Congrats...

From the http://www.battlefront.com

On July 1st, 2010, Battlefront reached another milestone in its long term strategy to sustainably increasing the quantity, quality, and variety of serious minded wargames for our under served wargaming hobby. After 13 years of operating with a single programmer, Battlefront co-founder Charles Moylan is now joined by a second programmer, Philip Culliton.

With the unofficial official job title of First Second Programmer, Philip is tasked with producing the code necessary for the many Combat Mission Modules planned for the coming years. Not only will his efforts increase Battlefront's capacity to produce new content for Combat Mission, the extra programming muscle he provides frees up Charles to concentrate on "big picture" features for Combat Mission's future releases.

Philip is no stranger to his new environment, being both a long term Battlefront fan and Combat Mission Beta Tester. Additionally, Philip's programming skills were "battle tested" last year when he recoded CMBB and CMAK to work with Microsoft's Vista operating system. His proven dedication to wargaming and skill as a programmer made him a logical choice for the new position of First Second Programmer.

Welcome to the team, Philip!

Sure seems a smart choice to hire another brain.

I'll pass on my own congrats to Phil even though he should slaving away on coding instead of reading the Forums ;)

The move is probably an obvious one to most of you. Developing the game engine as well as the Modules has been more time consuming than we had anticipated, which is not optimal for either you guys or us. This has been probably more apparent to us than to you, but our primary concern is having a sustainable business model so that we don't kill long term potential by making ill advised short term decisions.

There are two boring, but important, backend business reasons we have stayed around for so long while so many other game companies have gone under...

1. We only hire when we know for sure we can't handle the work with existing resources.

2. We only hire when we know for sure we can afford the extra expenses.

For a while now we've been suspecting that both conditions existed and therefore internally we've been thinking about this move for a while. However, we wanted to make sure of both before making the move. Recently we came to the conclusion that recent code efficiency improvements were helpful, but still not enough. We really need an extra pair of hands to integrate the new materials required of each Module. Thankfully, CM:SF sales allow us to get those hands now instead of waiting until after Normandy is released.

Steve

Congratulations!

So, do they both get their own jar?

I would guess that Philip's "brain jar" will be placed next to Charles' for convenience sake. It will make it easier for Steve to keep them both supplied with nutrients (a.k.a imported German beer), and will also aid in collaboration.

Great news! Almost as good as a Normandy bone!

Well...almost... :)

Welcome aboard Philip! Remember not to take any crap from Steve, Moon, or any of us forum members. Aside from that - get the HELL coding! And don't stop 'til NATO is out, at least! As a matter of fact, don't EVER stop coding! Go on! Hop to it! Hex away! :D

This is great news! Congratulations and best wishes to Philip and BF.

Out of curiosity, does the fact that Phillip created the CMx1 Vista patches mean his learning curve will be less than had he just walked in? Or, is CMx2 coded in a radically different way that means he'll be starting from scratch? How long will take for him to feel he's operating at peak efficiency?

Congratulations and good luck to Phil!

Out of curiosity, does the fact that Phillip created the CMx1 Vista patches mean his learning curve will be less than had he just walked in? Or, is CMx2 coded in a radically different way that means he'll be starting from scratch? How long will take for him to feel he's operating at peak efficiency?

There's probably nothing similar between that previous project and this new one, except one: he's proven that he can make some sort of sense of Charlie's crazy code. :D And that's actually more important than anything else.

The only similarity between the CMx1 code and the CMx2 code is the guy who made them. So nope, handling the Vista fix doesn't do anything to help with familiarizing himself with CMx2. However, it did familiarize Phillip with the reasons we ditched CMx1 and moved to CMx2. As he put it the other day, "I could see you were backed into a corner". He has the opposite opinion of the CMx2 code, which is good because we don't see any corners in it either :D

Just so you know, Phillip's already fairly familiar with the CMx2 code even before we hired him, so hopefully he'll be able to make significant changes on his own AND have it compile AND have it run without crashing ;)

Steve

This is great news indeed, BF has more releases and features than before and we the customers will in turn have more to complain about. :D Ok seriously though, now we can go down the wish/priority list.

Funny, wasn't there just a thread about this a few days ago.

Is this all linked to my third post on this thread http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=92683 I made in tech support, I pay $45 for a copy of the game i didnt need and all of a sudden BF.C recruits another programmer ???

Wow i feel sorry for him if all he's being paid is $45 :)

Anyhow congrats on the new job I assume you don't like sunlight as most programmers I know in the games industry never see Sunlight....

Ok gonna stop posting now as this is my 11th post in 7 years don't want to over do it