December Normandy Bones

Why does it matter? The game is going to be the same thing whether it is called "CM:Normandy Is The Balls" or "CM:Insert Own Name Here". Or is there someone here that would not buy the game if they didn't like the name?

The actual answer is, as it usually is, simple. We want to unveil the name of the game at the same time as we get the website and dedicated Forum up and running. Since the latter is taking longer than we wanted (there's other critical things to do that keep getting in the way) revealing the name is also taking longer than we want.

Well, I did myself say my annoyance was strange. Nonetheless, annoyed is what I am. And baffled.

For a game definitely going to be released in 2009, almost ready for the full length of 2010 and yet you guys still not ready to announce it. That's unusual. and it's a big departure from Ye Olden Days where my curiosity towards CMBO was regularly and substantially sated. Waiting on your games was more fun then. And I don't like the change.

I fully realize my opinions won't change a damn thing at your end. It is what is, to fall back on platitude. But I'll still give you my opinion. Not a whole lot else to do around here in this place of opinion giving.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe in Santa Claus, and Battlefront and all the people behind. People we have waited this long and it will be worth it I am Sure. Christmas is never late Christmas is every day in my house and I am sure that Battlefront it is too. They work hard stick to their ideals and Market plans or we would not be here talking in this forum today. When the new Title staged in Normandy, the Web Site is Up, and Forum space is availible., Then Merry Christmas, Today , the 25th Of December, Narch 29th, this year or next year, I would love to be there when Steve, Charles, or whomever clicks button to start all the pages!

Boys all i have to say is go have an eggnog, hot toddy, Glass of wine from Winecape, Hug your children, Sing a Peng Christmas Hymn, hug your family and enjoy the season, Christmas will come to all of us When the new title is ready!

Merry Christmas

Michael "gonzo" Gonzalaez

You're not the one confused :D Waffen SS comes in the 1st Module.

Steve

That's the only thing about the release I"m concerned about, the lack of FJ's and SS in the base game. They were involved in so many of the important engagements in Normandy I'm almost resigned to accept that Heer will be used as substitutes in alot of scenarios.

I can understand the SS being a bit harder to get in, but the FJ's would have been a good comprimise.

*sound of can of invertabrates opening*

That's the only thing about the release I"m concerned about, the lack of FJ's and SS in the base game. They were involved in so many of the important engagements in Normandy I'm almost resigned to accept that Heer will be used as substitutes in alot of scenarios.

I can understand the SS being a bit harder to get in, but the FJ's would have been a good comprimise.

*sound of can of invertabrates opening*

Comprise to what? It's just too much to put it all in one go. To do US Army and Wehrmacht well is already a colossal task. For some of the fighting in the US sector the inclusion FJ would've been nice. Nice, but not absolutely essential. As for SS, they didn't show up until the party was pretty much over. Unless you wanted to include Brits, Canadians and Poles in the first release too?

A line had be drawn somewhere, and I can fully accept that. They'll get round to it sooner or later.

*checks BFC release history*

Okay... they'll get round to it later.

My December bones are frozen and creaking. I think I need another hip replacement. I'll just have to walk on these old rickety things until I get a new website/ Combat Mission Alan Smithy release. Take your time, Doc.

Ook, ook. Ready to refresh when the time is right. Then the proverbial feces will be thrown (in my case replete with horrible Photoshops). Prehensile tail awaiting duty when the time comes.

To the rest of you Monkeys, consider thus:

"Doctor, would an ape make a human doll, that talks?"

In the American sector? AFAIK the US only fought 17. SS Panzergrenadier-Division, and only then at the tail-end of its Normandy operations.

I believe elements of some other Waffen SS formations, including IIRC the 2nd Pz. Das Reich, saw at least some significant action against American forces in Normandy.

But I agree with your overall point; most of the SS formations that saw action in Normandy (and especially in the first two weeks of the campaign) were in the Commonwealth sectors, and American actions against SS formations in Normandy were limited and generally late in the campaign.

So I think BFC's decision to leave the SS formations for a later module is entirely reasonable. From a business standpoint, they need to leave something for later so people have an incentive to buy the later modules, and Commonwealth + Waffen SS makes a very attractive follow-up module to the initial release.

I'd rather have more accurate, complete Heer TOEs for the initial release, than I would BFC try to include all the other German TOEs, but have the TOEs as a whole be less complete and accurate due to dilution of resources & time. I have no problem with forking over a few more bucks for quality content, and I'm sure there are plenty of U.S. vs. Heer engagements to keep me entertained until the CW vs. SS module comes out.

Cheers,

YD

In the American sector? AFAIK the US only fought 17. SS Panzergrenadier-Division, and only then at the tail-end of its Normandy operations.

To be a bit more specific:

1. The 17th SS Pzgr Div fought the Americans from June 11th onward.

2 Other SS units saw action against the US during the Mortain counter attack (Operation Luttich), Hitler's attempt to contain the Cobra breakout.

...and completely agree that the Commonwealth + Waffen SS module is the dogs balls!

;)

To be a bit more specific:

1. The 17th SS Pzgr Div fought the Americans from June 11th onward.

2 Other SS units saw action against the US during the Mortain counter attack (Operation Luttich), Hitler's attempt to contain the Cobra breakout.

...and completely agree that the Commonwealth + Waffen SS module is the dogs balls!

;)

Huh, thought 17 SS PzGren fought them much later than that. Thanks (to you and YankeeDog as well) for the info! :)

Besides German Regulars and Fallshimjager, will there be any other German units persent in this first 'Normandy' module ?

I was thinking of the Luftwaffe Infantry ( usually all dark-grey uniforms ) that defend around towns of an Airbase, as well as Mountain Infantry ( dark-grey trousers w/Field-Grau tunics ). However, I am not of these two different units involved during 'Normandy'.

Besides German Regulars and Fallshimjager, will there be any other German units persent in this first 'Normandy' module ? =

OK, here we go again. :rolleyes: Do you mean the first module (modules are expansions to base games) or do you mean the base game?

As Steve has said (this should be searchable, I think):

Base game: US Army/Wehrmacht only (i.e. no SS, no FJ, no other Luftwaffe ground units)

1st Module: Commonwealth/SS and FJ

2nd Module: Market-Garden and most units necessary to simulate it

3rd Module: Random stuff that wasn't in the other releases

Besides German Regulars and Fallshimjager, will there be any other German units persent in this first 'Normandy' module?

Where did you get the information (or make the assumption) that Fallschirmjäger would be in the base game? :confused:

Remember US Vs stock standard Germans = Base game "CM:N" or "Normandy" or whatever

UK Vs SS = Module 1 (i.e. the second one produced).

... Vs ... = Module 2

etc.

Besides German Regulars and Fallshimjager, will there be any other German units persent in this first 'Normandy' module ?

I was thinking of the Luftwaffe Infantry ( usually all dark-grey uniforms ) that defend around towns of an Airbase, as well as Mountain Infantry ( dark-grey trousers w/Field-Grau tunics ). However, I am not of these two different units involved during 'Normandy'.

FJ will not be in initial release, nor will other Luftwaffe units as far as I know. I don't believe there were any significant Gebirgsjaeger units in the Normandy fighting.