My Battle for Normandy stories

8 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Ideally for me the final entry would be probably made by one or more of the team(s) that had been providing suppressing fire.....The initial assault teams would now cover their advance.

I hate doing that.....Nothing kills immersion and realism like sudden acts of god!

Even while testing Heaven & Earth jungle-fighting I tried to keep trees on (purely for immersion) and as I've said before I'm tying to learn how to make maps which actually hide the presence of fortifications.

I did it for illustration purposes for the screenshot.  Otherwise, some details are hidden. (The screenshot displayed the Red Cross) If you fire you give your position away. The opposition becomes situational aware. The troops I use for assault are hidden and become situational aware as much as possible through the C2. The demonstrated Assault was 2 turns and it was over. The fortifications dents annoy me immensely, it took the fun away out of Edge of Darkness. If 'Red' had some proper standing or listening patrols it would be a far more enjoyable game. I would like to know how to make one. But Alt+T will reveal them right away. It is something they could make and using Alt +T get rid of camouflaged units as well as trees. It is something on my wish list like TRP's you can start a scenario with "Listening Patrols on selected spots". Then the opposition needs to put in place a proper patrol program. Snipers uses a camouflaged OP to assassinate some bigwig etc.  

58 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I hate doing that.....Nothing kills immersion and realism like sudden acts of god!

I very rarely do it because as you say it kills the immersion. Occasionally in the thickest woodland in Red Thunder where I can't see the track I'm trying to follow is about it.

I pretty much stick by the old mantras, "My granddad and his mates couldn't turn the trees off so why should I?" or, "If I wanted to play in Telegraphpoleland, I wouldn't have bought Battle for Normandy."

Well in that regard .. the AI in the last mission opened HMG fire on Squad 3 through very dense foliage of trees. So if AI can see through it i don't see a reason to not turn it off when it gets in the way. One ocassion when i needed them off was just before the final assault on the trenches. The lowest camera position is still a bit higher than a pixeltrupp that is standing and much more higher than a crouching one. Because of that i couldn't see what my units see when looking up the hill. It's still a game and i think it's a usefull optional feature.

Edited by Zloba

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I very rarely do it because as you say it kills the immersion. Occasionally in the thickest woodland in Red Thunder where I can't see the track I'm trying to follow is about it.

I pretty much stick by the old mantras, "My granddad and his mates couldn't turn the trees off so why should I?" or, "If I wanted to play in Telegraphpoleland, I wouldn't have bought Battle for Normandy."

Sometimes it is hard to plot waypoints through a forest. It has its uses, we could introduce 'Agent Orange' in the Vietnam game. But I don't think the stuff was that stong. Just the stumps showing is about right. 

5 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

The emphasis of Platoon A is security and recon the others are more suitable for attack or assault. The responsibilities overlap each other.

Is this something that is how it works IRL or is it how you use them? If you have experience from this yourself, if you were in the army or any other fighting force, why not tell us an anecdote about it? As far as I understand from what you have written earlier you are 70 years old and could have experienced things as a soldier.

Season 1 Finale was great! Makes me want to try my hand at a CM Machinima. I was hoping Lt. Poon would give a dressing down to whoever tossed the 'nade at the POWs. The only good Hun is a dead Hun, I suppose.

I prefer to use HUNT instead of ASSAULT when approaching prepared opposition. I have had too many half-squads cut down, giving the other half-squad cold feet. I find ASSAULT useful for advancing through closely watched open areas, and clearing buildings.

For a poorly preforming PC, hiding the trees can improve frame rates. Now, I am slowly unlearning this bad habit. Turns out that ignoring the dimensions of your concealment can be hazardous to your health.

6 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Season 1 Finale was great! Makes me want to try my hand at a CM Machinima. I was hoping Lt. Poon would give a dressing down to whoever tossed the 'nade at the POWs. The only good Hun is a dead Hun, I suppose.

I prefer to use HUNT instead of ASSAULT when approaching prepared opposition. I have had too many half-squads cut down, giving the other half-squad cold feet. I find ASSAULT useful for advancing through closely watched open areas, and clearing buildings.

For a poorly preforming PC, hiding the trees can improve frame rates. Now, I am slowly unlearning this bad habit. Turns out that ignoring the dimensions of your concealment can be hazardous to your health.

I use the traffic light analogy. It is a state of mind. Green you walk firearm is slinged, Amber you hunt with a cover arc (The Cover arc is a fire order and the firearm is at the ready) Red you fire and assault. Assault means to eliminate the opposition the movement itself can be used as you see fit. Be generous with your cover arcs we all have been engaged by units outside them. I see cover arcs as orders to fire in an allotted zone. When you have a contact like while you're on hunt your unit is likely to fire first. Different people different ways to play the game.

7 hours ago, BornGinger said:

Is this something that is how it works IRL or is it how you use them? If you have experience from this yourself, if you were in the army or any other fighting force, why not tell us an anecdote about it? As far as I understand from what you have written earlier you are 70 years old and could have experienced things as a soldier.

This is a game, but it is how it works in RL. You have a fire team. Leader, Pointman, Marksman, Grenadier. Squads can split up in 2 or more teams. You must have a good reason to do this. Like scouting and overwatch. Platoon functions the same way as a fireteam. One squad (Alpha) Security and Recon. Squads Bravo and Charley need the intel to attack or assault. Intel points out the enemy is too strong for the platoon. The platoon becomes a security platoon it engages to obtain Intel. I am pleased with this game but the PDF files how it works are not clear enough. Threat your computer as a sniper's rifle and use DOPE Data of Personal Experiences. Play WeGo for this reason. Replay listen what is said. Read the behaviors of your troops. You will ideally pick the +2 troops for assault. Some games you don't have them if you still assault you will suffer in morale. 

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Now we're getting there.....If there's one 'right way' to play CM, I'm buggered if I know what it is!   :D

My reasoning is as follows different people different experiences. As an analogy I use the traffic light. Green: troops travel with their side arms at ease or slinged. Amber they go on hunt consider a cover arc. A cover arc is a fire order. Go to camera position one and listen when you delete a cover arc. Red: Direct fire order and assault. The game is a firing range with popup targets the way I see it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Currently i'm trying small scenarios to enjoy the game without recording anything. But i'm looking forward to play the advanced training campaign and report with my story from there.

I needed a change as the work on my last video took huge amount of time. I think i spent more time shooting and editing the video than playing the game actually. I need to balance that.

I'm thinking about splitting the stories to multiple shorter videos, something like episodes.

Edited by Zloba

6 hours ago, Zloba said:

Currently i'm trying small scenarios to enjoy the game without recording anything. But i'm looking forward to play the advanced training campaign and report with my story from there.

I needed a change as the work on my last video took huge amount of time. I think i spent more time shooting and editing the video than playing the game actually. I need to balance that.

I'm thinking about splitting the stories to multiple shorter videos, something like episodes.

The most important thing is to enjoy yourself. Whether it is playing the game or making videos. And the episode approach to videos is something that a lot of people do.