How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

30 minutes ago, sburke said:

Apple, IKEA, among companies Russia considers nationalizing (msn.com)

How do you nationalize Apple in Russia?  I could kind of understand China taking over the production facility there, but what is Russia going to do?  Take over the genius bar?

There is chatter in the financial industry of possible secondary sanctions against China if they allow Russia to use China's payment systems to bypass sanctions. There is also talk about retail Chinese investors placing bets on China buying distressed Russian assets-you can go a search and find the articles on this.

On the financial news last night I watched reports on some of the big US companies that might get hit by any secondary sanctions against China.

If worst comes to worst we may see a China-Russia alliance vs US/NATO/Japan/South Korea alliance and a complete re-shifting of the global economic order.

7 minutes ago, Bearstronaut said:

About ten years ago I went to the US military’s Defense Language Institute and learned Korean. The events of the last couple weeks has me regretting that I didn’t choose Russian.

nah I just turn to my new favorite news channel Ukraine Today hosted by Haiduk.

Just now, db_zero said:

If worst comes to worst we may see a China-Russia alliance vs US/NATO/Japan/South Korea alliance and a complete re-shifting of the global economic order.

I kind of thought we were already there.  Unfortunately for China they are finding out their ally is ridiculously incompetent.

10 minutes ago, Bearstronaut said:

About ten years ago I went to the US military’s Defense Language Institute and learned Korean. The events of the last couple weeks has me regretting that I didn’t choose Russian.

These days you can buy portable translators. Never used one but some swear by em...

9 minutes ago, riptides said:

You have to wonder if China steps in to "help" the Russians, in Russia. 

Vladivostok, parts of Siberia. China has a long memory too.

China will help itself, but in other ways. Russia has been turning its exports more and more towards China and that will only accelerate after the war, no matter how it turns out. Russia has natural resources and China wants natural resources. However, it will become increasingly evident that Russia is the junior partner in this relationship.

Edited by Sgt Joch

6 minutes ago, sburke said:

I kind of thought we were already there.  Unfortunately for China they are finding out their ally is ridiculously incompetent.

I have to bet that Xi seriously regrets getting into bed with Putin. India is also apparently still neutral with a slight tilt towards Russia. They may want to re-think their purchase of Russian arms especially tanks.

If US and other nations companies pull out of China like Russia that will be huge.

Edited by db_zero

11 minutes ago, sburke said:

The phrase 'shackled to a corpse' comes to mind. 

7 minutes ago, db_zero said:

I have to bet that Xi seriously regrets getting into bed with Putin. India is also apparently still neutral with a slight tilt towards Russia. They may want to re-think their purchase of Russian arms especially tanks

India is Russia agnostic, but decidedly anti-China. If the Russia-China axis materializes, it will turn India strongly anti-Russia by consequence. Indian industry is currently not up to equipping their entire army with modern domestic products, but I bet in ten years it will be. And what international stocks they need will come from western nations, maybe the US maybe the UK. As long as China is unsatisfied by its current borders, it will come into conflict with India

But also lets keep in mind that, short term readjustments aside, China and Russia also have outstanding border issues. Russia was as big a part of the 'century of humiliation' as the rest of the west, and a reborn Russian empire would probably include retrenchment in the east. Al neither Russia nor China have a track record of being very nice to their friends. Both tend to prefer satellites and clients over allies. Lots of reason to suggest that a strong Russia cannot coexist with a Chinese-Russian alliance long term. 

Edited by BeondTheGrave

12 minutes ago, db_zero said:

I have to bet that Xi seriously regrets getting into bed with Putin. India is also apparently still neutral with a slight tilt towards Russia. They may want to re-think their purchase of Russian arms especially tanks.

If US and other nations companies pull out of China like Russia that will be huge.

China is not Russia, its economy is too masive to de-stabilise without seriously impacting the world economy.

U.S. also tends to turn a blind eye when it comes to China. For example, China has been importing millions of barrels of Oil from Iran even though they are hit by sanctions, but the U.S. is ignoring it.

China has also been smart when it comes to sanction busting, it is playing a double game. Officially, it is against U.S. sanctions since it does not want to be dictated to by the U.S., but un-officially, its major Banks and companies are following US/EU sanctions against Russia.

What China typically does is designate just a few companies to break sanctions, that way if they are hit by U.S. legal proceedings, it does not have a big impact on the Chinese economy.

11 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

That would be a neat trick, which I can't do :)

From what I can see there are two T-72s and a BMP-2 (I think it is a 2) with infantry on the rear deck.  Looks like one T-72 gets hit and survives (white stuff goes everywhere... wonder what that was?), then starts to back up with the BMP.  There's a miss that hits the building off to the right, then a hit on the BMP.  As the withdrawing tank is passing by it the BMP is either hit a second time or has a massive secondary explosion (probably hit, that seems too big).  The other thank, meanwhile, moved forward and down off the road.  It gets hit and explodes in a very dramatic way.  Last bit comes after a jump cut to the footage.  Surviving tank is quite a bit down the road and some wheeled vehicle (Tigr?) is retreating very fast by it.  Looks like some sort of truck is cautiously advancing towards the tank.

Steve

That “white smoke” looked like WP to me. Perhaps an artillery marking round? Do we/they still use them?

1 hour ago, Haiduk said:

Next loss of high-ranked Russian officer, confirmed by local Russian media

Lt.colonel Alexei Khasanov, deputy commander of 31st Fighter aviation regiment, Millerovo airfield, Rostov oblast. He got lost on 5th of March. Participated in bombing of Syria. 

The regiment armed with Su-30SM.

Зображення

May he rest in hell.

1 hour ago, sburke said:

Apple, IKEA, among companies Russia considers nationalizing (msn.com)

How do you nationalize Apple in Russia?  I could kind of understand China taking over the production facility there, but what is Russia going to do?  Take over the genius bar?

Again, going back to russian mentality - if you steal something - it automatically becomes yours - be it history, territory or iphones magically spawning out of thin air inside an apple store

7 hours ago, DesertFox said:

Bunch of liars

All Ukrainians, you can go back to your apartments. You have not been attacked! And all of Europe can calm down, since Russia are not planning to attack any one of your countries either. I feel so much calmer now, after Lavrovs lies promises.

5 hours ago, panzermartin said:

Are Russians only fighting inside vehicles stuck in highways ? I haven't seen any foot soldier action inside towns and cities. If I was playing a CM battles and was facing a myriad of very capable AT weapons I would use a heavy infantry force to counter that. Seems they have only limited special forces and conscript infantry with no clue how to fight in cities. 

This! The historic purpose of armor has been to support infantry by taking out hard points or distance fire locations. Infantry protect armor from AT weapons so the armor can provide their support.

1 hour ago, DesertFox said:

Mokrets village area, Brovary disrict of Kyiv oblast. It is neigbour village to Zavorychi, where KORD police shot out with RPG-7 two other tanks several days ago. But there is a snow on the video and clear sky like today, maybe our troops advanced in this directions and retook it back.  

On both videos 7 tanks, 2 MTLB, 1 BREM-1 and TOR.