How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

This is probably a stupid question but here goes:

Why aren't either side using vast amounts of smoke ammunition to fool these less expensive drones during operations?  I've not seen (hardly) any action where smoke rounds/dischargers were used.  They could even make a smoke round that hangs in the air just above the troops to bork drones.

On 12/27/2023 at 6:04 AM, Haiduk said:

And I recall cadres of Christmas party for Russian POWs three days ago. Maybe we must stop to wear a mask of "humanism and civilization" when we have a deal with beasts? They just lost a right to call themselves human beings and deserve of any conventions.

Because a streak of mass surrenders is still the best and easiest way for Ukraine to win this war. Every Russian soldier every day needs to think that "I can die of frostbite slowly, unless a drone gets me first, or I can be warm , dry, fed, and comfortable in a Ukrainian POW camp". It really is that simple, and I am the guy that fully agrees that that the lights need to go out in Moscow, among other things. I am not making a moral argument, pure military utility.

They need to put out MORE videos of POWs eating well.

Edited by dan/california

just because it makes me feel good.  As the thread says, RU stuff blowing up.  Also looks like the murderers of surrendering UKR soldiers lived about 30 minutes after their cowardly, despicable deed.  Plus some good footage I think mostly not seen here yet.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/12/28/2214204/-More-Russian-stuff-blowing-up-Another-Russian-politician-falls-out-of-a-window?pm_campaign=front_page&pm_source=trending&pm_medium=web

2 hours ago, dan/california said:

At what point does Putin run into this problem in a major way?

heh getting tough to be a Russian.

An 'almost naked' party of Russian elites brings on jail time, a lawsuit and apologies (yahoo.com)

The nightlife of Russia’s elite has long been famously rakish but a recent party crossed an invisible line and provoked a public scandal. One pop star ended up in jail and several others issued public apologies while an ensuing lawsuit demanded a fortune in reparations.

The scandal erupted after TV presenter and actress Anastasia Ivleeva hosted a bash at a Moscow nightclub with the stated dress code of “almost naked.”

Soon after, photos from the party began circulating on social media — including those of rapper Vacio seen wearing only a sock on his genitalia. Conservative legislators, bloggers and others unleashed a storm of criticism, contending the images were unseemly, even unpatriotic, for a country embroiled in war.

Some of the criticism reflected the fiercely conservative sentiment in Russia amid President Vladimir Putin's repeated denunciation of the West for trying to undermine “traditional values” and the nationalism intensified by Russia's war in Ukraine.

"Such hangouts are a shot in the foot of the entire policy pursued by the state,” Yekaterina Mizulina, leader of a Kremlin-aligned group advocating greater internet restrictions, wrote on the messaging app Telegram.

Maria Butina, a parliament member once imprisoned in the United States for acting as an unregistered Russian agent, urged police to investigate whether the party violated Russia's laws forbidding the spreading of LGBTQ+ “propaganda.”

Russia's supreme court in November ruled that the LGBTQ+ “movement” constituted extremism.

Two days after the party, Vacio, whose legal name is Nikolai Vasilyev, was jailed for petty hooliganism and fined about $2,000 for violating the country's propaganda law.

On Wednesday, Russian media reported that some 20 people had filed a 1-billion ruble ($11 million) class-action lawsuit against Ivleeva, claiming they suffered moral damage from viewing the party photographs.

The suit calls for the damages to be paid into a fund that supports soldiers fighting in Ukraine. Hearings in the case would start as early as January but the prospects for the case remain unclear even in a court system that routinely follows the state's lead.

“People can gather half-naked, or naked, or in quilted jackets over thongs. ... 'Socially disapproved' does not necessarily equal ‘illegal’," lawyer Yulia Fedotova was quoted as saying by the news.ru portal.

In the wake of the outrage, several of Russia's biggest pop-culture figures have issued public statements seeking forgiveness for attending the bash.

2 hours ago, Probus said:

This is probably a stupid question but here goes:

Why aren't either side using vast amounts of smoke ammunition to fool these less expensive drones during operations?  I've not seen (hardly) any action where smoke rounds/dischargers were used.  They could even make a smoke round that hangs in the air just above the troops to bork drones.

The front is more than 1000km long, with dozens of hot-spots, both sides deploy hundreds of drones every day, some deep behind the front, it is simply not possible, even if you wanted to, as you would also affect your own drones, to cover a battlefield in smoke 24/7.

