New guy signing in!

Greetings from Norway, gents!

Been playing CM for a little while now. My first experience with it were the original games, but I was younger back then and didn't quite grasp the finer aspect of war simulators.

My (short) military experience:

- Basic line infantry training in the Norwegian Army 2nd Battalion, focused on squad and buddy pair attack drills. 2BN is a mechanized inantry battalion, first unit to deploy CV9030 in combat, composing a combat group together with the Engineer bat.

- Battalion trustee for about 9-10 months. I missed being out in the field, but in this conscript position my colleague and I actually managed to reduce expenditures in two battalions, and we got unique insight in the day to day life and organization of battalion camp. Daily responsibilites consisted primarily of ensuring the health, environment and safety regulations of the entire conscripted force in the battalion (about 300-400 men). A desk job, to make it plain. What I remember as most satisfying and meaningful was taking up complaints by enlisted men and women and advocating them both up and down the ranks. I worked closely with two battalion commanders under my time, with my direct CO being the company staff officer.

- Since I missed field training, I signed up as a volunteer as a rifleman in the Norwegian Home Guard (task force). The skill of my task force was surprisingly high, and the task force rifle teams are expected to function as regular army rifle teams, with similar equipment. This was an excellent transition to civilian life, because of the focus on force and objective protection (which basically means a less aggressive modus operandi, while stille being able to perform attack maneuvers). Besides the excellent training both in forested areas and MOUT, I completed one live mission when Norway suffered a terrorist attack in 2011. Of further notice I have very limited training (no experience) as a squad leader.

- Rank of temporary lance corporal (private)

My military experience gives me a good basis for playing CM, and I've been enjoying CMBN, and CMSF especially. That's not to say I'm an elite player of any kind. I often lose, unfortunately because of "patience issues", and I've never played PBEM, something I'd like to try out, but I don't even know how.

Looking forward to CMRT and the new modern came that's been announced.

Just wanted to say hello before we start sharing experiences! I've been a lurker for some time :)

-Erik

Here is my military experience:

Played Army in the summers of 1974-1975 at the ages of 8 and 9.

Welcome

lol I too was in that Army during those same years ;) we seemed to do a lot of guard duty on bonfire night and attacking lots of orchards.

hi Rossmeister and welcome

I served as conscript in Austrias armed forces in 08. After an extensive 3 week basic training that mostly focused on such militarily import and fascinating topics as polishing boots, polishing toilets, polishing flagpoles, polishing dishes, reciting service regulations, saluting and standing to attention, i transfered to a terribly understrengh platoon of the 2nd operation supply squadron where i put all the things i had learned to good use. The base that i and my ~16 comrades had to take care of was in the process of beeing abandoned and the site supposed to be sold on the private market soon. After 6 months of polishing things and watching tank wrecks rust in dirt, i was promoted to PFC, awarded a medal (no joke!) and honourably discharged. It was a truely motivating experience.

My military experience:

Age 5, Pacific Theater. Played WWII U.S. vs. Japan in neighborhood front yards. Friend who was Japanese played as U.S. against me, who was the "dirty japs" according to my pal.

Similar, but probably 8. That was part of my learning experience about being sensitive to others. You see... the next door neighbor, who could see us in the front yard, was Japanese. Doh! So we played Cowboys and Indians since we had Native Americans around ;) Or generic "Army".

Some might find that form of play horrible. Now, of course, kids don't go outside and play anything. I don't think that's much of an improvement :(

Steve

I think I too started around the age of five. I recall that at that time we had just moved into a new neighborhood and my first meeting with the neighborhood kids involved me having a toy SMG with a drum magazine and one of those wheels inside that made sparks. I think we had about three games that we played all the time. One was cowboys, one was pirates, but our favorite was war. I don't recall that the enemy was the Japs very often; it was always against the Germans.

Good times.

Michael

Always great to greet a new member! Welcome!

Being raised out in the country we had acres and acres on which to reprise our own episodes of "Combat"; yep that old. I remember one Christmas my brother and I getting "walkie talkies" as presents; that really a enhanced our level of C2 in the squad.

Great memories!

Welcome aboard, Erik.

Since we're all talking about our military experience.....I was in a reserve MASH unit for nine years. Learned how to shoot an M16 pretty well in basic, then the rest of my 9 years were spent "drilling", which means lots of setting up and tearing down GP Medium and GP Large tents.

GP-Medium-16-32-army-surplus.jpg

^^^Set up *many* of these and spent many summer "camping" in these for two weeks, usually in someplace very hot and humid. Good times.

Chops -- did the same thing on Okinawa while my dad was stationed there in from 1965 - 1970. It's where my interest in WW2 really blossomed. Nothing like walking a battlefield to get a good perspective. Back then, my friends and I found a ton of shell casings, live ammo and other items. We then took the stuff to the Museum at Fort Sukiran -- now Camp Sukiran, I think -- and made a few bucks.

My military experience:

Age 5, Pacific Theater. Played WWII U.S. vs. Japan in neighborhood front yards. Friend who was Japanese played as U.S. against me, who was the "dirty japs" according to my pal.

Steve, have to agree with you. It's been decades since I've seen kids playing "war" or cowboy and Indians. Like you, for me it was "combat" outside with the Okinawans. I was 8 when we arrived in 1965. We all had a blast playing (no pun intended). I remember those days fondly!

Similar, but probably 8. That was part of my learning experience about being sensitive to others. You see... the next door neighbor, who could see us in the front yard, was Japanese. Doh! So we played Cowboys and Indians since we had Native Americans around ;) Or generic "Army".

Some might find that form of play horrible. Now, of course, kids don't go outside and play anything. I don't think that's much of an improvement :(

Steve

A welcome Erik from me too.

Although I'm somewhat "military lite" here amongst all these veterans.

My own military experience consists of 3 days in basic training camp and 3 months in Military Hospital faking insanity to gain my discharge. :D