The year to come - 2024 (Part 1)

48 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

Pershings!!!

Edit: I'm excited about everything else as well. I'm really looking forward to the BAOR module, and to fighting through Utah beach and Carentan. But we were just talking in the 2023 thread (a couple months ago) about whether or not Pershings would be included in the CMFB module. So I'm excited to see that they have been.

Yes, my M-26 Pershing will take on the Panther in Cologne Cathedral. Then the King Tiger from the sides. Oh, Super Pershing's perhaps. I might be pushing my luck a bit. 

Probably a long shot but worth asking: Is one of the goals of the engine 5 upgrade to attempt to solve the current issues faced with many AMD GPU users such as visual glitches and crashes due to VRAM issues? 

26 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

My CMFB module pre-order

@BFCElvis

I received an Activation Code, so I assume it's ready to unlock?  If so, I'm in the middle of a PBEM in FB.  Will it be an issue if my opponent hasn't bought Downfall?

EDIT:  Order Status is showing as pending, so I guess I should wait anyway...

Edited by Vacillator

@BFCElvis a little error typo in FB Downfall TO&E list:

"Volkstrum"

I hope that in the last FB module which will come after, there will be the French from the Colmar pocket 🙏 My grandfather was in Leclerc's 2nd Armored Div (2e DB).

Edited by laurent 22

13 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

@BFCElvis

I received an Activation Code, so I assume it's ready to unlock?  If so, I'm in the middle of PBEM in FB.  Will it be an issue if my opponent hasn't bought Downfall?

There will be a patch, which isn't issued yet, then it will work. The content isn't in the current FB install. 

I think there may have been this language confusion with a previous release. The language seems to be written assuming the patch had already been issued.

Dave

Some answers for you!

9 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Just FYI, Volkssturm is spelled Volksstrum on the TO&E page.

Noted!  And on the front page as well.  Well, points for consistency?

6 hours ago, markus544 said:

I checked my version of CMFB and it indicates engine 4 2.03. Then I read that, if I understand it correctly, the I need to have version 2.10. Or is that the new version. I must say I am somewhat confused.

When it is released you'll be running v2.10.

4 hours ago, snarre said:

can we expect any improves to editor ? example more AI plans or more AI groups , be side whit engine 5. 

Sorry, no.  Engine 5, as originally announced and as it is still planned, is performance updates only.  No new features.

4 hours ago, Jarosak said:

Still hoping for patches for shock force2 and black sea . Just fix few well know bugs please  . Good luck Battlefront God bless you 🙂

I would also like to see some patches for both of these.  There's a couple of small, yet still significant, fixes that didn't get into the last set.  However, I don't have a timeframe for doing these.  Now that Downfall is out of our hair we can at least put it on the development schedule ;)

4 hours ago, Gkenny said:

I couldn't see any images of British vehicles with infantry riding on them externally, will that be possible in the module (like you can with US and German tanks)?

Yes, you can put tank riders on the British vehicles.  Apparently we didn't think to do a screenshot with them riding!

4 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

This is good news.  Noted that the M-26 is in.  Are there plans to bring all of the CMBN vehicle pack units into CMFB?  I'm mainly thinking of the Sherman Crab.  It was very useful in mine-infested scenarios.

I gotta be honest this idea hasn't popped up as far as I know.  We'll give it a good thinking over, but I can say for sure they won't be in the initial release as it's too late to add anything at this point.

Steve

3 hours ago, laurent 22 said:

"all existing CM2 products will be available through Matrix (Slitherine) and Steam."

CM Afghanistan too ?

Unlikely, due to its actual ownership being in limbo probably for all time.   It's an easy one to overlook when thinking of CM2 games.

5 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

This is good news.  Noted that the M-26 is in.  Are there plans to bring all of the CMBN vehicle pack units into CMFB?  I'm mainly thinking of the Sherman Crab.  It was very useful in mine-infested scenarios.

Nevermind...saw that the crab is in CMFB already.

in the TO&E it does mention the Sherman Crab,Churchill AVRE, and Churchill Crocodile

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

I think there may have been this language confusion with a previous release.

Thanks for the clarification Dave.  I think the potential confusion is that you receive an Activation Code even though the release is still pending.

And now that I wind up my brain, I recall that when F&R went to pre-order I also got an Activation Code, which I promptly used.  It didn't work properly of course, and John had to help me and a few other over-eager customers to row back to the original install.

Hi Vacillator  I bought  CMFB + Downfall Bundle  today and i also reiceved activation code but transcaction still pending . Do i have to wait for Downfall dlc to be released to be able  download the base game? Maybe it is just taking more time than usually but you never know haha 

Edited by Jarosak

Absolutely great news, although I would have liked a bone for the Black Sea module. There were rumours about re-discussing the embargo. After all, the IRL mess could take all from 6 more months to 6 more years. But we got what we've got.

