Must See Movies: a "waiting" list

In the hopes of further distracting myself and all the rest of you sorry-arse gents, I give to you this... LIST. Please consider it your sworn duty to contribute to rather than disparage or otherwise I shall throw a high, hard sod-off in your direction. If you intend on posting mainstream, legacy recommendations, say something about why you like it so much.

Without further ado...

Must-see War Documentary:

"The Fog of War" - (Eleven Lessons From the Life of Robert S. McNamara)

2003; Director: Errol Morris

Although I have never been an admirer of McNamara, I found this documentary very thought-provoking and though 85 at the time of filming, he is just as sharp as ever. Well worth the DVD-only Netflix rental guys. Seriously, I cannot recommend it enough, despite any feelings you may have towards the man.

Action/Suspense War Movies:

"When Trumpets Fade" - HBO

1990?

I think I like WTF because the actors are pretty much unknown (other than Dwight Yoakam) and it is a grim and non-glorifying look at the campaign in the Hurtgenwald. Has some rather memorable dialogue in it as well.

"The Great Escape" - MGM

1963; Director/Producer: John Sturges

What isn't there to like here? Great actors, awesome Bavarian scenes, perfect Elmer Berstein score, suspense and stirring. I particularly enjoy the landscape shots and seeing some of my favorite actors at their best.

"Where Eagles Dare" - MGM

1968; Director: Brian Hutton, Producer: Elliott Kastner

This adaptation of Alistair MacLean's novel is another great romp through Bavaria. I always liked the mystery aspect of not knowing what was really going on in the plot. Another once-a-year minimum watch in my book.

There are plenty of others, but I don't want to be greedy. Next!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too did enjoy "Where eagles dare", the movie and the song, much more than "The guns of Navarone". Though in bookform, it's reverese.

The Iron Cross is one of my favorites. kind of unusal, in depicting the german side on the eastern front. It's the ultimate "War is hell" movie.

If you fancy something thats not the usual hollywood try these...

Stalingrad. (1993)

A film from Germany about a platoon at Stalingrad. Good action and very moving.

Citroen and flame. (2008)

Danish film about the resistance in Denmark. Really well acted.

Soldier of Orange. (1977)

Dutch fim about uni students joining the resistance in Holland. A young rutger hauer plays his part really well. Some humerous but likeable charachters.

Saints and Soldiers. (2003)

Low budget but really well done film about a few men surviving malmedy behind enemy lines.

Brotherhood (2004)

South korean film about 2 brothers fighting in the korean war. An incredible film.

Days of Glory (2006)

French/Algerian fim about North African soldiers fighting for france through 43-45. Also very good.

Max Manus. Man of War. (2008)

Norweigan fim about Norways resistance. Very gritty film really well fimed.

If you like war films but have not seen some of these i recommend you try a few. Most i have seen many times. Most can be found in blockbusters etc on the world cinema shelf.

Hope you find something you like :)

steve

You could add:

The Big Red One (1980)

Lee Marvin leads his platoon pretty much through the whole war. There's the heavily edited theater version and the longer director's cut. Its closer to 'Patton' than to 'MASH' in style, an old fashioned American war film.

12 O'clock High 1949

Superb study of the psychological impact of war on men

A Generation (1954) Kanal (1956) Ashes and Diamonds (1958)

Stunning trilogy of films that show the Polish resistance to the Germans and then the Russians.

Paths of Glory (1957)

One of Kirk Douglas' best, in my opinion, he plays an army lawyer defending soldiers on a trumped up charge of cowardice

The Beast of War (1988)

"Tank boy!" Claustrophobic depiction of tank crews in Afghanistan

Das Boot (1981)

Not the shortened version the full 5 plus hours

Come and See (1985)

Elem Klimov's flawed but engrossing depiction of the brutalities of partisan warfare on the Eastern Front

Battleground (1949)

A good depiction of the chaos of war, as the Ardennes offensive breaks

A Midnight Clear (1992)

Like the above as it is small unit and based in the Ardennes, a good script makes you actually care for these people and the predicament they find themselves in.

