How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

10 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

sperate and employ chemical first and then maybe (and it is a very big maybe) tactical nuclear weapons.  The shock of their use somehow crumbles Ukrainian resolve, quick surrender

No way.

If anything, Kyiv going up in flames would just serve to make any Ukrainians at the front lines fight like devils. Imagine fighting to defend your family, and they get burned alive by the enemy. Do you then lay down your weapons and surrender? Hell no.

The actual things eroding morale are being out of food, out of ammunition, and out of C2, and surrounded.

Edited by Bulletpoint

8 minutes ago, cyrano01 said:

It looks like that is old video dating back to January.

Two things I notice in this video:

1) It's quite a lot of people protesting in a country where joining a demonstration can get you beaten savagely and lose your job.

2) The protest is still not large enough to block the street. They stay on the sidewalk. A real protest would block the roads.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Probably SBU interrogation of mayor Krasnoyartsev, "fat pilot" 

- Where you flew yesterday?

- Southern from Chernihiv... There is a some kind of road... I'dont remember

- But you the pilot! You must remember own flights!

- Well.... I got my objectives during the flight.. I have to work at the road with a burst (maybe he means rockets or series of bombs). I did it. 

- Who from yours flew to us [to Chernihiv] two days ago and bombed civilians?

- I don't know... I explain.. We are receiving own tasks for 10-15 minutes before take off and in this time we can prepare to the mission, explore the flight area... Ans I can't say exactly who flew there, all is changing too fast... They order - fly there, and then command abort mission, now fly here 

- Say please, are you really informed that there are no civilian population here?

- Yes

- But you fly to work at the city... Сan you see this is a city? 

- We were told that all were taken out of here...

- And everybody were taken out, and the city is completely empty, and the wind shakes the blades of the grass, and the cars drive by themselves, like at Ilon Mask? Yes? Like a Tesla. Do you understand that now there is... I'm speaking in Russian with you now, right?... there is a hostility between or nations for hundred years? Do you understand this? Say!..

- Well,,, I understand...

- And how we will exit from this situation?

- I don't support our current policy...

- But why you flew to us, why you drop the bomb, why you killed the oldman? [when he went down by parachute, civilians spotted him and run to catch, but he shot in civilians and killed the oldman]

- I'm a military... I have an order...

- But listen, the order also can be executed in differnt way! You could just to "miss" - this is happening. Right? You reached the point, stood on the combat course and just "missed". Somewhere aside. And nobody wouldn't say you anything! This is the war, this is happening. You anyway see this is civilian buildins, right? For why you worked at them? Tell me honestly.

Edited by Haiduk

2 hours ago, DesertFox said:

That "selfdefense" measures speak volumes...Firewood and a barbecue grillgrate? I don´t think so...

Most likely effective against small arms fire penetrating their radiators, but nothing more.

I guess my last post didn't go through so here goes again. I am disgusted by the likes of danfrodo and dan/california as they shout for war, war by my countrymen, because I feel that anybody hollering for war that loud obviously has never been to war. I have. I joined the USMC in 1966 and deployed to RVN in 1967. I was assigned to I Corps, 1/9 Marines. I understand sacrifice. I understand death. I do not understand these things when they do not benefit my nation in any way and that's what this amounts to. I joined, and I'll be the first to admit that it was not out of patriotism but out of "I'm gonna get drafted so %$^& it". I DID however think that I should contribute to the larger war against communism. That, unfortunately was BS too. It was all BS. My belief in America and what it "stands for" led to my son being a casualty of my own retarded beliefs as well. He joined in time for the glorious "Operation Iraqi Freedom" and hes now a mind$%#@ too. He was an 0311 in Fallujah and now 18 years after? Yeah, hes $##^ed. Rah rah USA. I'm sure I'll be belittled and talked down to over this but I could give a %^$' less, walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my son's shoes...

3 minutes ago, BlutUndEhre said:

I guess my last post didn't go through so here goes again. I am disgusted by the likes of danfrodo and dan/california as they shout for war, war by my countrymen, because I feel that anybody hollering for war that loud obviously has never been to war. I have. I joined the USMC in 1966 and deployed to RVN in 1967. I was assigned to I Corps, 1/9 Marines. I understand sacrifice. I understand death. I do not understand these things when they do not benefit my nation in any way and that's what this amounts to. I joined, and I'll be the first to admit that it was not out of patriotism but out of "I'm gonna get drafted so %$^& it". I DID however think that I should contribute to the larger war against communism. That, unfortunately was BS too. It was all BS. My belief in America and what it "stands for" led to my son being a casualty of my own retarded beliefs as well. He joined in time for the glorious "Operation Iraqi Freedom" and hes now a mind$%#@ too. He was an 0311 in Fallujah and now 18 years after? Yeah, hes $##^ed. Rah rah USA. I'm sure I'll be belittled and talked down to over this but I could give a %^$' less, walk a mile in my shoes, walk a mile in my son's shoes...

