Totally in love with the scenario editor!

I just wasted an afternoon playing around with the map editor and I have to say it's totally sweet! Smaller terrain tiles, a lot of variation for terrain and 3d objects, and the new "flavour objects" totally kick butt. I see myself spending a lot of time creating maps with this fantastic tool!

cmsfeditor2.jpg

Originally posted by Premierleutnant:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Totally in love with the scenario editor!

Me too. ;) But some more objects would be fine. Civilian vehicles maybe too. smile.gif And water ... and bridges ... :D </font>

I am addicted to IT. It's the (semi)secret weapon in BFC's arsenal. People seem to be bummed out that the modding potential is "less" than some other games, but they are missing the boat completely. Making new maps and scenarios is the tinkerer's paradise. At least until AndrewTF shows up to make new uniform masterpieces.

Originally posted by Yskonyn:

I don't think you come across water that often in the CMSF setting.

Of course you would. The Mid-East isn't as dry a "desert" as most people think.

Most cities or urban areas are built near rivers. These rivers lead to canals and irrigation systems.

My memory of rural Iraq is large canals, irrigation ditches and fields, salt marshes, thick palm groves with tall grass. I'm sure rural Syria is similar.

Originally posted by tc237:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Yskonyn:

I don't think you come across water that often in the CMSF setting.

Of course you would. The Mid-East isn't as dry a "desert" as most people think.

Most cities or urban areas are built near rivers. These rivers lead to canals and irrigation systems.

My memory of rural Iraq is large canals, irrigation ditches and fields, salt marshes, thick palm groves with tall grass. I'm sure rural Syria is similar. </font>

I'm embarking on doing a map also, on an actual battlefield and the closer to the real thing as possible. Hence one thing I'd like in the scenario editor, now that it's possible to work with contour lines, is a map underlay with over which we could simply trace them actual contour lines.

Glad you guys like it! I had to pay Charles off with wine and chocolate to get him to do so much work on it :D You guys can thank Tarkus for the wonderful graphics.

Jomni,

Take away random map / mission generation (which results into awkward maps) and replace it with full-featured editor.
Yes and no. We wanted more detailed terrain, which meant we need both a better editor and we had to move away from random maps. As we all know, the maps generated in CMx1 were sometimes quite bad (though generally OK). And that was child's play compared to CMx2's possibilities.

Downside is that it takes so much time to set a scenario up.
Yes and no (again) smile.gif Once you get used to it you'll find making the map itself is not any more time consuming than CMx1. Unit purchase and placement is about the same too. Where things become more time consuming is thinking about how you want it to play. Or to think of it another way, what you want the story to be and how to make it feel right. What Objectives to you use? What should each side's AI do? These things take some getting used to, so after a while you get to do them very quickly.

The big learning curve, and the time consuming part, are the AI Scripts. As the saying goes, "with great power comes great responsibility". Throwing together an AI plan is easy, but if you don't test it... well, let's just say you're likely to make mistakes and you should give it a couple of run throughs before sending it out to someone ;)

Steve

Once you mess around with the editor some, you can totally see why randomly generated maps were axed - no way any random map could look as good as what you could make.

Editor is insanely powerful. It was easy to make some vague scenery in CMX1, but now you're really put to the test. Can't wait to see what people come up with.