Edited by M.Herm

6 hours ago, dan/california said:

Because a streak of mass surrenders is still the best and easiest way for Ukraine to win this war. Every Russian soldier every day needs to think that "I can die of frostbite slowly, unless a drone gets me first, or I can be warm , dry, fed, and comfortable in a Ukrainian POW camp". 

Drop thousands of leaflets

Based on the news this morning I guess we will see whether Ukraine will follow through on it's threats to Russian infrastructure or not. Personally I wouldn't mind a few Russian towns going dark but I really don't think Ukraine is ready to do that yet. 

Edited by hcrof

https://kyivindependent.com/explosions-heard-in-cities-across-ukraine-amid-wave-of-russian-strikes/

Explosions were heard in Kyiv, Zaporizhzhia, Dnipro, Kharkiv, Odesa, and Lviv in the early morning of Dec. 29, according to local reports.

Russia unleashed a barrage of attack drones and missiles overnight, targeting regions across Ukraine.

In Lviv, multiple explosions were heard by Kyiv Independent reporters at 8:20 a.m. local time.

Lviv Mayor Andriy Sadoviy said that according to preliminary information, more than 10 Shahed drones attacked Lviv Oblast.

Other regions in western Ukraine, including Khmelnytskyi, Rivne and Lutsk, which borders Poland, also had air raid alerts.

The Kyiv City Military Administration reported falling debris in at least two districts of Kyiv as of 8:20 a.m. local time. The building of the Lukianivska metro station was damaged by an explosion.

11 minutes ago, hcrof said:

Based on the news this morning I guess we will see whether Ukraine will follow through on it's threats to Russian infrastructure or not. Personally I wouldn't mind a few Russian towns going dark but I really don't think Ukraine is ready to do that yet. 

just to make it easier for everybody to find

In general, in my opinion, missile attacks on Ukrainian cities today play a negative role for the Russians. Russia today is conducting one of the most successful information and psychological campaigns against the Ukrainian state. The Kremlin has successfully undermined Ukrainians' faith in its leadership and is quite successful in countering the mobilization of Ukrainians, pitting them against military officials.

However, massive attacks on rear cities reduce the effectiveness of these informational and psychological actions, returning Ukrainians to reality and indicating who their true enemy is.

Edited by Zeleban

Damn, I've slept so soundly, that didn't hear anything. About 30 aerial targets were shot down over Kyiv and suburbs. One killed and 12 wounded in the city. Storage facility destroyed - most of victims from this place. Also damaged the lobby of one subway station across "Artem" military plant

Total result of attack throughout Ukraine 12 killed and 76 wounded civilians

Edited by Haiduk

13 hours ago, dan/california said:

At what point does Putin run into this problem in a major way?

Looking back at history, I don't think he really has to worry much about that. Stalin killed untold millions without anyone able to stand up to him, Hitler kept feeding Germans into the grinder until the enemy was knocking on the door of his bunker, and then there was also WW1 where there was a bit of a protest brewing in the trenches at one point, but then that was cracked down on and the war continued.

When it comes to Putin's war, I think many of the guys in the meat waves don't even realise just how suicidal it is until it is too late. They probably know it's going to be dangerous, but they still have some kind of idea that they are regular soldiers fighting in a regular war, where you go to attack positions and have at least some chance of surviving. But when they see what it's really like, it's too late - they don't get back to tell the tale, and then the next wave is formed up behind them using fresh meat. So morale is kept going and there's never any substantial buildup of disgruntled troops in Russian lines.

Edited by Bulletpoint

2 hours ago, Zeleban said:

In general, in my opinion, missile attacks on Ukrainian cities today play a negative role for the Russians. Russia today is conducting one of the most successful information and psychological campaigns against the Ukrainian state. The Kremlin has successfully undermined Ukrainians' faith in its leadership and is quite successful in countering the mobilization of Ukrainians, pitting them against military officials.

However, massive attacks on rear cities reduce the effectiveness of these informational and psychological actions, returning Ukrainians to reality and indicating who their true enemy is.

That is why it is so important to get people rotated through the army, with that experience they will never forgive russia.

If they get to keep living in the no war bubble, with parties and all, they will not participate enough to end this war.

Attack are very broad- they targeted something in Western Ukraine again. Damn, they weven hit building in Lviv.

https://kyivindependent.com/russian-strikes-injure-at-least-7-in-kyiv-casualties-reported-in-lviv-dnipro-kharkiv/

Also, in PL all news are about object that flew into our airspace and disappeared from the radar "in the morning hours", not far from Hrubieszów. They are searching for it now, fortunatelly no reports of casualties so far.