it did go through.  I think you need to understand is you are hearing people's frustration with watching the Russians continue to target and murder innocent civilians.  You'd have to be completely inhumane to not want it to stop especially if you know our military could halt it within hours... in a virtual world where there wasn't immediate follow-on impact that might actually be worse.  Neither of those you mentioned are warmongers blindly following a gov't position and for all I know they may have both served previously.

1 minute ago, sburke said:

kraze you are depressing the sh1t out of me, but yeah I saw that news earlier.  Wait till they find out they can't get coca cola.

That won't be a problem, since Coca Cola has declared they want to continue to export to Russia. Even my local booze pushers tell me they refuse to sell Russian vodka...

1 minute ago, Bulletpoint said:

That won't be a problem, since Coca Cola has declared they want to continue to export to Russia. Even my local booze pushers tell me they refuse to sell Russian vodka...

Coke has announced they are stopping production yesterday

1 minute ago, sburke said:

Coke has announced they are stopping production yesterday

I'm behind the news then. Last thing I heard was that they wanted to continue to sell coke in Russia. I thought that sounded incredibly tone deaf... I guess somebody with more sense thumped the table at the HQ.

I  would like to ask though, if you have already posted on your opinion on what NATO/The West should do/ Should have done please refrain from constantly doing so, unless their is a change in the situation. It is getting somewhat spammy

Thanks!

47 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

While direct attacks of any sort by NATO forces would be big escalation, the safe zone would be emphasized as humanitarian and defensive.   Yes, arms would leave that safe zone for the east and Putin will flip out over that, but that makes it all that much better.  If he attacked those NATO forces he could really get hurt badly by retaliatory strikes; badly enough he might actually be compelled to remove forces from much of Ukraine.

Any action that Putin can goad NATO into other than sanctions is a win for him. That way he can say”See, I was right all along, NATO is a threat to Mother Russia!”

I hope everyone has the sense to notice that despite his threats, there have not been any cyber attacks against any NATO member. That speaks volumes right there. NATO is virtually begging him to use a cyber attack against any member!

3 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

I hope everyone has the sense to notice that despite his threats, there have not been any cyber attacks against any NATO member. That speaks volumes right there. NATO is virtually begging him to use a cyber attack against any member!

Nah, there is no reason for Russia to launch any cyber attacks at this point. The benefits would be negligble, and the risks substantial.

2 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Nah, there is no reason for Russia to launch any cyber attacks at this point. The benefits would be negligble, and the risks substantial.

I think Putin would love to have some response to the sanctions.  Risking NATO invoking article 5 though is a bit much.  To put the sanctions in perspective even if many feel it isn't enough

This provided the groundwork for the response of the international community, which has been harsher than anything seen in modern diplomacy. It's harsher than any reaction to Soviet invasions of Hungary or Czechoslovakia or Afghanistan, harsher than the global response to the Tiananmen Square massacre in 1989, harsher than any sanctions or weapons embargo on South Africa or Iran or Burma. The only precedent for anything remotely like this is the global reaction to the last time a regional power endeavored to invade and occupy whole a neighboring state: when Iraq conquered Kuwait in 1990.

Biden's Bold Gamble Might Just Save Ukraine | Opinion (msn.com)

Not sure how determined the Brits are to sanction Russians:

Update from GOV.UK for:

Entering England during coronavirus

Change made:
If you began your journey in Russia, you do not need to complete a passenger locator form, or take a COVID-19 test before travel to England or on arrival.

Time updated:
7:41pm, 5 March 2022

12 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

Any action that Putin can goad NATO into other than sanctions is a win for him. That way he can say”See, I was right all along, NATO is a threat to Mother Russia!”

I think NATO learned from its mistakes in the past years and is actively cyber-attacking Russia, forcing them into a defensive mode - hence maximum internet crackdown.

Err I mean "Anonymous" and 'friends' are cool dudes.

Edited by kraze

3 minutes ago, kraze said:

If true this is the first time "cancel culture" is actually doing legit good things

what the hell is cancel culture even?  people have made choices about products they do or don't want to buy for various reasons for generations.  Now it's a pejorative term as if there is something wrong with deciding cause A means something to me and I don't want to buy products that undermine it.  Rosa Parks refusing to sit in the back started the Montgomery Bus Boycott.  That was "cancel culture".