you will then post a detailed and epic description of your unit's antics on the forum just to vent how happy you are. At this point, occasionally you will get lucky and one or two people will reply something like "Wow, that must have been cool to watch!" or "Great stuff bro. I love this game!". However, in 9 out of 10 cases some forum member (generally one with a join date sometime around 2000-2002) will show up in your thread immediately and reply "Pics or it didn't happen! :D:D:D". After that, the thread will die.

Try it, it's true! ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Target Arcs are for marking the area where the enemy will never appear.

Target lines are for marking those enemy units which will vanish one second into the next turn.

Your smoke shells are for injuring your infantry you are attempting to screen.

Spotting rounds are for routing your lead infantry squad.

Second mission Courage and fortitude...

MG42 first burst takes out a GI at 600 metres...

second burts taked out TWO engineers behind cover...at 650 metres

also at about 400 meters, a German squad gunner taked out a soldier with its first burst!

about to cancel this attack jajaja, who said MGs where useless?

I guess you did not get the memo...:)

While moving your nearly invincible Tiger E into position to slaughter some infantry. It is immobilised by a wheel hit.

After two minutes of taking hits that merely bounce off, the crew bails leaving 40 some odd HE and 45 AP rounds unfired. You then have to look at the sorry thing for the rest of the game and just dream of what might have been.

A unit's "Target Arc" is defined by the distance to, but not including, the distant enemy unit firing on the unit and between, but not including, the two nearby enemy units firing on the unit.

There are always two things between you and the bocage opening you want to use:

First, an unnoticed bocage opening that's used by your troops instead of the one you selected.

Second, as your troop is now on the wrong side of the bocage, a fatal hail of enemy fire.

Immobilized enemy tanks are immobilized in the perfect position to containing destroying your units.

Immobilized friendly tanks are immobilized in the perfect position to brew-up start destroying your units.

After doing painstaking scouting to find the enemy antitank gun and meticulously planning a multiple tank hull down attack, You watch in horror as 2 tanks turn around, back up to the slope and as the guns are turned 180 from said target, take it in the ---

P.S. Murphy was an optomist

Your tank commander will bail, have the perfect opportunity to kill an opposing cowering enemy, but the new patch makes him run blindly in front of an MG instead. At which point there will be a chorus of howls about why bailing tank crews are too timid.

Alternatively

Your tank commander will bail, and be immediately killed by an enemy that was going to surrender. At which point there will be a chorus of howls about why bailing tank crews are too timid.

# of turns required = # of turns available + 1/chance of you winning.

120 turns = 100 turns of careful manoeuvre through the first 1/2 of the map + 20 turns of headlong rush through the MLR.

When you think "why is he wasting his arty there" it is *always* your arty.

Any area fire conducted always hits an unoccupied area. Conversely, any occupied area is always unfired upon.

Genius idea + time = weeping.

Any mortar firing on the wrong target will be manned by hyperactive loaders on amphetamines, while any on an ATG will be manned by the 3 Stooges on Ketamine.

While moving your nearly invincible Tiger E into position to slaughter some infantry. It is immobilised by a wheel hit.

After two minutes of taking hits that merely bounce off, the crew bails leaving 40 some odd HE and 45 AP rounds unfired. You then have to look at the sorry thing for the rest of the game and just dream of what might have been.

...And the worst part is that this is in your battle against Stuka, right?

:D

Michael

Yeah you got it Emrys, my first ever PBEM with the new game, and it had to happen with him!

I can imagine the feeling. You meet a beautiful girl in a bar and hit it off with her. You take her upstairs to your room and just when you finish taking off her clothes, you discover that "she" is equipped a little differently than you were expecting. I never had that happen to me, thank god, but from the stories I've heard it must be a real let down.

Michael

I can imagine the feeling. You meet a beautiful girl in a bar and hit it off with her. You take her upstairs to your room and just when you finish taking off her clothes, you discover that "she" is equipped a little differently than you were expecting. I never had that happen to me, thank god, but from the stories I've heard it must be a real let down.

Michael

Ho ho....I don't know if that is the situation that I would describe...those feelings would be far more dramatic in the picture that you paint.

Losing a Tiger does not give the same feeling as losing a.... well, you know..........

Ho ho....I don't know if that is the situation that I would describe...those feelings would be far more dramatic in the picture that you paint.

Losing a Tiger does not give the same feeling as losing a.... well, you know..........

Don't think of it as losing a you know, but as gaining a you know what.