Totally in love with the scenario editor!

please help!

i started to play around with the editor today, and found, to my shock, that nearly every aspect of the editor has got better BUT in the map editor all the height nubers are WHITE!?!?

i mean sorry, i have today made a small map with 900*900 meters, really hilly, and now iam really puzzled how to get the houses and streets and stuff where i want them!?

i mean i just see a flat board of little white numbers and depending on zoom lvl, none.

i also can see that there cant be 999 coulours, but there have to be a way!?

EDIT

sorry for the late edit,

i played a bit frther...how do i scroll the map to place objects when zoomed in!? i cant reach teh east side of my map in a zoomlvl i can place objects with...!?

may sound dumb but i scrolled through the whole editor part in the manual, found nothing, but it have to work, otherwhise the game hadnt such stock maps!? smile.gif

[ July 31, 2007, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

I just noticed something as I was working on a map. There is no Erase brush?!! One part of my map wasnt working, so I wanted to erase a large area and start from scratch. We have to go back to each individual tile selection, pick "None" and erase them? That cant be the only way to erase an area?!! :( Am I missing something?

Pandur, just turn the elevations off when you work on roads etc. by pressing e.

You scroll the map view by moving mouse to the edges.

oh, damn i noticed it too after some retry, it was too easy, i kept looking for the little arrows to press to move the map.

strange is that i never accidently hit the screen edge...well, now i have it.

about the elevation thingy, iam not hindered by the nubers but iam hindered that i have no visual indicator how the map thopography looks like.

for my map now i worked it out by placing houses on major landmarks and points in the map so i have visual ponts wich tell me where is wich ridge or dip or whatever.

i meen in the old editor you could see the topography by the colours of the nubers, now you cant see it at all.

now lets say you want to give that ridge line brushes...but how do i find it on a 1km*1km + map in a sea of white nubers after i decided so in the 3d view!?

i mean you can work around by marking landmarks with objects but it takes time and is verry uncompftable.

thats my only real proble with the editor so far...

and i have another question i feel could fit here;

i want to set up a map where guys should hide in trenches, but isnt this all sensless when you can see the trench without the fighters in it from the start of the battle!? its a terrain feature now so it is loaded from start i think.

is it down to placing decoy trenches again to keep one from fireing at the only trenches in sight!?

that will bog down some trench heavy maps i think!?

also would you guys put em in trenches than or not!? i think its unneccesary to have them just hide in open becouse they are dead meat too fast, when in trenches you could see em...damn situation :D

[ July 31, 2007, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

• 2 weeks later...

wadialbugger1.jpg

Ok, the thing is finally ready for some beta testing. I have played many battles and all in all it works quite well, sometimes the AI still screws up horribly, sometimes it almost resembles a competent human player. Still, carnage, burning and exploding stuff galore. smile.gif

Now, I need a few people willing to play the scenario 2-3 times on either side and comment on any problems found.

PLEASE NOTE: the scenario is still NOT finished, there are NO briefings yet, and there are still a couple of rough edges. If you just want to enjoy the battle when it's ready, then PLEASE wait a couple of days and don't waste your time playing a yet unfinished scenario. If you want to help me though, please download the battle and GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK.

Simple briefing:

US forces: take the victory locations (the village and the police HQ) without suffering excessive casualties. You are the point of the spear, pursuing syrian army units after a succesful breakthrough the day before. Air force says they have destroyed an enemy armoured column fleeing to the west near the village of Wadi al Bugger, only infantry forces are expected to try to slow down the pursuit.

You start with a Stryker recon platoon with another Stryker platoon a couple of minutes behind, and a Bradley platoon in reserve if you stumble onto heavier resistance. A pair of F-16s provide air support.

Syrian forces: after the US forces broke through our main line of resistance our forces are in full retreat to avoid encirclement. Our tank forces have suffered heavy losses both from US ground and air forces. Your mission is to defend Wadi al Bugger and slow down the american advance. Although succesfully defending your positions is important, it is even more important to inflict heavy casualties on the US forces and, if possible, limit your own casualties. You need to buy us some time!

You have the remains of an infantry company at your disposal, with an armoured infantry platoon in reserve, ready to be deployed on short notice. A pair of mortars will provide fire support.

[ August 15, 2007, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Originally posted by Premierleutnant:

... some more objects would be fine. Civilian vehicles maybe too ...

Civvie vehs are in already.

Purchase some technicals and/or taxis, then 'destroy' or 'immobilize' them in the editor.

Ta da.

I love the elevation system. It "so rocks" as my niece says, but not having water, overpasses and bridges, "so sucks" - "Like totally" (am I saying this right?)

Steel beats Pro has by far the best editor out there, but I have very high hopes for this system and I think I have only scratched the surface. I really need to play some stff written by other people.

...and I am very up for kiking someones ass, once we have a useable patch!

Originally posted by RT North Dakota:

I love the elevation system.

I've been trying to make a map of a little town myself but the way to plot the contour lines and make a sort of level area and a creek bed that wont change when I add the correct bumps and dips for the landscape is proving to be a challenge.

Probably need to dig up that scenario design / map editor thread from a couple weeks ago.