My Battle for Normandy stories

Hello everyone,

i'm Zloba and i bought the CMBN Big Bundle just a few days ago, after being on the fence for the last 2-3 years. Thanks again to everyone who helped me decide.

While playing the first tutorial campaign i thought it would be cool to make something different. So i'll be using this thread as some sort of journal where i want to share my experience with the game. So here goes my 1st attempt on a Combat Mission game video. I'm open to suggestions on how to do it better next time. Feel free to leave comments here or directly under the video itself. And i hope you enjoy it at least a little.

Good effort, I particularly enjoyed the mortar bits.  Also the Tiger at the end is perhaps relevant to a recent discussion on side versus rear armour on the Tiger 1.

My 'training' was somewhat more stressful - for CM as a game system it was the RT demo 'Monster Mash' and for BN it was the demo 'Roadblock'.  And yes I didn't know what I was doing but great fun all the same.  I think I'm a lot better now 😁.

2 hours ago, Zloba said:

Well  some of them will take German uniforms and play the role of the opposing force during the next drill in the evening. I have a feeling, that just a tea will not be enough. They better find some schnapps

Haha. As any Devonian will tell you a Devon Cream Tea is not "just a tea". In the meantime I look forward to your next installment.

Roadblock? Hm .. i think it's the mission available in the demo (?). I remember it said something about training mission in the full game. If it's part of the advanced training campaing i will sure play it. But first i need to finish the basic one (didn't had the time to start the 3rd mission yet).

Highly recommend 'The Road To Montebourg' campaign as a follow-up.....It's really atmospheric and the first mission is immensely intimidating (just as invading a hostile continent should be).  However the mission is eminently winnable so long as you have a plan and don't allow yourself to panic.  Once you've played it and won you will be a better infantry commander, guaranteed.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Thanks for the recommendation. ATM my plan is to finish both tutorial campaigns and then continue to learn the game in small bits. The Tactical Problems blog looks interesting and i also have some tiny to small scenarios in mind. I would like to learn to crawl, then walk and only after i know what i'm doing, start with the bigger, more complex campaigns that gives a whole bunch of companies to command, if you know what i mean 😉

That being said, i don't have a clue how big the campaign you recommend is. I will need to check it out for sure.

48 minutes ago, Zloba said:

That being said, i don't have a clue how big the campaign you recommend is. I will need to check it out for sure.

It is around 16 missions long. I'd learn the game in bite sized chunks at your own pace before diving into it. But when you do give it a go I'm sure it will be worth watching.