When Will Fire be In?

I have already pre-ordered and can not wait for the game.There are many things I can live without in the game.Fire is not one of them.Fire and all the mayhem that comes with this natural delight must get in at some point.You can leave out horses and motorcycles without much argument from me.But fire, along with smoke, dust , and explosions is an essential product of the violence of war and must be simulated and done well.The random effect of fire is just as important as random weather and ricocheting rounds, and random exploding shells in that" burning tank".Its hard to find any war footage without fire at somepoint.Indirectly its already in because something is causing that smoke.But the pyromaniac in me is just not satisfied,lol.I need it to spread and cause panic.I need it to change the battlefield and your plan of action.I need houses to be completely engulphed randomly.Fire is the main ingredient of chaos.War is chaos.The original fire model from CMBO I thought worked beatifuly.I just want something similar at some point.

Its an insane amount of work to not only get art and animations into the game but also thoroughly test out all the combinations of logical AI behavior relating to fire too. Heck, the actual fire & smoke may be the least of it! They do have Churchill Crocodile hanging over their heads menacingly, though.

Well:

1. Certainty of no fire in base module.

2. Fire needs to be thought about for the Brit Module but may or may not be included.

That’s all anyone knows.

I’m sorry if you can’t “live without fire” but since you joined the forum in Sep ’10 there have been a few posts about fire being in / not being in and I would have hoped you would have read these before spending your cash if it is so central to your gaming needs.

I cant remember the last time i used a flamethrower in CMAK without the resulting immediate death of its handler by a mass of enemy targeting ether because the unit walks so damn slowly or because a big flame kind of says "shoot over here" :D ... ergo it aint that important to me ... would be nice to see eventually though.

I, for one, am not very concerned with looks. You may be and that is cool too.

Just so they do it in the future is good enough for me. Fields and houses that burn. I await!

For some odd reason this happend alot with me in CMBB. The Fields would be littered with burning T-34's, Pz-IVH's or halftracks.. and sometimes it would light the fields ablaze... and after about an hour of play the entire Field would be a burning Enferno! Of course this only really happend during the summer month conditions.

Was pretty cool, so not sure how they are going to do that.

We really debated about keeping fire out of CMx1 back when we were making CMBO. Reason? Gamey abuses. We tried very hard to limit how much people could abuse fire within a tactical battle and I think we had mediocre success. And that took quite a bit of work to achieve even with the far more simplistic CMx1 system.

Fire will eventually make it's way into CMx2. But it isn't a top priority. It's place on the battlefield within CM's scope is quite limited. Sure, it happened to be in some battles. Sure, it happened to appear during a battle. But how many battles and how much impact did it have when it did show up? Fairly few and fairly limited. Therefore, it's going to get in when the time is right for it and not rushed/forced into the game until then.

About flamethrowers...

In real life they were almost always used in isolated combat situations where the enemy was immobile (usually a bunker or cave). An ENTIRE rifle platoon, or more, would secure an approach to the target so that the flamethrower operator could reasonably approach without significant threat of being sniped. Which was important because nobody wanted to let a guy with a flamethrower anywhere near friendly positions!

Once the area was secured a guide would go back along the "safe" route and fetch the poor sod with the flamethrower. The guide would then bring the flamethrower armed soldier to a carefully selected firing position. From there the strike would be made and the operator would call it a day as the infantry attempted to mop up.

In short... using flamethrowers effectively means picking your targets very carefully.

Steve

About flamethrowers...

In real life they were almost always used in isolated combat situations where the enemy was immobile (usually a bunker or cave).

. . .

In short... using flamethrowers effectively means picking your targets very carefully.

Steve

You obviously never played any of the finely crafted scenarios from Ker Dessel*.

Steve

*Ker Dessel -- When you KNOW its a setup!

Flamethrower... I never understood how they managed to convince someone to strap a tank of highly combustible liquid to his body and go out into a combat environment. Double pay wouldn't cut it for me. I'd rather refuse the order and spend some time in a military prison than wear one of those. <shudder> Of course, that's easy to say sitting in front of my computer :)

I can live without fire for a while longer. However, I think burning buildings would add immensely to the appearance of a map and increase the immersion for the player. It's sort of doable right now if you place a burning wreck in a building but it's still not a burning building.