How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

1 minute ago, DesertFox said:

Wasn´t aware that the lunatic has some sort of contact phobia...

He knows whose speaking because he has their scripts set in front of him. Also is that the old Politburo meeting room?

Also a correction for another story I recently posted. Apparently Gen Staff shake ups are still just hearsay. Sorry!

2 minutes ago, CHEqTRO said:

A whole convoy of russian forces found abandoned by civilians. I hope the ukranian forces or the civilians themselves are disabling them, so they cannot be retaken by the Russians

Okay I get that running out of fuel sucks, nobody wants to bog down in a warzone. But where did all the soldiers go? Those are BTRs, shouldn't there be lots of infantry to establish a perimeter? Did they run out of gas and just **** off and go home? Tankers without their tank are almost useless to a modern army, unless Russia is going to fall back on its T-62 reserves (does it even still have T-62s?) 

24 minutes ago, Sarjen said:

So the consensus here is that Putin will up the weight and contribute the next 1/4 of his forces to get Kyiv and Charkiw. He will start to attack the cities with artilley and cruise missiles while sending the army of Belarus to the west of Ukraine to cut them from supplies of the west.

What do you think will the West do, once the civilian casualties of the population become intolerable? Do you think NATO, EU or independent nations that border to Ukraine will act to hold a relief corridor open? Or declare the western half of Ukraine as a NOFLY-zone to protect the evacuees? Or do you think they will do nothing in fear of nuclear retaliation?

I think for the West, especially Europe this is a decisive moment. If we back up now, we're lost. And betray all our ideals, where many people died and suffered for. As I said before, we have to DO something. So yes, a corridor, a NOFLY-zone and no fear for nuclear threats. The future and freedom of Europe and the rest of the free world is at stake.

“Though much is taken, much abides; and though We are not now that strength which in old days Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”

Alfred Lord Tennyson

Edited by Aragorn2002

3 minutes ago, BeondTheGrave said:

Okay I get that running out of fuel sucks, nobody wants to bog down in a warzone. But where did all the soldiers go? Those are BTRs, shouldn't there be lots of infantry to establish a perimeter? Did they run out of gas and just **** off and go home? Tankers without their tank are almost useless to a modern army, unless Russia is going to fall back on its T-62 reserves (does it even still have T-62s?) 

The thing is that it seems that in some cases is not so much that they are running out of fuel, but rather that they themselves are throwing it up once they realize where they are heading. There are videos that I posted yesterday of civilians actually picking up russian soldiers and getting them to Ukranian authorities. That tells us that those soldiers were completely left alone by the rest of their forces and that their moral very low, as they, being armed, actually handed themselves up to unarmed civilians.

Edited by CHEqTRO

40 minutes ago, Sarjen said:

So the consensus here is that Putin will up the weight and contribute the next 1/4 of his forces to get Kyiv and Charkiw. He will start to attack the cities with artilley and cruise missiles while sending the army of Belarus to the west of Ukraine to cut them from supplies of the west.

What do you think will the West do, once the civilian casualties of the population become intolerable? Do you think NATO, EU or independent nations that border to Ukraine will act to hold a relief corridor open? Or declare the western half of Ukraine as a NOFLY-zone to protect the evacuees? Or do you think they will do nothing in fear of nuclear retaliation?

My money would be on convincing Zelenskyy to no longer  martyr tens of thousands of his people and capitulate. Can NATO maintain a limited conventional  war with Russia in it's current state and are they very confident it won't escalate to nuclear war?

10 minutes ago, AlanSA said:

My money would be on convincing Zelenskyy to no longer  martyr tens of thousands of his people and capitulate. Can NATO maintain a limited conventional  war with Russia in it's current state and are they very confident it won't escalate to nuclear war?

Can we stop blaming the victim please?    

11 minutes ago, AlanSA said:

Offer NATO and EU  membership to  all three states immediately .  Russia , Belarus and  Ukraine .  Removal of Sanctions  , immediate cessation of hostilities  , removal of all  Russian Forces from Ukrainian Territory ....and then we go from there .

2 minutes ago, keas66 said:

Offer NATO and EU  membership to  all three states immediately .  Russia , Belarus and  Ukraine .  Removal of Sanctions  , immediate cessation of hostilities  , removal of all  Russian Forces from Ukrainian Territory ....and then we go from there .

Would be great if that would work. 

19 minutes ago, AlanSA said:

I thought South Africans were made of sterner stuff. Do you let your wife get raped, because you're afraid to get a beating?

NATO is not that weak and we still have the strongest country in the world behind us.

Edited by Aragorn2002

The UN Secretary General has just said in a speech at the special emergency meeting that Kiyv is "encircled on all sides". Watching it on Deutsche Welle right now. Wondering if that was based on the AP report? You'd think he of all people would have access to pretty good intel.

BBC now also covered it:

"It is raging across the country, from air, land and sea. It must stop now. Russian missile and air bombardments are pounding Ukrainian cities day and night. The capital, Kyiv, is encircled and under attack from all sides"

António Guterres, UN Secretary General

Edited by Bulletpoint

20 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I thought South Africans were made of sterner stuff. Do you let your wife get raped, because you're afraid to get a beating?

NATO is not that weak and we still have the strongest country in the world behind us.

Really now. Enough with this analogy. Noone can win a nuclear war. I fear Putin has signs of deteriorating mental health, I hope the personnel won't carry his orders, like the troops on the ground did. 

2 hours ago, arkhangelsk2021 said:

Hong Kong, to be exact, but yes, China. "One-China" and all that, after all (unless, of course, it's to complain about the US failing to recognize HK as a separate customs zone to the WTO 😅)

Hmm, yes. Never understood why Hong Kong was 'given back'.

But we in the West won't forget the role China is playing right now.

3 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Falaise,

Don't know where this originated, but it sure is helpful. In English it loosely reads

Z alone, forces from Russia            
Z with square, forces from Crimea
O forces from Belarus
V marine infantry
X Chechens
A special forces

Got Z right, Z with square partially right (was Russian) and partially wrong (Crimea fail), O right (conclusion by entry point and historical Soviet ID markings for operational strategic offensives); but had no idea and offered no opinions on V, X, and A. 

Regards,

John Kettler

yes excuse me, I forgot to retranslate and cite the source "Ukrainian Army General Staff"

7 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

While I understand the sentiment, I don’t agree with your statement. Since many here like to use references to Iraq, I will say this, and please understand that my assessment is based on having been a Marine Infantryman. If I was commanding a column of AAVs (amtracks), and a car came speeding down the road towards us, and if the lead AAV veered off to stop the speeding vehicle, I’d probably recommend the lead AAV driver for a medal for fast thinking and selflessness to save the rest of the column from a possible VIED. I honestly respect the driver of the armored vehicle for the same thing. Now I don’t know for sure why the driver did what he did, but if it is as I assume, I respect his courage regardless of whether he is considered an enemy or not.

in Iraq, we had snipers that would take out the driver of a vehicle that was approaching in a threatening manner. I would never depreciate the courage of ANY combatant based on his or her alignment.

Fair enough