Rumblings Of War III: A Boots & Tracks CMBB Tourney

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey TB, guess it helps if I READTF post huh? :D

Wincape,

Even though I was in the lower percentile of the upper half last time (thus could not win the prize), I want to say thanks for putting up those excellent prizes for all of the winners to enjoy both then and now. :cool:

Contests are much more exciting when something is at stake. smile.gif

[ December 01, 2002, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

Originally posted by The_Capt:

Sob!!

Please no!

Don't make me!!

I can't

EEEP!

Sigh...e-mail sent.

I was going to say, given the current level of discussion at the Bears vs Tigers board, you ought to have plenty of time....but then I realized you GD boys have been chatting it up there every day, according to the last post entry in your forum....

LOL!!

Kanonier, if I put you in with Holien he might gripe. smile.gif If he agrees, I'll do it.

Mr Spkr, assignments will be random, I promise you, except for special requests if both parties agree. No grouping by CMBO skill for this tourney. I don't think CMBO skills transfer over to CMBB in any significant way.

Treeburst155 out.

The following tourney vets are signed up:

1) JAT (formerly Saport)

2) Michael Dorosh

3) Redwolf

4) Frunze

5) Cpl Carrot

6) Combined Arms

7) mPisi

8) Bimmer

9) a1steaks

10) Spanish Bombs

11) Thumpre

12)Tuomas

13) TABPUB

14) Mikeydz

15) Holien

16) Juha Ahoniemi

17) Pixelmaster

18) jjelinek

19) Tero

20) The_Capt

21) Ted

22) Bertram

23) Vader's Jester

24) Fate

25) Jon_L

26) Mick_Oz

27) John Kettler

28) Kanonier Reichmann

29) MrSpkr

Below are the ROW newbies who have signed up. They are listed in the order in which they will be assigned any remaining slots on December 10th.

1) Nidan1

2) Frontovik

3) Red 6

4) Frenchy

5) Legend42

6) Cyrano

7) Jaws

8) Determinant

9) Sgt CDAT

10) Seahawk

11) Dave Turner

12) SpaceHamster

13) Sripe

14) Joakim Ruud

15) James Crowley

16) megramps

17) Slicer W

Presently, there are 43 slots remaining. ROW veterans in good standing have THRU next Monday to claim a slot. On Tuesday, the new guys will be put in.

DROPOUTS, WITHDRAWALS, MIAs, etc.

Incomplete games are the one thing the Nabla Scoring System does not tolerate well. However, considering the new improvements to the scoring system (Standard Deviation), and the sheer size of the tourney, this problem is alleviated some with regard to the tourney as a whole. Below is how MIAs and withdrawals will be handled:

For the first 30 days of the tournament, replacements will be recruited who will take over the games in progress, just as we've done in the past.

After 30 days, no replacements. This will result in unfinished games at the end. These games will be scored by me, based on correspondence with the players involved, and possibly game files. If you have an incomplete game at the tourney deadline for ANY reason, you can count on one of three outcomes:

1) You win at the level of the standard deviation from the median

2) You are assigned the median score

3) You lose at the level of the standard deviation from the median

If your opponent withdraws from the tourney, or is determined to be the cause of the game not getting finished on time, you get #1 above for that game.

If I cannot determine who caused a game to go unfinished (both players?), the game will be scored at the median (#2).

If you withdraw, or have caused a game to go unfinished (slow turnaround) you will get #3 above.

If #2 or #3 is applied to even ONE of your games for ANY reason, you are ineligible to win your section! If you're getting a slow turn rate from an opponent, you need to keep me informed (weekly notes on progress). This way, if the game goes unfinished, I have a history to go by which will likely keep me from assigning the #2 outcome above in questionable situations. I will also email you at the end requesting "your side of the story".

The 100 day deadline for game completion will be strictly enforced!! This is because the tourney is big enough that I can get accurate medians even if 1/3 of the games go incomplete. :D

Do your section a favor. Finish your games. If you are losing badly, keep in mind that your opponent is winning and probably enjoying himself immensely. Let him have his fun, and do your best anyway. Dropping out of sight when you are losing is desertion under fire! :D

Treeburst155 out.

[ December 02, 2002, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Just a quick update,

1 scenario completed and ready to go

3 more already designed and in the testing phase

We are looking good for the January start.

Soon we will begin working on the ROW section of our website. Each ROW will have it's own page, complete with screenshots and AARs. In addition, there will be an intro page which will feature Treeburst's tourney rules and an explanation of the Nabla system and how it works (as only our "never made a mistake in his tourney running life" tourney manager can explain) tongue.gif

TB,

Fine with KR, he is a worthy opponent and I need to revenge our cricket team.

As for the Kiwi well they think they know how to sail boats. Hah!!

All I need now is a Frenchman, Yank and a Canadian.

I would ask for a German but he does not do these sorts of things, I just hope he can be persuaded to do the joker in the pack aka the unbalanced game as he is good at that.

tongue.gif

If I am lucky we will get JK in our group and he will keep us grinning with his updates on his clapped out Mac and entertaining quips.

Perhaps Santa will bring a decent computer like a PC to his house. I wonder if he has been good enough?

;)

H

Originally posted by Holien:

Hey Jester you are from the same neck of the woods as King Fisher, as he is chickening out again I guess you will do...

He He He....

:D

Here fishy fishy fishy...

BTW I am pants in CMBB so I will be done over like a Kipper.. (Honest....)

H

You've just guaranteed yourself a game against John Kettler and a Brigade of Katayushas ;)

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Soon we will begin working on the ROW section of our website. Each ROW will have it's own page, complete with screenshots and AARs. In addition, there will be an intro page which will feature Treeburst's tourney rules and an explanation of the Nabla system and how it works (as only our "never made a mistake in his tourney running life" tourney manager can explain) tongue.gif

Hi Kingfish!

The tourney manual has been updated for ROW III and will be posted to the beginning of each tourney thread, beginning with the next one. I'll start a new thread as soon as the signup process is complete. It is ready for the B&T site when you are.

Nabla is currently working on an excellent manual for his scoring system (in pdf format). He is about 80% done right now. It contains everything players and tourney managers could ever want to know about the system, including the math.

Holien,

OK then, Cpl Carrot and Kanonier Reichmann will be in your section.

Ted,

You will be placed with Thumpre.

Treeburst155 out.

[ December 02, 2002, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Originally posted by Ted:

TB,

About how many points is a "medium" size game?

Well, a more or less medium amount of points are in a medium sized game. :D

I've not seen the scenarios (they aren't finished yet), but the issue of scenario size (units) and length (turns) has been discussed with B&T leader, Scott Boston. We agreed it is best to keep the size of scenarios in the medium range. That's all I can tell you on that. I'd guess 1,200 points for the defense at most, but that's only a guess. Maybe Kingfish can give you more information without blowing FOW.

Treeburst155 out.