How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

Capture d’écran d’une vidéo, prise le 17 mai 2022 et publiée par le ministère russe de la défense le 18 mai 2022, montrant des membres de services ukrainiens alignés sur une route devant des militaires pro-russes après avoir quitté l’usine sidérurgique Azovstal assiégée dans la ville portuaire ukrainienne de Marioupol.

"Screen capture from a video, taken on May 17, 2022 and released by the Russian Defense Ministry on May 18, 2022, showing Ukrainian service members lined up on a road in front of pro-Russian servicemen after leaving the factory Azovstal steelworks under siege in the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol. RUSSIAN DEFENSE MINISTRY VIA AFP"

In 2014/5 the UKR strategy seemed to be to hit the border, expand left and right to seal it and cur off rebel logistics, then turn in on the rebels. This happened, but just as they were starting to seal and turn the RUS attacked.

I'm curious about how Ukraine is shoving east from Kharkhiv, somewhat matching to the general curve of the border. I see some parallels with the 2014 idea, but more as a development of strong principal rather than a slavish copy/paste.

It directly threatens the RUS logistics tail into Izyum, stays within UKR borders, strengthens the UKR narrative of being the invaded defender and creates the potential/staging area of a deeper push across the entire northern sector of the Donbass theater, north of Luhansk.

This would pin/pressure the RUS forces against a geographic feature (Donets) that they have already proven they are unable to competently cross. 

Even if its not a true encirclement, the sense of being pinned and potentially cut off might be what starts to finally break the Ivan. Morale and discipline are two RUS's greatest weaknesses.

Edited by Kinophile

1 hour ago, Taranis said:

Capture d’écran d’une vidéo, prise le 17 mai 2022 et publiée par le ministère russe de la défense le 18 mai 2022, montrant des membres de services ukrainiens alignés sur une route devant des militaires pro-russes après avoir quitté l’usine sidérurgique Azovstal assiégée dans la ville portuaire ukrainienne de Marioupol.

"Screen capture from a video, taken on May 17, 2022 and released by the Russian Defense Ministry on May 18, 2022, showing Ukrainian service members lined up on a road in front of pro-Russian servicemen after leaving the factory Azovstal steelworks under siege in the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol. RUSSIAN DEFENSE MINISTRY VIA AFP"

My bet is those are some of the wounded that were released earlier. There was a report on NPR this morning that the remaining defenders had surrendered (accordion to Russian MoD). So this is likely propaganda photo to back up that claim. Guess we'll have to wait a  bit longer for more reliable info.

I am not quite prepared to believe this on the information available so far. But it does fall in line with rule of thumb that the less the UKR general staff is talking the better they are doing. If true this severs the most direct GLOC into the Northern Donbas. Haven't quite sorted yet if it would bring even their longest range rocket artillery into range of the other one. Cutting one and pressure on the other should bring the Russian offensive in the northern Donbas to a screeching halt. 🤞

@sburke @Kinophile

Some very specific claims about an attack on the HQ of the 810th Naval Infantry Brigade:

Col. Yan Sukhanov, acting commander 810th Guards Separate Naval Infantry Brigade - heavily wounded (commander Col. Aleksey Sharov was killed in Mariupol on Mar. 22nd)

Lt. Col. Aleksey Teremkov, commander 542nd Separate Air-Assault Battalion - heavily wounded

Maj. Leonid Smirnoff, acting commander 382nd Separate Naval Infantry Battalion - heavily wounded

Additionally, this confirmed death from the 810th NIB:

Maj. Anton Morozov, air-assault company commander, 542nd Separate Air-Assault Battalion

The brigade may now be operating on the Kherson or Zaporizhzhia front.

Edited by akd

59 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

https://twitter.com/AggregateOsint/status/1526814175074336768?t=B0tscUn6jp2a-e251nimIg&s=19

Theres that choking, UKR hand on RUS throat, feeling all over again...Kiev 2.0...

I'd be very careful about that info, it was not yet corroborated by any official source, for a third day it was not mentioned by UA General Staff update etc. The video of alleged crossing is 100% from somewhere else. 

10 minutes ago, Harmon Rabb said:

Another reminder of how personal this war feels to much of central and eastern Europe.

