Problem with new CMBN 4.04 patch

Shady_Side

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

there is definitely a problem with the 4.04 game exe on some people's windows machines.  I spent a couple of hours troubleshooting a friend's new CMBN  big bundle purchase yesterday - it won't run at all, no splash screen, nothing.  Yet his CMRT and CMFB installs run fine.  Today I'm going to substitute the older 4.03 exe into his install and see if it runs - bet it does.  Will update later on.

edit: I wonder if some c++ or .net dependency libraries are missing from the install or host machine as well..?

Also, Elvis:  This is not a simple activation error as you advised my friend via helpdesk.  The game has been successfully activated and will still not work.

@BFCElvis

Edited by PIATpunk

There are no C++ or .Net dependencies with the CM games to my knowledge.

What security software is your friend using ? They may want to set an 'exception'/'white list' for the game executables. However I would assume that if he was able to successfully activate the game and now it won't run, then it might not be security software that is blocking its execution. If he does have security software installed, he may want to uninstall CMBN (he shouldn't have to reactivate it), add an exception within his security software for both the installer and the game executables (after they've been installed) and also TEMPORARILY DISABLE his security software during the installation. In the past I have seen a number of security programs try to quarantine the Commonwealth module executable when it was installed (though other CM games were NOT affected). Even the built-in Windows Defender can have some strange interactions with CM.

With Windows Defender there is another thing to check for... In this thread (that is originally about an AMD driver problem) nathangun's posts show an issue with 'Controlled Folder Access' (Start Menu > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security >...) that affected saved game files and scenarios getting installed. This potentially might affect the installation of CMBN. Disable it and run the installation again and see if that somehow makes a difference.

I'm not specifically aware of any issues in running the games that could be unique to CMBN (beyond the possible issue with the 4.04 version of CMBN).

Thanks Schrull.

Vanilla Windows Defender on Win10 22H2.  I had already added a process exception to CM Normandy.exe.  Note, there is no additional game exectuable these days, just CM Normandy.exe, which is present after installation.  I checked with file explorer after install and all the game brz's, scenario files etc are present.

There are no C++ or .Net dependencies with the CM games to my knowledge.

Certainly true prior to the new slitherine pbem++ code.  Now it seems that code is included in the main executable for the BFC version of 4.04 but I remember seeing some extra files, possibly dll's in the steam version of Normandy. Anyway I will see if 4.03 works...  cheers

Edited by PIATpunk

Same here PIATpunk

Brand new clean install of Windows 10 Home 22H2 (no other applications on computer CM first install)

Vanilla Windows Defender on Win10 22H2.  I had already have added a process exception to CM Normandy.exe.

Both CMBN and Shockforce 2 activated 

They won't run at all, no splash screen, nothing

This is the third or fourth time I have rebuilt this computer always deleting all file and zeroing drive.   On one attempt installed game via steam with the same result game. Files and folders match my older computer running 4.03.  Steam launcher comes up but when you click play.  They won't run at all, no splash screen, nothing  

Problem solved on my Computer!

What did I do? I installed game drivers: Microsoft XNA Framework redistributable 4.0

OpenAL (Open Audio Library)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015- 2022 Redistributable (x86)

All Slitherine-infected games are running smoothly, including Cold War

On 4/23/2023 at 11:19 AM, wolfgang500 said:

Problem solved on my Computer!

What did I do? I installed game drivers: Microsoft XNA Framework redistributable 4.0

OpenAL (Open Audio Library)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015- 2022 Redistributable (x86)

All Slitherine-infected games are running smoothly, including Cold War

This is all fantastic news!!!!!!!

• BFCElvis pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine starts and runs fine on Windows, but the unit info boxes are all gooned up.  Sherman tank unit info says SturmTiger.   It uses the modern HMMWV term for one of the crew.   It mixes US and German and British info.  All US units in my small battle show the same nonsensical unit into.  What the heck 

52 minutes ago, Jobu88 said:

Mine starts and runs fine on Windows, but the unit info boxes are all gooned up.  Sherman tank unit info says SturmTiger.   It uses the modern HMMWV term for one of the crew.   It mixes US and German and British info.  All US units in my small battle show the same nonsensical unit into.  What the heck 

That is usually a missing file (or files) in the Data folder. Open a ticket on the Help Desk with a screenshot of the contents of your Data folder and we'll send you the missing file.

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I'll be bound if I can get Normandy to work.

Is it something to do with the oddness of CMBN installing in a different place to all the others?

Did you use the full installers, and accept the default locations?  I used them recently but told them where to install - however, the result was that my Battlefront folder has a Combat Mission sub-folder with every WW2 except CMBN, while CMBN has it's own sub-folder. 

It's just a thought.  If that doesn't help I think you will need the one who helped me - @BFCElvis.