Must See Movies: a "waiting" list

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot's of classics mentioned. Kelly's Heroes is an all time favorite I can always watch.

Here is one You probalbly would have a hard time finding, "Too Young The Hero". This was a made for TV movie I taped on VHS back in the day and still have. It is the story of america's youngest WWII vet named Calvin Graham ( played very well by Rick Shroeder). He was a large 12yr old boy who forged papers to enlist in the navy. and saw some major combat in the pacific. Eventually his capt. found out, and shipped him home where due to a foul up he was labeled a deserter, thrown in the brig, raped, and could not convince the navy he was really 12 yrs old. This was very well done, and acted. I really felt for this brave kid.

I take it this is for war movies only...

I nominate The Thin, Red Line. If you haven't seen this yet, you need to. It's a bit slow paced in parts but the acting is excellent and most of the script is too. Especially awesome is Nick Nolte as a Lt. Colonel who wants to make one last push for a promotion by ordering his men into a suicide fight against a dug-in Japanese army on top of a hill.

The 2nd film I recommend is Tigerland. Good little film about the training men had to go through before being sent off to Nam'. I honestly thought Colin Farrell had a great career in front of him after seeing him in this film. Don't know what happened...

"A Walk in the Sun" is another one...curiously good. It's like pickles and peanut butter sandwiches.

And "Forgotten Soldier" is being made into a film? I'll bet Dorosh is growing big, juicy warts after hearing about that one.

You newbies can ask me about that one...the old timers around here might remember him and his opinion about Guy Sajer.

Heh...

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

There's no fighting, but I think it's a powerful film that portrays what those guys must have gone through upon returning home from the war. My favorite scene is toward the end of the movie, where Dana Andrews is walking through the boneyard filled with aircraft waiting to be scrapped. It makes you realize, even though they were only machines, they carried the lives of those men through hell.

A Walk in the Sun (1945)

Directed by Lewis Milestone, who also directed All Quiet on the Western Front. This film focuses on one platoon and their mission to take a farmhouse after hitting the beach at Salerno. It really drives home the small picture in an operation by just focusing on this one group. You don't know and aren't informed of what else is going on. You see it from this platoon's perspective the whole way through.

Cross of Iron is an awesome movie about a German squad on the Eastern Front. Real T-34's and a Stug to boot!!! Also MG34/42, Maxim MG, 8cm Mortars, all authentic weapons and equipment, a Pak 40 as well. I just watched it the other day, ending was different but a must see. Made in 1977 I believe.

Hi,

My vote would go for The Pacific and Band of Brothers by Spielberg.

Unoriginal choices but for high intensity warfare of any era I think the two above the best. With The Pacific being by the thickness of a cigarette paper the best.

Das Boot is also great.... my number three.

Interesting that all three are made for TV.... not really movies...

All the best,

Kip.

PS If The Forgotten Soldier is made to Spielberg standards it will be a stunner... :).

There's been a lot of good ones over the years but these stick out in mind. They are not ranked in any order...

Run Silent, Run Deep

The Enemy Below

Empire of the Sun

Battleground

Saving Private Ryan

The Blue Max

Band of Brothers

The Pacific

Tora Tora Tora

Das Boot

Twelve O'clock High

Cross of Iron

Best Year of Our Lives

Well, Patton (1970?) is still one of my favorites. George C Scott was amazing.

Restrepo is about the 173 Abn in the Konogol Valley in Afghanistan. This if you havent been there is one of the most dangerous places in our little war.

The Green Berets has been panned through out the decades but its filmed beautifully and gives a look into Special Operations that I cant remember being in other films.

Sands of Iwo Jima is my all time favorite movie.

Midway is beyond epic.

Thank you Frenchy for mentioning Blue Max. However, I have to give you all a big "shame on you" for not mentioning Gettysburg (although arguably it is more properly identified in the "over acting" genre). If we are branching out into the Civil War then Glory rates a mention. Starship Troopers of course, and the Desert Fox was a solid effort, albeit lacking in realism (it is a bit jarring to see Rommel prancing about the desert without his signature skin lesion).

There are lots more (Zulu anyone?) but in my opinon the single most important element in any war movie is the presence of Jürgen Prochnow. Given that Das Boot has already been taken, I vote for The Keep.

post-32529-141867622179_thumb.jpg