If you fancy something thats not the usual hollywood try these...

Brotherhood (2004)

South korean film about 2 brothers fighting in the korean war. An incredible film.

Hope you find something you like :)

steve

A Big Budget Korean TV show that is well worth your time. I learned a lot about Korean life and social thinking...It is their Civil War and our "Police Action" after all ;) The T-34-76 wasn't half bad, either!

Fog of War is a must see for anybody bored obout listening to the conspiracy theorists going on about USSR notbeing a real threat and the Military Industrial Complex talking up the threat. +1 for brotherhood.

I actually like the fims "Patton" and "MacArthur" and "The Longest Day."

Like the sound of "Men at Arnhem" being made into a film; but we have quite a wait. IMDB has it slated for 2014. Yeah let's not forget "A Bridge too Far", my old sergeant major was in it as an extra.

Some great suggestions guys- thanks! Oh, and I missed a typo on Bernstein. :rolleyes:

I have Citroen and Flame on my Netflix to watch list, just have to do it. Some others I have not seen, looking forward to checking them out.

I will add one other that is an all-time favorite of mine:

"The Train"

1950's Director: John Frankenheimer (of "Grand Prix" fame)

Simply amazing cinematography shot in black and white. Burt Lancaster plays a French Railroad officer who also runs a French underground operation. He is asked to save the nation's art collection from the nazis taking them to Germany. By the way, Burt was an acrobat in his younger years and did all the stunts in his films.

Ah, I see Gromit's, already mentioned 'The Train'. Burt Lancaster's best film.

Let's not forget;

"Is Paris Burnng?"

1966 film on th liberation of Paris. The film makers got everyone in Paris to take down their TV roof antennas for filming.That's going to have to be a 'must-see' film when the modules show up. :)

I liked 2007s Tali-Ihantala 1944. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYo-zlaDby4&feature=related

The Soviet army breaks through the Finnish defences on the Karelian Isthmus in June 1944, advancing with overwhelming force. Somehow, the Finnish troops must find the strength to fight back, with all odds against them. The Battle of Tali-Ihantala was the largest battle ever fought in the history of the Nordic countries. This film depicts the true events through five separate stories.

Let´s not forget

"Enemy at the Gates" either. Impressive Stalingrad movie with a couple of weak points IMO.

"Stalingrad", "Das Boot", "Die Brücke" (The bridge) and "Der Untergang" (the Downfall?) will definetely be on my list too. (All german BTW, they make great WWII films)

And how come noone´s metioned "Saving private Ryan"? Does that just go without saying?

And here´s one to avoid at all costs: "Terror on wheels". Lousy adaptation of Sven Hazel (Hassel)´s questionable novel of same title :-P

"Breakthrough" with Frank Lovejoy. US Infantry in Normandy. It wowed me in 1950 at age 7. I've only seen it once since, about 20 years ago, and it was pretty damn good.

Oh, and "Night of the Generals" with Omar Sharif. Not much action, though, because it's a murder mystery/detective story within the Wermacht about 1944, but the action scenes which I think were in the Warsaw Ghetto, was pretty good.

has anybody mentioned;

band of brothers

private ryan

Dark blue world - although this is like the battle of britain rather than a normandy lead up.

Brest fortress - just out i believe. Real panzerIII in it?

Is every mans war any good? Ardennes action?

Only the brave was ok.

The last drop was good fun... not a great film though.

Great movies;

Tali-Ihantala 1944

das boot - i have the 5hr version in my hand sent by a mate but not had time to watch yet. U571 aswell was ok if a little incorrect. Always wanted to get my hands on the series silent service with bones from star trek in it.

Stalingrad - german version.. what a great film!!! This is perfect if you want a german infantry perspective.