Which is why I'm curious about the public opinion in Hungary. For comparison:

Warsaw Pact invasion of Czechoslovakia

Warsaw Pact losses, excluding accidents and 'suicides' (?): 12 Soviets, 2 Bulgarians killed

Czechoslovakian losses: 137 civilians and soldiers killed

Hungarian Revolution of 1956

Soviet losses: 722 killed

Hungarian losses: 2500-3000 fighters & 3000 civilians killed

Russia's deputy prime minister says that the new S-500 air defence system is beginning to enter service with the Russian army. 

I'm guessing there's going to be a certain amount of skepticism about whether they've got more of these ready to deploy than T-14 tanks...

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/5356386

С-500 начали поступать на вооружение российской армии

Вице-премьер Юрий Борисов заявил, что российские зенитные комплексы С-500 «Прометей» производства концерна «Алмаз-Антей» начинают поступать на вооружение армии России. О начале серийного производства комплексов сообщалось в конце апреля.

S-500 began to enter service with the Russian army

Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov said that the Russian S-500 Prometheus anti-aircraft systems manufactured by the Almaz-Antey concern are beginning to enter service with the Russian army. The start of mass production of the complexes was reported at the end of April.

Turkey have set out their negotiating position to allow Sweden and Finland to join NATO.

(EDIT: forgot to add, I'm quoting a Geopolitcal Futures daily report here - ought to give attribution since I'm quoting directly)

According to a Bloomberg report, Turkey is making several demands before it will accept NATO membership for Sweden and Finland, both of which officially submitted their applications on Wednesday. The report said Ankara wants European countries to lift restrictions on the export of weapons to Turkey. Ankara is also demanding that the United States readmit Turkey into the F-35 fighter jet program and lift sanctions that were imposed because of Turkey’s acquisition of Russian S-400 missile defense systems. Ankara also insists, according to the report, that Sweden and Finland denounce not just the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) but also its affiliates, including the Syrian-based People’s 

Edited by TheVulture

46 minutes ago, Hapless said:

Quick recap in ISW maps:

Really striking how fast the area NW of Kyiv changed once the Russians hit the tipping point.

The best part of watching that is watching the red between Kyiv and the the border to the NE--a huge area--recede. Recede because: the Russians are pulling out to reinforce the Donbas!! And then watching the Donbas frontline move a squat's worth of nowhere. How do you say "fizzle" in Russian?

13 minutes ago, TheVulture said:

Turkey have set out their negotiating position to allow Sweden and Finland to join NATO.

(EDIT: forgot to add, I'm quoting a Geopolitcal Futures daily report here - ought to give attribution since I'm quoting directly)

Given that Turkey is NOT demanding that Sweden and Finland deport various Turkish dissidents that reside in both countries I have to say this actually seems workable. Erdogan is a problem for another day, And  the Kurds got bleeped by the last administration. Lets land the Ukrainian thing successfully, and see if Assad is still standing when the dust settles.

On twitter, @mdmitri91 is a worthwhile follow. He's Estonian and translates Russian transcripts he finds. Intercepted calls, interrogations, telegram channels. That sort of stuff. His latest translation is a diary of a Russian conscript starting with when he signs his contract and his very limited "training" before he's inserted into the frontline as a rifleman. He describes how his arrival at his assigned Company brings the unit up to 13 soldiers.

If I were still playing CM:BB I would just give that unit a W order and focus on getting something out of my other units. Just don't run off the screen and mess up my universal morale.

27 minutes ago, Suleyman said:

Back to my previous comment about UA pushing down the axis from Kharkiv, I forgot that there is a Russian force in Belgorod that may attack them if they try a big push south. 

Big question is - is there really a force in Belgorod capable of counterattacking?  I find it hard to believe if such a force existed it wouldn't have already been committed to stop the Ukrainian advance.

11 minutes ago, sburke said:

Big question is - is there really a force in Belgorod capable of counterattacking?  I find it hard to believe if such a force existed it wouldn't have already been committed to stop the Ukrainian advance.

Yeah, I was wondering same thing.  If they had something up north why are they losing so badly up there. 

Meanwhile, UKR seems officially silent about what it's up to w the two alleged bridgeheads.  I hope we get some official news (and victories!) soon.