Did the Soviets really stop issuing binoculars after WW2?

Haha, I'm the same. Played some battles as the Americans and thought I was actually good at CM, but turns out its because the enemy cannot see my guys at all.

43 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Yes, I was wondering about that myself during the first Soviet campaign mission. A combat reconnaissance patrol with hardly any binoculars. Seems fishy.

582khb.jpg

Edited by Jammybee

Just played that tiny mission to get my head into the game i thought it was Soviets vs AI but too easy and guessing I need to play as Americans. 

Nice scenario to ease you in...

Would like to know about binoculars, as an aside my Grandad bought a decent set from I think Bulgaria on a holiday in the 50's he used them at Doncaster race course to fuel his gambling by betting on the horses. Maybe rather than give them to the soldiers they were being sold to gain foreign currency? 

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Our Russian army guru reported back stating that no binocs at squad level is correct. In this timeframe they're reserved for officers at platoon level. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just relaying the information. :blink:

Oh and if you plan to take this guy on, come with DNA-level evidence (don't tell anyone but he actually scares me).

2 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Yes, I was wondering about that myself during the first Soviet campaign mission. A combat reconnaissance patrol with hardly any binoculars. Seems fishy.

582khb.jpg

That kind of unit isn't a permanent reconnaissance unit, it's assembled from within the battalion, so it's nowhere near as capable. It's actually one of my favourite little units in CM, for reasons I'm not entirely clear on - typically it's something like two BMPs, an HQ, two half squads and an ATGM. Typically this unit is supposed to observe, fight for information or set ambushes, and is supposed to be aggressive in its application. It doesn't have any of the toys of the dedicated recon units - binoculars, radios(!) or fancy things like the radar in CMBS.

5 hours ago, Jammybee said:

The soviets in RT are much better furnished.

Does the Soviet rifle platoon in CMRT really have binoculars in each squad and at platoon leader? This is incorrect!

Here the document of rifle company equipmnet according to rifle regiment Shtat 04/551 (December 1942), which was actual up to the spring 1945. In equipment column you can see letters "пп" (SMG), "б" (binocular), "к" (compass). And here the terriblle thing - there are NO. ONE. binocular in the rifle platoons. Neither platoon leader nor squad leaders have binoculars. Only company commander and 50 mm mortar platoon (actually abscent in 1944) leader had. 

453742_original.jpg

@akd I think, this have to be reported for CMRT

Edited by Haiduk

11 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

@Haiduk will likely know the answer to this, or have some insight. His depth of knowledge on all things Soviet, especially the nuance is quite impressive. 

According to Suvarov the Soviet were still wearing leg wrappings in this time period, but this has nothing to do with binocular distribution, I know.

Who needs binoculars in the Soviet army? He still needs training (green). Distance 1km, conditions thick haze. Not only does he spot the tank in the hull down position he identifies it as a Panther. 

green.png

Edited by chuckdyke
spelling

8 hours ago, dpabrams said:

According to Suvarov the Soviet were still wearing leg wrappings in this time period, but this has nothing to do with binocular distribution, I know.

Which kind of leg wrapping? The one they put on instead of socks, or the ww1 style that you put over the leggings?

10 minutes ago, Bufo said:

IIRC also Muricans and/or British still used these during ww2. (The smaller version)

Puttees were still worn in the British Army until about 1984 - I joined it that year and escaped the unpleasantness that they involved but there were still plenty cutting around in them.