What is this Peng thread I keep reading about?

The Peng Challenge, also known as The Mutha Beautiful Thread, The One True Thread, the CessPool, and The MBT is hallowed ground populated by people who can't play CM and don't care. They hate each other with a passion, and they hate newbies even more.

They are allowed to exist by the forum administrator so that all their garbage stays in one place. Learn to love the The Peng Challenge from a distance, for it will be with you always, and it will always be on page one.

Treeburst155 out.

[ September 01, 2002, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

• 10 months later...

You mean to tell me that, somewhere out there, there isn't a website with the collected Peng threads? In a world that has Cockroach racing websites, and internet Bukkake clubs, there is no Peng website?

wait, I found it

http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/news/alumni/w99/ong.html

And another

http://www.groo.com/mail/msg00634.html

Can you really beat the line

"Grolly grolches mulches blochas wilchas wulches filches folches grimbets

grombets whooha bob macanilly say nee peng willie

Yeh"?

What is this Peng thread you keep reading about?

I shall endevor to enlighten you.

In the dim and distant past, BFC (then BTS) finally made available a beta demo of their much anticipated game, Combat Mission. Folks flocked from far and near to give this wonderous demo a try. Please understand that the oficial word from BFC was that they expected people to play the two scenarios once and then go back to waiting for the real game. That is not what happened... Last Defense and Reisburg were played hundreds of times, and there was a great clamoring for another scenario. So, BFC, like good little crack dealers, provided yet another fee sample... Chance Encounter. Again this scenario was played hundreds of times and the good folks were truly and completely hooked.

Now, as this was going on, there was much discussion on the forum about the game in general and the scenarios that had been provided. After several months, much of what had been discussed had been discussed to death. Onto this scene came a group of players that were regularly playing each other. There was the near mythical MrPeng and his none to bright sidekick Elvis. There was that shifty eyed lizard from down under, Goanna, and, of course, my own good self. There were others, but the fog of time has clouded my memory. Now this gang of, some would say scoundrels, players were known to 'have at' one another quite publically. We would, indeed, insult, badger and generally question each other's ancestory on a regular basis. Of these fellows, MrPeng was, somwhat, a legend. He possessed a wit that was as sharp as a razor poised over the vein in anticipation of the final cut. He did not limit himself to verbally berating just our small group... he would attack any that captured his fancy ( refer o this page for example ).

Onto this stage a new player steps, one Steve Pemble (better known as Seanachai). Now Seanachai was a bright eyed lad that had, quite by accident, stumbled upon CM and BFC's forum. He was a quiet lad that was nervous of posting among all these groggly fellows he found here. While reading the forum, he found two things that would change his life forever.

The first was a post by the estemed MrPeng.

Seanachai's initial reaction was, "What a flamin' a$$H***!"

He then noticed that no one seemed to mind MrPeng and that some even took an odd pride and being Penged.

The second thing he found was a thread started by your humble narrator, in which I challenged the board as a whole to play each of the scenario when the game shipped (the details of which I will leave to you to research).

Now, our bright eyed hero decided that he wanted to play a game against MrPeng and, through my own good example, did realize that he could make this challenge public. Plots did he lay to bring himself and MrPeng into deadly conflict. The event he had waited for finally presented itself. A thread had been started asking some pointless question about Canadians, and MrPeng, in his own good way, did voice his opinion. Our hero (Seanachai, in case you had forgotten) lept forward to defend the good name of Canada.

He did proclaim, "Peng, I take Our Challenge Public!"

Finding the concept that Canada had a good name to be defended to be rather silly, I joined it to slap our little upstart hero down. That thread went on for a monumental one hundred and twenty two pages, and was responsible for the great forum crash of October, 2000. During its life, it was dubbed The Cesspool, a name that has stuck with it to this very day. When it was reborn, a new expression was born with it.... Its a Mutha Beautiful Thread and it will always be here. Thus, it is also known as The Mutha Beautiful Thread or MBT.

I hope this clears up your question. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact Joe Shaw, Justicar of the Mutha Beautiful Thread.

[ July 31, 2003, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Berlichtingen ]

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

What is this Peng thread you keep reading about?

I shall endevor to enlighten you.

<lots of stuff snipped>

Man...that was beautiful!

I've got tears welling up in my eyes!

*sniff*

What's even more amazing...an ex-marine with the mental capacity to string words together!!!

Mace

Originally posted by Oasis:

Inform this n00b of this inside joke please.

It's a horrible place where about a half dozen half-witted old men from Minnesota have gone to await the deaths they all deserve so richly. Think of it as the internet equivalent of Floyd's barber shop from Mayberry, or a bench for whittlers in front of a small town's courthouse. Each of these raving loons uses a handful of different member accounts to call each other names and use up most of BFC's bandwidth.

In theory the thread was originally for challenging each other to games of Combat Mission, but that seems to have disappeared over time. The most likely explanation is the old geezers' hands have degenerated to the point where they can't use a mouse any longer, so they can't actually play Combat Mission.

The one thing that brings some small measure of cheer into their pathetic lives is smiley faces, so if you venture into the thread, use as many as you can. Oh, and SOD OFF is an acronym for their group, which is Secret Old Duffers - Over Fifty Five. They like to stick that in their posts like it means something else. tongue.gif;):D:(smile.gif :cool: :rolleyes: :mad:

Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Berli ... that was ... wonderful ... also informative and polite ... are you not feeling well, shall we order up some chicken soup?

Joe

Or a high colonic? </font>

Originally posted by NG cavscout:

You mean to tell me that, somewhere out there, there isn't a website with the collected Peng threads? In a world that has Cockroach racing websites, and internet Bukkake clubs, there is no Peng website?

Wait til next week. The boss is going on vacation.

Steve

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by NG cavscout:

Wait til next week. The boss is going on vacation.

Steve </font>