Looks like piracy

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Also, it's rated E for Everyone. How could a game like this get an E rating? I realize there is no blood, but there is still lots of death and destruction.

The CDV version has an ELSPA (industry self-regulators) rating of 11+. It doesn't look like the CDV CD which is mainly red in colour.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sunflower Farm Boy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BulletRat:

I dunno about the rest of you guys but I burn a backup and use that to play off - keep the original in mint condition. (Just something I do with all me games.)

Ditto that. I've been doing that since the C-64 days on 5 1/4"s. Now I burn two copies for myself, and sell the originals on e-Bay to get as much $$$ back as possible. I just pad the shipping costs to cover the cost of buying the game at EB or wherever.

As for piracy, hey, it's only illegal if you get caught.</font>

Every third person who has PC is potential pirate.
Yes, but only a fool with a total disregard for other people's property and rights then goes and announces their actions on the makers'/owners' own forum. To do so is simply taking the p***!

It doesn't look like the CDV CD which is mainly red in colour.
Not the French version I received. It's green, like the one shown in the pic, but it has the CDV, Battlefront.com, and Focus labels on that bottom edge. If European versions can be different, then I don't see why a batch made in the States specifically for export shouldn't be slightly different (with different cover-art) too. Or just a batch run off at a different point in time.

Items sold on internet auctions often crop up twice or more in succession. I haven't looked at this one in detail, but I have seen this happen on French sites before. The seller specifies a certain length of time that the auction will last, or it may be imposed by the site. If he doesn't get an offer that interests him in the period specified, then there's nothing to say that he HAS to sell it. He just puts the sale up again, and hopes to get higher bids second time around. Do we know for sure that this person already sold one copy? And how many people on this forum ordered more than one copy of the game, the "extra" one(s) being meant for friends or relations? If you looked at YOUR copy and decided that you hated the game, would you be so confident about giving the others as presents?

Looks to me like some people are over-reacting, but Battlefront can clear this up quickly by saying if they recognise the CD and cover or not. Until then, all this is mere speculation.

Originally posted by Rostik:

common don't tell me that you are all saint. More and more people are buying CD-RW drives for their PCs. And what are you using it for? Only for making a backup data, burning photos etc. Yeah, wright. Tell it to my grandmother! Every third person who has PC is potential pirate. Music,videos,- there are almost 4 million users of Kazaa p2p system today and it's growing extremly fast. tongue.gif [/QB]

No Saint here but there is no saintliness about it.

I suppose you think there is a difference between pirating software, music, etc. and stealing someones car because they left the key in it.

The honor system works for most people. For others, I lock the door to keep from tempting them.

Just to make it clear, I do not pirate software or music. I discourage others from doing it as well.

BTW I have a CD-R and use it to make legal copies of legally owned software. Backup important data. Make copies of patches, etc. for use in maintaining clients Pc's/networks. I use it to store digital photos that are my property and sounds that I have created. I use it to archive data.

I own tools that could be used to burgle (forceps, dental tools, files, dental picks) I happen to use them in various modeling hobbies. This does not give me license to burgle.

Is this a particularly difficult concept to understand? DO NOT PIRATE

[ December 22, 2002, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Egbert ]

Ok lets see.

1.The seller has a "0" rating (meaning no one's dealt with him/her)

2.From a country known for computer game piracy.

3.Using the interent to sell an item.

4.Is listing alot of hot new computer games starting at $1 bids.

5. The CD cover appears incorrect.

6. The color and markings on the CD appear incorrect.

7. One US dollar = 43 Thai Baht as of today.

I'd pass on it.

Since I see no smiley there, I encourage you to rot in hell.

:rolleyes:

Go sell some insurance goof. Hopefully you know more about that than copyright law, especially considering it is EXPLICITLY stated that copies can be made for personal use in your license agreement....and that's for any software you buy. What I do with my originals is nobody's concern but mine.

Originally posted by Sunflower Farm Boy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Since I see no smiley there, I encourage you to rot in hell.

:rolleyes:

Go sell some insurance goof. Hopefully you know more about that than copyright law, especially considering it is EXPLICITLY stated that copies can be made for personal use in your license agreement....and that's for any software you buy. What I do with my originals is nobody's concern but mine.</font>

Go sell some insurance goof. Hopefully you know more about that than copyright law, especially considering it is EXPLICITLY stated that copies can be made for personal use in your license agreement....and that's for any software you buy. What I do with my originals is nobody's concern but mine.

Idiot. Perhaps you should use a dictionary to look up words like "solely for backup." And you should probably read the part about being permitted to transfer the software only if you transfer or destroy all of your copies.

Dumb or dishonest, I can't decide. :mad:

You've definitely earned the jerkoff-of-the-day award.

Sorry guys, but people who pirate software really piss me off...it's the rest of us who pay for their antics.

I'll toss out another "Hi Mom' for good measure.

GG

Originally posted by Cos:

Ok lets see.

1.The seller has a "0" rating (meaning no one's dealt with him/her)

2.From a country known for computer game piracy.

3.Using the interent to sell an item.

4.Is listing alot of hot new computer games starting at $1 bids.

5. The CD cover appears incorrect.

6. The color and markings on the CD appear incorrect.

7. One US dollar = 43 Thai Baht as of today.

8. His e-mail address is fake. I sent him an e-mail and it failed to go through.

I dunno about the rest of you guys but I burn a backup and use that to play off - keep the original in mint condition. (Just something I do with all me games.)

Ditto that. I've been doing that since the C-64 days on 5 1/4"s. Now I burn two copies for myself, and sell the originals on e-Bay to get as much $$$ back as possible. I just pad the shipping costs to cover the cost of buying the game at EB or wherever.

Now I've made backups of games before, but they are for my own use. The original goes back into the box and rests on my bookcase for safekeeping, while I play off the copy. I do not spread the copy around. As some mentioned before. I do it to protect the original disk.

Now, I don't do it as often anymore, since cd's are long lasting, and most companies will replace a bad cd. I used to do it all the time with games that came out on 3.5 floppies, which had a habit of going bad. Especially on my Amiga ages ago.

Since you guys seem to know a lot about piracy.

Me and a friend of mine have an agreement..we split the cost. That means we only get one copy between us.

Since the games are at 60US$ this allows us to buy twice as many.

Now is this considered illegal?

I guess some will say "YES YOU ¤%&/¤"

But consider this:

I avtually share housing with this friend.

Since my girlfriend lives there as well I cant very well say he's my boyfriend..but...but..he COULD have been.

Do you see where I'm going here?

Any comments?

So under the "Any Port in a Storm" theory, I guess he certainly could have been your boyfriend. You Norwegians are a swinging lot. :D

I don't think you can compare your rent with copying software. If the payment to your landlord were based on occupancy of 1 person and then you moved others in for whatever reason then this would be equal to having a copy of the game on your friend's computer.

BDH