Rumblings Of War III: A Boots & Tracks CMBB Tourney

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Medium has nothing to do with point values, it reflects the number of units potentially on the map. This count includes fortifications so it can be a bit skewed.

A good example of why one should ignore points would 2 battles like the following:

Battle 1: 2.5km x 2.5km steppe map, 15 T34 85s attacking 5 Panthers. c. 3000 points on map, battle size is tiny (maybe small).

Battle 2: 800m x 800m urban map, 2 companies attacking 1 company. Medium sized, definitely a lot longer to play.

WWB

Attention Spanish Bombs and TABPUB!!!

As You both may remember we were in the same section in ROWI and You guys were equipped with excellent sense of humour. We were planning to take rematch some day, and I actually considered to drop emails to both of You about that not so long ago. So, what do You say? Should we ask Treeburst155 for heart-warming reunion of Wreck's Bitches? I certainly feel that I have a bone to pick with You two! :D

The gauntlet is thrown. Pick it up You stinkin' Yanks!

-Juha

*edited - still can't spell*

[ December 03, 2002, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: Juha Ahoniemi ]

You Finnish Fool! I take your gauntlet and fart it back at you! I am glad to blast you to "Heck and Gone" again. I rememeber in our game all the weird **** that was going on. I would have squashed your Canucks like a pimple, but for your luck and the fact that I had about 2 men to rub together there in the end...

PS. Chuck and I are from the Chicago Area, so if there are any more Chicagoans, we could have our own section (other than Juha) and play "Pile on the Finn". Although, god help us if he wins... :eek: We would never hear the end of this.

Sidebar: Hey, TB, why don't you group the sections by Geography ever? Would make playing TCP a hell of a lot easier, and PBEM would be smoother too. And, you would in essence have "mini-qualifiers" then based on location. Just an Ideer...

Here is the sign up list as of 0900 hrs, December 6th (GMT -6). I will try to update this list every 24 hours or so. I will be editing, not reposting the whole thing, so remember what page it is on.

The following tourney vets are signed up:

1) JAT (formerly Saport)

2) Michael Dorosh

3) Redwolf

4) Frunze

5) Cpl Carrot

6) Combined Arms

7) mPisi

8) Bimmer

9) a1steaks

10) Spanish Bombs

11) Thumpre

12)Tuomas

13) TABPUB

14) Mikeydz

15) Holien

16) Juha Ahoniemi

17) Pixelmaster

18) jjelinek

19) Tero

20) The_Capt

21) Ted

22) Bertram

23) Vader's Jester

24) Fate

25) Jon_L

26) Mick_Oz

27) John Kettler

28) Kanonier Reichmann

29) MrSpkr

30) TexasToast

31) U8led

32) Cpt_T

33) Kunstler

34) Enoch

35) Jeb

36) Scheer

37) Vadr

38) Heavy Drop

39) JPS

40) Sgt Gold

41) Gunnersman

42) WadePM

Below are the ROW newbies who have signed up. They are listed in the order in which they will be assigned any remaining slots on December 10th.

1) Nidan1

2) Frontovik

3) Red 6

4) Frenchy

5) Legend42

6) Cyrano

7) Jaws

8) Determinant

9) Sgt CDAT

10) Seahawk

11) Dave Turner

12) SpaceHamster

13) Sripe

14) Joakim Ruud

15) James Crowley

16) megramps

17) Slicer W

18) Nolloff

19) Steve Fielding

20) StoneAge

21) Joe Cz

22) Souljah1

23) SuperSlug

24) Ryddle

25) Major Victory

26) Flammenwerfer

27) Wellsonian

28) Zealotburner

29) Major Green

Presently, there are 30 slots remaining. ROW veterans in good standing have THRU this coming Monday to claim a slot. On Tuesday, the new guys will be put in.

We are almost at the point where the last of the ROW Newbies will not get in. Any who miss out will be put on a replacement list in the same order. Chances are at least fair that there will be a withdrawal or two before the tourney begins in early January. Chances are downright good that there will be some withdrawals within 30 days of the tourney start date.

Updated: December 6th, 0900 hrs

[ December 06, 2002, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

So far I see four member's of "Wreck's Bitches" are signed up from RoW I. As long as Wreck doesn't come back we might actually have a shot at winning the tourney this time around!

Looks like a pretty good group so far and should be as challenging as the first go around.

I like the grouping by geography idea. It would help players finish on time. It would require a little effort to find out where everybody lives, but it wouldn't be that difficult. We couldn't do it for every tournament because there would be little variety in the matchups from tourney to tourney; but, we could do it for this tourney.

Related to this is another thing I failed to mention earlier. In ROW II, the third tourney consisted mainly of ROW newbies. I did this to protect the tourney veterans from the drop-out problem as much as possible. This turned out to be a good idea because Tourney III DID have more drop-outs than the rest. Not a whole lot more, but more nonetheless.

With my new way of handling drop-outs, the tourney as a whole is not affected by the problem. However, inside a section plagued with drop-outs, player enjoyment of the tourney would be reduced. They might not get to finish all the scenarios, for one thing.

In light of the above, Tourney III will contain the ROW Newbies. I must protect my veterans! smile.gif Sections in ALL tourneys will be random except for the mutually agreed upon pairings. That is, unless I go with the geographic idea. Even if I do that, Tourney III will be the Newbie tourney.

ROW Newbies: The drop-out problem isn't THAT bad, even in Tourney III. smile.gif

Treeburst155 out.

[ December 03, 2002, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Hi TB,

You muse on the geographical loading of groups.

I would be against this if asked as I want to play people from all over the world, even if they are in a different time zone.

To me this game makes the world smaller and that is part of the reason I am an active participant on these threads and tourneys.

And I would not want to have just to play French and UK players. Yuk...

H

Redwolf,

LOL! Yeah, a good slapping delivered by the slacker's opponents. BTW, WHY don't you like the time zone idea?

Holien,

I doubt it would be possible to confine each section to only one or two time zones. Maybe in America and Western Europe it could be done. Even if you were confined to GMT alone, you could wind up with opponents in London, Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, Reykjavik, Casablanca, and more. IOW, your games would be against people in the UK, just as you said. :D Your point is well taken. I too like playing CM with people from all over the world.

Treeburst155 out.

Looking forward to another great time.

For the record, I would be against the geographical grouping idea, if for no other reason than it would have prevented me from meeting fine chaps like Juha, who I think is from Texas. Or Ohio, maybe, I forget. Anyway, count me in on a rematch regrouping from ROW I, Treeburst. Unless Wreck joins up, that is.

Yeah, a rematch of our little group from ROW I would be quite amusing. However, if Wreck shows up, I will disavow all knowledge of this statement, claim it was made fraudulently by someone else, and will be signing up under another user name in the hopes of being placed in a nice, quiet group of newbies...

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

BTW, WHY don't you like the time zone idea?

I just say it won't help against the big delays which hurt us. And if t doesn't help it is not worth introducing it as a restriction that may require other ocmpromises. Also, I cannot get into a group with KiwiJoe then :D

Originally posted by Spanish Bombs:

Looking forward to another great time.

For the record, I would be against the geographical grouping idea, if for no other reason than it would have prevented me from meeting fine chaps like Juha, who I think is from Texas. Or Ohio, maybe, I forget. Anyway, count me in on a rematch regrouping from ROW I, Treeburst. Unless Wreck joins up, that is.

I'd be happy to join the Wreck's rematch group--with the same caveat as SB. I understand that Wreck may have dropped the game, BTW. Can anyone confirm or deny that rumor?