Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

9 minutes ago, c3k said:

Vlad said that the Russian infantry is cowards. That the tanks LEAD the attacks and the infantry FOLLOWS. That as soon as the vehicles pass, the Ukrainians then attack the Russian infantry, who retreat.  (Standing in front of a destroyed tank, the assumption is that after the Russian infantry is dead or has gone, the tanks are rife for ambush.)

The same can say about UKR infantry. But this is not sign of cowardice. The armor, especially in attack gives a confidence to infantry. The losses of armor reduce confidence, thus reduce motivation, especailly if this conscript/green troops with motivation low than avarage and their commander w/o any strong abilities ) 

In the warfare of 2014-2015 both sides often stopped own attacks after the loss of several armored vehciles. 

1 minute ago, Haiduk said:

The same can say about UKR infantry. But this is not sign of cowardice. The armor, especially in attack gives a confidence to infantry. The losses of armor reduce confidence, thus reduce motivation, especailly if this conscript/green troops with motivation low than avarage and their commander w/o any strong abilities ) 

In the warfare of 2014-2015 both sides often stopped own attacks after the loss of several armored vehciles. 

There's a difference, I think, between "Stopping because you no longer have the assets available to succeed," and "Hiding behind your armour, rather than supporting it."

From that censor-net interview with Yevhen Mezhevikin:

"anti-tank weapons operating at different distances Джерело: https://censor.net/ua/r3329797"

This, I assume, is when ATGMs are at the most, maximised dangerous - not as long ranged snipers but as a layered defense at different ranges, where there is a constant hammering from v. small teams that are highly mobile and easily concealed. There's no distance at which you're safe. If you're road bound then you're dead. 

So of all the ****ty decisions Putin made, right behind actually ordering the invasion is when he ordered it - just as a thaw was happening, dooming his army to roads and hence to ranged, concealed destruction.

And considering rasputitsa is far from done the idea of a successful Russian mechanized attack (that isn't still fundamentally road bound and so still vulnerable for the exact same reasons, without any institutional ideas or gear to overcome the mud) is hard to imagine.

@Ultradave

I, think this will be interesting for you as for specailist.

This is video of pre-war trip in Chernobyl zone. The car on full speed drives not far from Red forest. And here what show the device, which has 10 seconds delay - in the air in closed car. I don't know what this units, probably mSv/hour, - it showed 18.67 in maximum. Author of tweet claimed inside the forest there is 40 as minimum.

And this shows other device in other car in that place - 2, 34 mR/hour 

Зображення

Edited by Haiduk

9 minutes ago, akd said:

Another utterly wrecked Russian position:

This is place of strike 19th-20th of March, when many Grad launchers were destroyed, but turmed out except them, there are many other vehicles was wiped out.

Some mistake in translation screen: "job of Pion's and Zanova's (launchers)". Zanoza (rus. splinter) is not a launcher, but probably volunteer UAV recon unit. 

Edited by Haiduk

Well, Haiduk, I see your Ukrainian army has fallen into genius Mr Putin's brilliant trap of destroying more of his army while he cleverly takes everything he actually wanted!  How long will the Ukrainians continue play right into Putin's hands by destroying his entire northen army??   And all this despite being warned by the genius NYTimes columnist Bret Stephens!

Edited by danfrodo

6 hours ago, Haiduk said:

Ukrainain TD and Emergency service recovered Russian T-72B3, which fell from the tiny bridge to the river in first days of war. Crew is dead. One tanker could bail out, but was crushed by turret, when tank rolled over

277525774_284813993831686_1356725119977873582_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=i0V1rJZ3sfgAX939lEm&_nc_ht=scontent.fiev13-1.fna&oh=00_AT8GCdtvX7qL2Vt8DAMDs_Tun-uqoXcWaGfaf0FU-RBhCw&oe=624B069E

May be an image of 3 people and outdoors

May be an image of outdoors

Is this reusable? Or just scrap? The internal wiring must be shot to poop after being submerged for so long.

Edited by Kinophile

2 hours ago, Haiduk said:

@Ultradave

I, think this will be interesting for you as for specailist.

This is video of pre-war trip in Chernobyl zone. The car on full speed drives not far from Red forest. And here what show the device, which has 10 seconds delay - in the air in closed car. I don't know what this units, probably mSv/hour, - it showed 18.67 in maximum. Author of tweet claimed inside the forest there is 40 as minimum.

And this shows other device in other car in that place - 2, 34 mR/hour 

Зображення

I’m more used to mr/hr rather than SI units so to compare a yearly background dose is about 200-350 mr/year depending on where you live. 

2 mr/he if you are just driving and not breathing and spending a day or so is not that bad a dose. 

But the Russian soldiers were out in the open, digging and sitting in trenches so I expect their dose rate was significantly higher. Had to be for them to have acute symptoms. But those numbers give an idea of some area levels if someone is not being foolish and careless. Thanks for posting. 

Dave