CMx2 game about Nato vs Warsaw Pact 1980's in Europe?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having grown up almost literally in the shadow of the 'iron curtain' during the 70s and 80s I remember the palpable fear that the Soviet Pact would invade and the situation would rapidly escalate to global nuclear war to 'save' us from communism.
"We had to destroy the world to save it"

As far as NATO/WP goes, the only reason I'm interested in such scenarios is because it represents one of the only conceivable scenarios in which fairly equivalent forces with close-to-modern equipment go at it in a big way.

'Course, I guess we can have hypothetical China-America stuff for that, now. Now that might be an interesting module (though I don't expect it to happen).

The other reason is that Charles and I don't have much interest in alternate history.
With the frequency that threads like this pop up this comment should just be turned into an image (like the frequently seen "Search") to be posted when it comes up.

'Course, I guess we can have hypothetical China-America stuff for that, now. Now that might be an interesting module (though I don't expect it to happen).
I imagine if that was going to be done (which I imagine is highly unlikely) it would fall under title status (making it even more unlikely).

That weblink reminded me. Rumors were floating around awhile ago that Tom Clancy's first book "Red Storm Rising" was going to go into big-budget-blockbuster film production. Talk about Cold War alternate history! Back in the old Vietnam War days people were nostalgic for the imagined certainties of WWII. Nowadays people are nostalgic for the simple bi-polar certainties of the Cold War.

Originally posted by J Ruddy:

You know what I'd like, a sci-fi setting like the old bullfrog series Syndicate.

But then I am strange that way...

What are you on about? Does this and your earlier CM Dropshot (Drop Team?) remark mean that you equate this game concept to "Space Lobsters"? I think those expressing enthusiasm for a CM version of Nato v WP do so for much the same reasons they bought CMx1 and will buy CMx2...because they are tactical simulators of real-life weapon systems.

Originally posted by CBR:

hm well I guess we just have to wait and see how big a commercial flop this game http://www.worldinconflict.com/ will be tongue.gif

CBR

Too bad games like this are being made that offer no tactical realism what so ever.

Looks purty though. The music is great. But it does not even approach CM:SF as a tactical sim, not even CM.

The best blend would be CM:SF with lots of eye candy and stuff, but with an emphasis on reality.

Originally posted by Imperial Grunt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CBR:

hm well I guess we just have to wait and see how big a commercial flop this game http://www.worldinconflict.com/ will be tongue.gif

CBR

Too bad games like this are being made that offer no tactical realism what so ever.

Looks purty though. The music is great. But it does not even approach CM:SF as a tactical sim, not even CM.

The best blend would be CM:SF with lots of eye candy and stuff, but with an emphasis on reality. </font>

How about a Greece-Cyprus/Turkey border conflict? Think about it, Leo2's,T80s BMPs,M60s,

hummers with AT-14s and lots of evenly balanced hardware. Combine this with the endless possibilities offered by the landscape, the flat fields of Thrace, the picturesque aegean islands and the mid east climate of cyprus and you have something I would certainly buy...I'm not sure for the rest of you though smile.gif

PS. There is already a decent campaign try in WinSPMBT btw.

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Imperial Grunt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CBR:

CBR

The best blend would be CM:SF with lots of eye candy and stuff, but with an emphasis on reality. </font>

Now that game would've been cool if it had been like XCom or Jagged Alliance...to me it just looks like a prettier version of Command And Conquer...which bored the crap outta me even when it was a new genre.

As for the topic as a whole, I think I am just about up for any period of warfare BF might do, WWII being my fave of course...I for one would kill to have them do Nam. Nobody yet, has made a decent game set during that era, on the scale CM plays at. I can't imagine it wouldn't sell. It's a void just waitin' to be filled.

Mord.

Maybe a future module will pit a NATO force versus a notional E.Euro force that is equipped with the latest Russian military hardware.

Here is a video about the T-90. Its narratted in Russian as well.

And maybe I am biased, but if I had to go head to head with either of these two tanks, I would bet on the Abrams.

M1 Abrams Vrs T-90

Interesting video, Grunt - thanks for posting it.

Not sure whether they have their facts straight, but they claim the T-90 surpasses the M1A1 on almost every level (except satelite link, which the video quickly adds will soon be added to the T-90).

I could translate some of the claims made if any expert in tanks cares to check 'em. I'd be interested to see how much is truth and how much is fiction.

Oh, and I'd love a CM: Fulda Gap type game :D

I definitely think the success of games like Red Alert (lol, oldy) and Flashpoint points to a market existing.

But hey, whadduiknow. ;)

I'm surprised kip hasn't shown up in this thread yet. He could go on for pages on this subject. And he'd be right. NATO vs. Warsaw Pact circa 1980 would be a great game! But I guess we'll settle for a pseudo-Russian force of Syrians armed with some what-if weaponry when the modules come out. Blue on blue will be a kick in the ass. Too bad no French.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

The other reason is that Charles and I don't have much interest in alternate history. A big clash between NATO and the Warsaw Pact didn't happen, obviously.

Steve

Interesting.. what is US v Syria other than alternate history (or alternate reality)?

;)

I understand the why though... the military contracts would be more likely with this game than a Cold War game. From a gaming perspective though I would find the Cold War game more enticing and interesting for the long term; but that's just me.. I grew up and served during that era so it's embedded in my psyche.

Bil

Hi Bil,

nteresting.. what is US v Syria other than alternate history (or alternate reality)?
Nice try... it's been tossed at a dozen of times before already :D One can say with absolute certainty that a Cold War battle between NATO and Warsaw Pact forces never happened. That's a 0.00% chance of it coming to pass. As unlikely as a near future matchup may be between Syria and the US, it does have a higher chance than that. Note also that we did not do some sort of US vs. China or US vs. Russia game like some wanted. We picked a plausible, though not likely, scenario. These other ones are about as likely as the NATO vs. Warsaw Pact battle that never happened.

I understand the why though... the military contracts would be more likely with this game than a Cold War game. From a gaming perspective though I would find the Cold War game more enticing and interesting for the long term; but that's just me.. I grew up and served during that era so it's embedded in my psyche.
I've said this before, but I think it gets forgotten. We never, ever intended on making CM:SF for the military. If the military wants it, fine, but that would be a bonus. We made this game for gamers. And quite understandably, current conflicts are far more attractive to gamers than things that never, ever happened.

I'm not saying a game with NATO vs. Warsaw Pact has no appeal, I'm just saying its appeal is so small that it is not commercially viable. Therefore, even if Charles and I had some driving passion to make such a game (and we do not) we'd still not do it.

Steve

[ December 23, 2006, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]