Map pack sometime ?

Much as I'm looking forward to CMRT - it would be cool to have some new maps for CMBN (and CMFI for that matter). The ones that came with MG have noticeably better AI plans, but they aren't very French. Besides, sometimes I like to play the same sort of terrain (e.g. probe small rough) more than a few times.

Frey,

You could always go into the editor and change whatever aspects of the MG Map to give it a more Frenchy look ( ex, delete some buildings and add the Normans, delete Windmills )...This way, you can get the improved MG AI and have that Normandy/French look.

Frey,

You could always go into the editor and change whatever aspects of the MG Map to give it a more Frenchy look ( ex, delete some buildings and add the Normans, delete Windmills )...This way, you can get the improved MG AI and have that Normandy/French look.

I could bake my own bread too, but if someone's planning on selling something better for a few bucks I'd be happy to pay :)

Really, half the fun of the game is playing in the editor. People who don't tinker in the editor are mssing out. Playing the game you're making believe you're Patton, map making in the editor you're making believe you're God! Over the years I've created volcanoes, Himalayan peaks, islands, Texas shopping malls next to freeways, 2001 space odyssey monoliths, and a mountain chain in the form of a recumbent female nude with the various mission objectives appropriately named. ;)

I could bake my own bread too, but if someone's planning on selling something better for a few bucks I'd be happy to pay :)

Pretty sure they're not planning on any such sales... The problem with selling maps and scenarios is that they are freely redistributable and not protected by the DRM that covers the executables. While many of us would be prepared to pay, it only takes one entitled douche to unpack them onto a web site and kill the sales among those less dedicated to keeping BFC financially viable. Not to mention the furore amongst those who think BFC should provide even more for free than they do at the moment; they'd be so smug that Steve charged for something "anyone could make for free", and right or not, their opinions poison BFC's reputation in the market place.

Forget map packs - I'd pay decent bucks for more campaigns. While well served by community made scenarios it seems full campaigns are too much work for our community designers. Time for Battlefront to step into the breach!

Same thing applies. Too many ways to pirate the things for BFC to be sure enough of making enough money to make it worthwhile paying someone to spend the man-weeks of time it takes to make a good campaign.

Pretty sure they're not planning on any such sales... The problem with selling maps and scenarios is that they are freely redistributable and not protected by the DRM that covers the executables. While many of us would be prepared to pay, it only takes one entitled douche to unpack them onto a web site and kill the sales among those less dedicated to keeping BFC financially viable. Not to mention the furore amongst those who think BFC should provide even more for free than they do at the moment; they'd be so smug that Steve charged for something "anyone could make for free", and right or not, their opinions poison BFC's reputation in the market place.

I respectfully disagree. The Combat Mission series appeals to a niche market of dedicated enthusiasts, who recognize that Battlefront relies on their monetary support to stay in business. The people who would pirate the content and never pay for it would never have become paying customers to begin with. OTOH, there is a chance that some of them would discover the game, who might not otherwise have heard of it, and become paying customers.

I have heard testimony from several musicians who distribute their content free on the Internet. They just *ask* their fans for financial support, so they can keep making music, and they wind up making as much as they would if they went through a traditional distributor, with DRM restrictions, etc. The vast majority of people do have a very keen sense of fairness, and if you are giving them something of value, they are more than willing to give their financial support in return.

I have heard testimony from several musicians who distribute their content free on the Internet. They just *ask* their fans for financial support, so they can keep making music, and they wind up making as much as they would if they went through a traditional distributor, with DRM restrictions, etc. The vast majority of people do have a very keen sense of fairness, and if you are giving them something of value, they are more than willing to give their financial support in return.

Radiohead released an entire album this way and I happily payed 10 bucks for it. I wouldn't hesitate a second to pay good money for quality campaigns. Every time I download a mod, scenario or campaign that improves my gaming experience I feel spoiled not having/getting to pay for it.

In my humble opinion BF is leaving a lot of money on the table by not putting out more content for their game engines.

Forget map packs - I'd pay decent bucks for more campaigns. While well served by community made scenarios it seems full campaigns are too much work for our community designers. Time for Battlefront to step into the breach!

Me 2. I would pay really big bucks if they would implement real campaigns but sadly I know that ship has sailed long ago.

I respectfully disagree. The Combat Mission series appeals to a niche market of dedicated enthusiasts, who recognize that Battlefront relies on their monetary support to stay in business. The people who would pirate the content and never pay for it would never have become paying customers to begin with. OTOH, there is a chance that some of them would discover the game, who might not otherwise have heard of it, and become paying customers.

Have to agree with you - I've spent extra money with Battlefront over the years just to support a company that puts out product I love. I've bought the Anthology box set even though I owned all three original games. I also bought CMBB a third time by picking up a special edition version that contained an extra disk of mods - most of which I had already.

This may sound stupid but it's also the main reason I buy a physical copy along with the digital download - even though all my games are still in their original shrink wrap unopened.

In my humble opinion BF is leaving a lot of money on the table by not putting out more content for their game engines.

Have to agree - I'd pop the cash for any additional campaigns they had for sale without even having to think about it. Surly they could ask for a valid serial key before installing if illegal copying was an issue.

Problem for the community is there are very few player created campaigns. I see a need for official ones and a source of profit for Battlefront - I hope one day they step up to the plate and take my cash.

I believe the next thing up for CMBN (except for the 3.0 upgrade) is its first pack. As I understand it a pack will bring in new units and formations as well as scenarios (possibly campaigns) featuring these new units and formations. The maps for these scenarios could possibly work as QB maps as well.

Looking forward to knowing more about packs but I think we will have to wait a bit longer as after CMRT we have CMBS in line.

This concept really works but not in all cases, unfortunately. I'm not into BFC sales figures but I guess they can make out whether it will work for them. I am sure as hell one that would pay for a map pack, for whatever that matters ;)

And who knows they will be able to enforce some type of constraint in the missions which is only met if you bought the pack. IIRC they never said scenario/campaign oriented packs are a no go?

Count me in too - I know there has been a lot of discussion about this - it would be great that some of the community scenario and campaign makers got some recompense for their work too. I don't want to single anyone out in particular, but.... Paper Tiger has to get a very special mention - I think I've played through Road to Montebourg at least three times, got through quite a lot of the Scottish Corridor and gradually grew to love the British forces, and I am now restarting road to Nijmegen - days and days of pleasure (and a sprinkling of gnashing of teeth).