One serious notion though: the Downfall DLC page mentions very little about what the campaigns are actually about. But since the Canadians made it in, can one assume that the Scheldt campaign is included? Or is the DLC strictly 1945 only? Either way: congratulations to all contributors that this DLC sees the light of day!

11 minutes ago, Sunbather said:

Absolutely great news, although I would have liked a bone for the Black Sea module. There were rumours about re-discussing the embargo. After all, the IRL mess could take all from 6 more months to 6 more years. But we got what we've got.

One serious notion though: the Downfall DLC page mentions very little about what the campaigns are actually about. But since the Canadians made it in, can one assume that the Scheldt campaign is included? Or is the DLC strictly 1945 only? Either way: congratulations to all contributors that this DLC sees the light of day!

You should see CW Scenarios/Campaigns from Oct 44'-April 45' (maybe May).

Edited by JoMac

7 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Nevermind...saw that the crab is in CMFB already.

I edited it less than a minute after posting.  Looked a little deeper and most of the "standard" VP made it into DF.  Its just the weird French-based stuff that probably never made the retreat that isn't in.

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Unlikely, due to its actual ownership being in limbo probably for all time.   It's an easy one to overlook when thinking of CM2 games.

Yeah, sorry about that.  CM:A is a dead end and so I don't think about it.  I can say that I've tried several times to get permission to bring CM:A into the current CM2 engine, but the company that owns the rights went out of business and my contact (who worked for them) hasn't been able to figure out who we need to talk to.

37 minutes ago, Jarosak said:

Hi Vacillator  I bought  CMFB + Downfall Bundle  today and i also reiceved activation code but transcaction still pending . Do i have to wait for Downfall dlc to be released to be able  download the base game? Maybe it is just taking more time than usually but you never know haha 

Yes, the Base Game should work with this code even without the Downfall Module present.  It should even pre-authorize it so that when you do download the Module it will work right away without additional registration.  Er... I think so?  Man, it's been a long time since I tested that :)

14 minutes ago, Sunbather said:

I did bring this up in the CMBS forum at some point, but I haven't made a large formal announcement yet.  I'll edit my initial post in this thread to give the bad news... it's scrapped.  It's just not something we feel comfortable doing and Slitherine is 100% of the same mind.

6 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

I edited it less than a minute after posting.  Looked a little deeper and most of the "standard" VP made it into DF.  Its just the weird French-based stuff that probably never made the retreat that isn't in.

Yes, it's doubtful much of any of the German "Funnies" made it out of Normandy.  In addition to the stuff added in Downfall, there's a few things that were added even in CMFB.  So I guess this is why we didn't think about the Vehicle Pack :)

Steve

3 hours ago, Millien said:

Probably a long shot but worth asking: Is one of the goals of the engine 5 upgrade to attempt to solve the current issues faced with many AMD GPU users such as visual glitches and crashes due to VRAM issues? 

Sorry, missed this one!!  For sure it is on our list of things to try and fix. Hopefully it will be automatically fixed after certain core routines are rewritten.  However, that is unclear at the moment.

Steve

31 minutes ago, Sunbather said:

I think the only bone to be had is that the module is done, just waiting for the war to end. My guess is that the war will not end in the coming year. But also that it won't still be going on next decade. I think the war will end up lasting between 3 and 6 years in total (fair chance of ending in 2025, a higher chance of ending in 2026, and an even higher chance of ending in 2027), in the ballpark of the world wars in terms of duration. A long enough timeframe that it is probably worth reopening the possibility of releasing the CMBS module before it is over. My understanding is that the decision was made to hold back the module because it was felt that many people would feel strongly against releasing content that relates to an ongoing war, so it might be worth trying to get a feel for how many such people there actually are.

Please note that I recognize that this is not the place to discuss the war itself (there is another thread for that), so I have tried to limit the scope of my comment (and I hope others will limit the scope of their replies) to how it relates to the CMBS module.

Edit:

9 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

I did bring this up in the CMBS forum at some point, but I haven't made a large formal announcement yet.  I'll edit my initial post in this thread to give the bad news... it's scrapped.  It's just not something we feel comfortable doing and Slitherine is 100% of the same mind.

Ah, well nevermind then...

Edited by Centurian52

So Downfall is actually much more complete than I expected.  A rather quick look shows that compared to CMBN, the only non-infantry units missing in the end will be:

• Early Pz IVs, early Panthers, early tiger, and Pz IIIG for German tanks
  • AT bunkers from VP
  • French/German funnies
  • Early M8
  • Early US baseline M4s

Even the early tanks marks still have more later versions.  From a non-infantry standpoint, you could recreate pretty much any CMBN scenario if you could port maps over.

56 minutes ago, Jarosak said:

As Steve said above, I think so but haven't tried that as I already had CMFB. 

Did you get it to install the base game yet?  If not, it may be that your code only applies to the full bundle.  It'll be worth the wait 😉.