Red Thunder worth the money?

Ive been playing the training campaign and making a couple slapped together scenarios and completely enjoying this game. Like someone said earlier, if you like CM and the eastern front, you'll probably like this game. Don't let all the fan girl replies scare you away, they're actually kinda cute in their own hairy, coarse, blunt way. ;0)

The reason I stopped going on facebook.

Oh ... and CMRT is totally worth it and so is my girlfriend...

(just in case she's checking up on me)

So, in the context of this thread, you just compared her to a computer game and said that she is totally worth the money you spend on her. I am not sure if you would want her to read that :D.

Well I am pretty wealthy and i could easily afford the game but I didnt get wealthy by wasting money on overpriced products. To me Combat Mission Shock Force was like a 2008 Toyota Prius, Combat Mission Red Thunder is like a 2008 Toyota Prius with red paint.

I mean I have been readin the forums and the suggestion demanded by the community to be implemented but nothing important seems to have come true:

- Are aircrafts visible?

- Do the soldier animation behave more natural and less clumsy?

- Is there any cinematography at all? Intro into a campaign? Descitpion of objectives by a narrator? And so on?

- Any updates about the special effects? Turrets and parts of vehicles flying of when destroyed? Buildings loosing pieces and parts when hit? Rain? Snow? Trees falling down and objects getting crushed when driven over by a tank?

- Are vehicles and soldiers individual? Various faces for each soldier? Different turretnumbers and amount of damage to individual vehicles?

- Are the maps living? Civilians? Birds? Animals? Real living rivers running across the landscape? The map is not a piece of "land" in the middle of a pointless universe?

- Is there a meaningfull campaign? Do you feel that the decisions you make affect the course of further campaigns? Can you decide what units shall take part in the next battle like in Close Combat? Is there any strategic aspect to it?

- Are the doctrines of the axis and the allied taken into account? Soviet soldier routing when loosing the leader? NKVD kommisars overwatching the battles? German forces applying their Blitzkrieg. Order 227?

- Is there any weathereffect? Rasputitsa? Do vehicles and soldier get restriced in movements? General Winter? Do the German soldier freeze to death? The german weapons fail to operate in low temperatures?

- Do vehicles operate in their intended role? Amphibious vehicles going through water? Mine clearing vehicles clearing minefields? Ambulances recovering the wounded? Ammunition and foodsupplies during very long battles?

It just doesnt feel there is any usefull substance added to Red Thunder. There is so much more to add to improve the game and make it more fun and impressive. Come on am i the only one complaining about the lack of substance?

Umm...friendly advice. You should pass as:

1. Many of the items you are asking for - and calling substance no less - others, myself included, would call eye candy that's nice to have but not terribly important or not important at all (Cinematography. (huh?***) Various faces for each soldier. Different turret numbers. Foodsupplies during very long battles)

2. Others are in the game - and are present in other CM modules (weather effects, realistic vehicle properties) and as you are not new to this family of games we are surprised that you do not know that.

***Cut scenes are console territory and you must know that BFG is a small company that does not have that kind of budget.

Well I am pretty wealthy and i could easily afford the game.

No, you are not, and no, you can't. How do I know this? Because you posted here complaining about the price.

Men, I think we need to start a CM "scholarship" program, for bright young men who show promise, but have limited means. I would be willing to contribute.

Nothing like this was ever offered to me, back in my Squad Leader days.

...It just doesnt feel there is any usefull substance added to Red Thunder. There is so much more to add to improve the game and make it more fun and impressive. Come on am i the only one complaining about the lack of substance?

You are being very judgmental from a position of having almost no information at all. And, your taste may be for much less realistic games (by that, I mean under the hood, not graphics).

Your best bet is to try the CMFI demo while waiting for the CMRT demo to come out. Here is the link:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2143&Itemid=318

The CMBN demo uses an older engine version, which is why I gave you the CMFI link. CMRT has some nice improvements over CMFI in its engine version.

Still, if you're only looking at eye candy, then you may not be able to understand things that have been improved in terms of what's happening on the battlefield and the tools you can use as a commander.

- Do vehicles operate in their intended role? Amphibious vehicles going through water? Mine clearing vehicles clearing minefields? Ambulances recovering the wounded? Ammunition and foodsupplies during very long battles?

Food Supplies during long battles. Always. Typically some crackers a good wedge of Jarlsberg cheese. And if it goes really long, a short break on the patio for a cigar, typically with ice tea not alcohol. You have to think clearly when you hold the lives of pixeltruppen under your mouse clicker.

One more thing... I wouldn't know anything about a Toyota Prius, I drive a Benz.

- Are vehicles and soldiers individual? Various faces for each soldier? Different turretnumbers and amount of damage to individual vehicles?

- Are the maps living? Civilians? Birds? Animals? Real living rivers running across the landscape? The map is not a piece of "land" in the middle of a pointless universe?

God I remember the 1st time I gunned down some civilians in Command and Conquer. That was sooo cool. I thought it would never get any better than that.

But it did get better. We got a red painted Toyota Prius driving around on a pointless universe.