CMx2 North Africa?

I'm making some interesting reading about the North African Campaign this days with the Osprey books.I have always been fascinated for that theatre that has been covered in the CMx1.I wonder if it would be any chance for a CMx2 North Africa theatre covering the events from 1942 with Operation Crusader,Tobruk,El Alamein and not only Tunisia in 1943.

There are many interesting and challenging things: long range engagements,wide minefields,armoured tactics in big open scenarios.And,what's more,most of the job has already done.We have "tropical" german and CW troops from CMFI (Newzelanders,Australians,...)and Italian troops(with some vehicles).Many of the vehicles are already done( like panzers II, III and IV; we have Crusader tanks hull ,turret should be done) others would be brand new but modelled in old CMx1 games(Matildas,M3 Lee/Grants,...).

Why not?.

Certainly nothing wrong with the idea; I'd play the game.

This said, don't underestimate the amount of development work it takes to release a new game family; CMFI was able to borrow pretty heavily from CMBN and it still took a lot of work to get out the door. Going back to 1942 N.A. would be more work; there are actually some pretty substantial TOE and equipment changes that have to be modeled for the game to properly represent 1942 formations. Lots of new terrain as well.

Overall, I wouldn't expect a N.A. game anytime soon unless BFC changes its mind and decides to bump one of the other titles already on the "roadmap." It could happen; they've changed their minds before. But I wouldn't consider it particularly likely.

This is where it would be so great if we could use terrain from CMSF in a CM WW2 era game.

The thing is, the terrain over which the campaign was fought was highly varied, ranging from rugged—even steep—rocky ground to level firm ground covered with gravel to sandy. Some areas, such as the northern parts of Algeria and Tunisia were under cultivation and green, whereas further inland could be dry desert wastes. The Libyan Plateau could be dry and dusty for most of the year and muddy during the winter rains, followed by a brief flowering of desert plants. All this could make for a very interesting game if BFC decided to tackle it and managed to get it all together, but let's not underestimate the amount of work involved to do it right.

Michael

Agreed. Everything is a lot of work. Nonetheless, there is a demand for NA in the same way as a demand for Bulge. I believe Bulge is planned (and I look forward to it). However, I don't see too many requests for it.

The issue with the current crop of CM2 WW2 series is that so much of it looks kinda the same with different uniforms, weapons and vehicles. It doesn't make a lot of difference (to me) which of the current CM2 WW2 titles I am playing. Bulge would be kinda like CMBN/CMFI in dense woods - the main difference is that it would be in winter.

NA would be as different as playing CMSF and it would be a huge change (and therefore refreshing).

In the past, Steve has expressed a marked dislike for the idea of going back to North Africa. I think I remember seeing that stance has softened a little, but as has been said, there's a lot of stuff in NA that's not in any of the x2 titles so far, so it would be a very large undertaking. Maybe as the German equipment for earlier years gets completed in the Eastern Front families, North Africa will become doable. Though there's a lot of Allied hardware that will need building, far more than was needed for FI...

Ditto, I too would prefer North Africa to Bulge - but I guess a lot of that is also due to the fact that I think the early war is more interesting - the differing tactical challenges from the equipment of the period cover a lot more ground.

I'd take France 1940 then. The desert holds little appeal.

I'd take France 1940 then. The desert holds little appeal.

Well, yes, obviously France 1940 is the Holy Grail. I was trying to be realistic about what I might get to see in the next couple of years... ;)

France 1940 > Barbarossa > North Africa / Kursk > Bulge would be my preferred sequence. :D

I'd certainly like a Kursk title at some point soon. Also a "Fall Blau" which actually covers May 1942 - March 1943 along the entire Russian Front. And yes, a Battlerfront Blitzkrieg, Battlefront Siegfried Line...

But these may be some ime. Why don't Battlefront run a poll on titles we want maybe a couple of times a year. Just a thought - it may indicate what their customer base wants. Maybe attach a grade from 1 (least interested) to 10 (Most interested)