The year to come - 2024 (Part 1)

22 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

I did bring this up in the CMBS forum at some point, but I haven't made a large formal announcement yet.  I'll edit my initial post in this thread to give the bad news... it's scrapped.  It's just not something we feel comfortable doing and Slitherine is 100% of the same mind.

Will there be another CM game made which will allow people to play with modern TOEs?

WW2 is all well-and-good, but it is nice to play with equipment that was invented less than a century ago.

Edited by Grey_Fox

3 hours ago, Anthony P. said:

Also in the TO&E page: Machinegun Battaltion and Parashoot Company (Independent).

The second one isn't a typo. They're just a unit that specialized in anti-airborne operations.

But in all seriousness, I just checked and both typos are still there.

Edited by Centurian52

17 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

Will there be another CM game made which will allow people to play with modern TOEs?

WW2 is all well-and-good, but it is nice to play with equipment that was invented less than a century ago.

We like the modern and near future stuff too, which is a good sign for you :)

The WW2 stuff for us is a lot of fun, and we'll never NOT make WW2 games, but there is something special about working on things that aren't beaten to death by dozens of wargames throughout the ages. 

Steve

3 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

The second one isn't a typo. They're just a unit that specialized in anti-airborne operations.

But in all seriousness, I just checked and both typos are still there.

Yup!  I passed them along to Elvis to fix.  He'll nip them soon enough.  Though honestly, I think the Parachute one is cute enough to leave in there :)

Steve

Hope that we could look at a more unique option for the next CM title then, some other cold war conflict might be interesting. The Philippines WW2? The pacific feels like the most deserving of something.

or just do CMA 2 :)

Edited by Rice

Just now, Rice said:

Hope that we could look at a more unique option for the next CM title then, some other cold war conflict might be interesting. The Philippines WW2? The pacific feels like the most deserving of something.

or just do CMA 2 :)

Funny you should mention them doing some other Cold War conflict. It just so happens that I expressed a similar thought over in the 2023 thread as part of the whole "will they/won't they include the Pershing?"

And of course, while the CMFB module will bring all the fronts up to the end of the war, that's no reason the clock can't keep incrementally inching forward. One reason why it might be a good idea to include the Pershing in the CMFB module (keeping in mind the more features and units we demand the longer we should expect to wait), even though it barely saw any action, is that it might help pave the way for a base game set in Korea later down the line.

The thread is locked now, which seems to have eliminated the normal Quote feature, but it's towards the top of page 30.

Now that we have so much late WW2 equipment, It doesn't seem so impossible that a CM Korean war title could be announced. Definitely has not been beaten to death and with the amount of nations that participated it could have quite the variety!

9 minutes ago, Bearstronaut said:

How about far future? I wanna play Combat Mission: BattleTech.

I doubt they'll ever do anything with equipment that doesn't already exist at the time of development, or at least isn't near enough over the horizon to have a good idea of its characteristics. That being said, that doesn't mean they won't eventually deliver some far-future content (from our current perspective). All we need is for them to still be around in the far future. They've managed to stick around for 25 years already, so what's another hundred? I'm sure the 2124 new year's bones thread will announce some exciting content!

Is there any chance we can get a hold of the maps created for the CMBS module? I'm sure they were fabulous, and they can be used for all titles with converting.

Also I would REALLY like to see a modern title between China/NK and USA/Japan/SK

Edited by Artkin

3 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Also I would REALLY like to see a modern title between China/NK and USA/Japan/SK

Seconded. Making a new near-future base game might be risky with Battlefront's track record so far (I kid, if more conflicts are going to break out, they will break out whether or not Battlefront makes a game about them first). But with further development of CMBS apparently dead, and the modern era still being an area of interest, now might be a good time to look at the possibility of a new modern era base game. Recent lessons about modern warfare could be taken into account (higher density of drones). And I'm very eager to take a US force equipped with M7 rifles (I'm assuming the 'X' will be dropped from the name when it's no longer experimental), M250 machine guns, and M10 Booker light tanks out for a spin.

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

I did bring this up in the CMBS forum at some point, but I haven't made a large formal announcement yet.  I'll edit my initial post in this thread to give the bad news... it's scrapped.  It's just not something we feel comfortable doing and Slitherine is 100% of the same mind.

Thank god there wasnt any wars going on in syria at the time of SF2s release!

I've been waiting for more CMFB.

My last attempt at the Final blitzkrieg didn't go so well for my poor little troops.  Oh well -- back in your little tanks and trucks, boys.  Blame Battlefront.  Maybe it'll go better for us this time (it won't).

3 minutes ago, SergeantSqook said:

Did none of the Allied amphibious vehicles (DUKW, LVT etc) make it in? Could have sworn we got renders but I don't see them in the TOE page.

Lots of them were used in the Rhineland during the Rhine crossings . Would be a big failure if they were omitted.

23386512-7885951-image-a-37_157901231114

https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/wars-conflicts-and-operations/world-war-ii/1945/operation-plunder.html

3 minutes ago, Scorpii said:

Are any of the models or equipment that were done for the BS module going to eventually find their way over to Cold War such as the BMDs?

There are already BMDs in CMA. So in theory 1980s VDV should already be ready to go. I don't know if there are any licensing issues around that though, since the partner company behind CMA is defunct.

4 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Thanks for answering me so clearly on this one! However, this is devastating news. CMBS is my favourite CM game but it always lacked a bit variety. I can understand your decision but this makes me incredibly sad.

As for Slitherine/Matrix, they are soon releasing Broken Arrow. A game that features the realistic destruction of entire building blocks via rocket strikes, painstaking detail when it comes to authenticity of units and overall a very smiliar landscape to Eastern European countries. I don't really see them squirming there. Maybe because that game could be their first mainstream hit?

And personally, I've never understood why contemporary conflicts are taboo while it is completely fine to have SS Todeskopf troops in your fun wargame or bomb the Vietcong without any notion of all the civilian casualties. I probably know all the arguments why this war is okay to depict but not that one. And I can even comprehend most of them. But Wargames are not some casual fun games. They are - more often than not - simulators and show us the workings of modern equipment and tactics. And, at least for me, they even have an anti-war element to them, much more than most of so called anti-war movies. And in that regard, they transcend the regular piety rules that apply for entertainment media.

Anyways. It is great to hear that there is enthusiasm for other modern settings from your side. I do know that it's not gonna be a game featuring the IDF though.

Thanks for the update! 

I may be in the minority here but I'm not too sad about the scrapped Black Sea module. I just don't think the current engine does modern warfare very well. If this helps the team focus on WW2 and Cold War then I'm happy.

The new Final Blitzkrieg module is an auto buy for me.

6 minutes ago, Simcoe said:

Thanks for the update! 

I may be in the minority here but I'm not too sad about the scrapped Black Sea module. I just don't think the current engine does modern warfare very well. If this helps the team focus on WW2 and Cold War then I'm happy.

The new Final Blitzkrieg module is an auto buy for me.

It's not like the first two titles were modern or anything.