December Normandy Bones

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you cant even send all units to attack something at the same time, its impossible. And forget about all those nice tactical orders from pulldown-menu.

During giving a single squad advanced tactical orders all others units cant be watched by the player.

The good old military simulation game will be degrade to a more arcade style game.

So i am really afraid that CM:N becomes a C&C game with more realism.

P.S. the only way to cover these things would be a 2vs2 3vs3 MP-mode but that doesn't exists either.

Because you cant even send all units to attack something at the same time, its impossible. And forget about all those nice tactical orders from pulldown-menu.

Huh? Why can't you send all units to attack something at the same time? Do you mean that it's not practical while playing unpausable TCP/IP real time? I don't play much TCP/IP, but given that there are people who do, it seems pretty likely that it's not completely impractical.

Also the pulldown menu exists, press Spacebar. ;)

No you cant - you need to give orders one by one while doing that time goes by ...

And i know that the pull down is available, thats not what i meant.

I think I know what you are getting at. When CMBO was first released Battlefront made a big play of their WEGO system and the benefits it offered, and they were right.

However, when they came to design CMSF they made the decision that realtime gamers were going to be important to them and as a result we lost multi-player WEGO as we had known and, in my case at least, loved it. However, as Steve has made clear on numerous posts, we are not going to see it back anytime in the forseeable future.

There are those that love realtime (though how they fight big battles is beyond me) and they are happy. Those of us who like WEGO can still play against the AI and, if we have the patience, by Email, so we buy the games anyway. Battlefront sell enough copies of the game so they are happy.

Those of us who want to play TCP/IP WEGO as per CMx1 are a sufficiently small minority that BattleFront can ignore us, particularly as we buy the games anyway. Its a shame, but it is a commercial decision they have made and I am damn sure they aren't going to change it.

and if you want LAN based multi player, then just adapt the PBEM process as follows:

1. Generate your WEGO turn.

2. Save it to a common location (a shared folder on either machine).

3. tell your opponent to open the file.

4. GOTO Step 1.

Are you kidding me ? 2011 ? space-station in orbit ? nuclear fusion reactors build ?

And i should play like in the early 90´s ?

No but if its that or not play, then I'm happy to work around it.

Its the same process you just need to talk to someone - not too hard. :)

Be fair, GibsonM, it is a pretty crap solution, especially when we had something that worked so well with CMx1. BattleFront must be one of the few, if not the only, game company to remove functionality bewteen iterations.

Need rounds in MP too!!! 'Dont need second Command & Conquer . For what all these complicated futures if one has only time to give the order "run".

Think about the fact how many potential buyers will be lost , if they see so complicated game and have no time to manage the gameplay. This game is not for counter strike players , but rather chess players, who needs time!

I really wish people would stop complaining as if BFC deliberatly took sweeties away from them - I'm sure that they'd love to have WEGO multiplayer, 2v2 & 3v3 realtime etc. But they never removed functionality - the engine was built from scratch, and I'm sure there are real problems in the implementation, and other important things which other people want which have left these things undone. CMx2 is far more powerful than CMx1, with loads of added functionality.

Yes and I can just imagine the reception to a statement from Steve along the lines of:

"We have delayed The Normandy release indefinitely until we can sort out TCP/IP WEGO."

I can imagine the sh*t storm that would generate (and I suspect half the complainants would be from the group currently complaining that its not available).

BTS / BFC is a finite company with finite resources and accordingly they need to prioritise their effort.

"Getting "Normandy" finished" is just higher on the list than "Wave magic wand and get TCP/IP WEGO to work".

I didn't say it was good - did I?

I personally don't have a spare huge bucket of cash to throw at Steve and say "use this to fix TCP/IP WEGO".

Perhaps you do?

Many on the Beta Test team keep chipping away at this at every opportunity.

Gently, old chap, gently. I know the situation in the Ashes Series may not be all that you might of hoped for but that is no reason to start having a go.

In my previous post I tried to explain to someone who I think is a relative newcomer to our community how we came to be where we are with TCP/IP WEGO. I am not complaining and I am certainly not asking for it to be "fixed".

In fact, I am respectful of Battlefront's decision. I wish back in 2005/6 that they had decided otherwise but they didn't for the reasons that seemed best to them at the time. I am still here, still buying their products, maybe they have recruited some of the twitcher crowd (though my 17 year old still plays in WEGO), so who am I to say they were wrong.

PBEM is still a crap solution though.

Oh.. my... goodness. Marc Anton, if you didn't want to come across as a spoiled and lazy drama queen, I have some bad news for you.

PBEM is practically the same as TCP, but oh noes, it's too much work. Sure, it could be better, Ye Olde TCP would be great. But to then say turn based multi-player doesn't exist, it's a lot of hooey! What you want is possible, but you don't want it. Ho-hum. :rolleyes:

Are you kidding me ? 2011 ? space-station in orbit ? nuclear fusion reactors build ?

And i should play like in the early 90´s ?

*ahem*

Humanity has had a space station in orbit several decades ago. Nuclear Fusion Reactors are decades older then that. Not the greatest example of hi-tech that CM:N needs to live up to. :)

PBEM is still a crap solution though.

Well I rather like PBEM, and have no use for TCP. I appreciate the freedom that the asynchronous nature of PBEM gives me to fit multi player into my life, and the ability to play against people in different timezones.

TCP is, for me, still a crap solution ever since it was introduced in CMx1 :rolleyes:

Something about horses and courses.