Do you have a GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER?

A GeForce RTX 2070 Super here, but it doesn't have the absolutely latest drivers (though I wouldn't think that would be much of an issue).

How is CM not running. Do you get absolutely nothing when you launch it or some kind of error or display corruption ? Were you able to activate the game(s) at all ? If you're installing CMBN you are NOT using the 1.x installer (which isn't compatible with Windows 10), are you ?

Hi guys... I opened a ticket and went over all this with tech support, but John didn't have any answers and said he had to "check with HQ" - the only suggestion that came back was that the videocard itself was suspect.

What happens is that when I try to run CMBS (the easiest to install) is that I see a black screen for a fraction of a second and then the screen reverts to desktop.  Doesn't change if I use the shortcut or "Run as Admin".

Have tried disabling Defender and reinstalling the game and restarting with no difference.  Oddly, when I did that this time I did not even see the license screen.

11 minutes ago, Erwin said:

reinstalling the game

Did you try re-downloading the installer?  In the thread elsewhere where @Heady3543 had a similar (or the same?) issue it turned out he had a few files missing from his first installer attempt.  Perhaps John has already checked this however? 

You were active in that thread so apologies if I'm just saying what you already know.

Were you ever able to successfully activate CMBS on this computer or did you never see the license screen ?

Which specific GeForce driver do you have and is it something supplied by Microsoft or something downloaded from Nvidia's website ? Typically there shouldn't be much, if any, difference between some of these video drivers now-a-days, but there's always a possibility that something is strange.

That could make sense.....Maybe disable all your AV etc.  Redownload a full game installer.  Extract with the recomended decompression ap.  Reinstall and create exclusions for the install directory with your AV.

If it works with one, it should work with 'em all.

If you've already tried ALL of those steps in combination, I really don't know what to suggest.

2 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Were you ever able to successfully activate CMBS on this computer or did you never see the license screen ?

Which specific GeForce driver do you have and is it something supplied by Microsoft or something downloaded from Nvidia's website ? Typically there shouldn't be much, if any, difference between some of these video drivers now-a-days, but there's always a possibility that something is strange.

The first time I installed CMBS it activated successfully.  I think we talked about that a few months ago.

The drivers are from nVidia download.

2 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

Did you try re-downloading the installer?  In the thread elsewhere where @Heady3543 had a similar (or the same?) issue it turned out he had a few files missing from his first installer attempt.  Perhaps John has already checked this however? 

Not sure what you mean by "installer".  I did re-download the full install file from BF site to another machine that runs CM games fine, then transferred the folder to an ext HD and from there to the new computer for installation.  When I talked with John it seemed that I had all the brz files with nothing missing.  Actually, I had more up to date files than he did lol.

2 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

John is suggesting specific compression programs to extract the installer files with (7Zip or Bandizip ?).

I think the new machine only has winRAR.  But, if all the brz file/folders were present in the Data folder...   Unless WinRAR corrupted something...?

Do you have Geforce Experience installed?

It's actually a dead efficient way of keeping your drivers up to date.

37 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I think the new machine only has winRAR.

Maybe check it is fuly updated?

For all we might argue, I can't bear to think of you not being able to play your favourite games.....Seriously, it sucks and I really hope you can sort it.  B)

Uninstalling and reinstalling the game on a computer where it has been previously activated will NOT show an activation window again. This will only happen if you delete or reinstall Windows itself (resulting in the need to freshly activate the game) or change the hardware in this computer significantly enough to invalidate the activation (a new motherboard, CPU or videocard MIGHT do this). These sorts of changes will typically result in an error dialog box about the license rather than a black screen that might quickly disappear. In these situations you would need to us the gsClean utility to remove the activation and allow for the activation window to come up again on the next run of the game or activation shortcut. It's only in these situations that you would see the activation window again.

In the past a few users have run into issues with the file compression on the installer files. Typically these were probably .zip files and they were using the Windows Explorer's built-in unzipping capability. Some people ran into issues with this decompression while others didn't. When it comes to .rar files, I would assume WinRAR would be a good choice (I've used it myself), but if necessary you can attempt to extract the files with Bandizip and see if that makes a difference (this would be extracting the .rar download that you initially get from Battlefront that in turn provides the actual installer files).

I'm not sure exactly what you would see if the main game executable was corrupt in some manner. Typically I would probably expect a "blue-screen" error or some other error dialog, but a 'black screen' that quickly disappears could be a possibility. In most cases though you would probably get an error during installation if there was significant corruption of the installer files.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

@Erwin what a royal pain ... do you have access to another graphics card you can try in your new rig. Doesn’t need to be anything special just another card. Or you could try taking the existing card out and running the rig on integrated graphics if your CPU supports that. The game will generally launch on integrated graphics, might just be a bit clunky. Basically try to isolate the new GPU as the issue. Can you beg or borrow a card from someone?

Another idea might be to go onto Amazon and buy yourself a cheap nVidia card - 1650 or 1660 - see if that’ll run without problems. You might get the reactivation stuff come up because of the hardware change, but support should be able to help you sort that if needed. Again the aim is to isolate you current card as a hardware issue - once you’ve done testing just return the cheap card to Amazon as non-compatible, might cost you postage is all.

I had a similar issues a few years ago with an Nvidia card. What it turned out to be was CM was, for some reason, trying to run the game on the CPUs integrated graphics card instead of the GPU. Had to switch the settings around to specifically run CM using the GPU. Problem solved. I don't know if this is the case for you or not as those dedicated cards have come a long way in the last several years, but it may be worth checking. 

9 hours ago, Erwin said:

What happens is that when I try to run CMBS (the easiest to install) is that I see a black screen for a fraction of a second and then the screen reverts to desktop.  Doesn't change if I use the shortcut or "Run as Admin".

I was confronted to the same issue last week when trying to run CMSF2. 

I had to run in compatibility mode for Windows 8 to get the game launched.

I have the same problem with CMFI. Double-clicking on the desktop icon will elicit no response. Neither will double-clicking on the .exe file in the BF folder. Absolutely dumbfounding. No other BF game has this issue.

Incredibly enough I tried adding it to Steam as a third-party game and it launched perfectly. It's now the only way I can launch it. If you have Steam I'd give it a try.