WeGo TCP/IP - hurrrrah

Offshoot

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as you can add non steam games to their interface,i guess it doesnt matter whether its for sale there or not.

my main reason for using it is the interface/UI

as CM has no lobby,matchmaker or any other form of getting a game online,steam fills this role well.

i can see who is a CM player,who is logged on and who is actively looking for a game.

i also can use the screenshot features,which have free hosting of any screenies i care to take,videos can also be linked to the interface.

i get various PMs via steam about these screenshots ,asking what game it is.

if its a choice of NO lobby or steams version,its a no brainer for me.

my only real concern is the clunky TCP/IP hookup system,which is very hard for average players to work out and can be unreliable ,listing of multiple IPs in the game menu,is confusing for most.i would love to see this overhauled in the future to help people actually play the game instead of fighting routers to make a connection.

64 bits doesn't require any specific RAM amount. I have 64 bit OSes running on 2 GB machines, even a 512 MB one (it's an overclocking thing).

Having said that, you will need a bit more physical memory (because every pointer is twice the size now) in exchange for the larger physical address space. Plus in the windows world the OSes are a bit fatter than XP or 2000.

That's a bit of a problem because a lot of people have 6 bit capable machines that take DDR1 or DDR2, name AMD64s and later Pentium-4s. That's more expensive than DDR3. And DDR1 machine with unregistered RAM can't take more than 4 GB even if they have 4 slots.

Not as easy as it sounds and, therefore, not something we intend on doing.

I do understand people missing the replay function of TCP/IP WeGo. But we've been consistently saying since about 2007 that it's just not going to happen. For the same development effort we could do dozens of other BIG features people have been asking for. Since a small minority will ever use TCP/IP WeGo it simply isn't a good idea to squander so much of our limited resources on such a feature.

Steve

Pity......that being said - thank you for the WEGO option. Prefer that rather than screaming at my opponent to pause his side of the game :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this was answered earlier in this thread, but given that you will not be able to "replay" to action in wego TCP/IP, will it be possible to at least record the video so it can be viewed/re-viewed outside the game? I don't see any technical reason why that should be too hard. If the program can send the video action to the screen, it could send it to a data file just as easily.

Sorry if this was answered earlier in this thread, but given that you will not be able to "replay" to action in wego TCP/IP, will it be possible to at least record the video so it can be viewed/re-viewed outside the game? I don't see any technical reason why that should be too hard. If the program can send the video action to the screen, it could send it to a data file just as easily.

There are plenty of means to record the video. FRAPS is popular and cheap and seems to work well. The problem with video recording is that it fixes the viewpoint, making its utility limited, and since you've only got one "take" to get the video right, you're probably not going to construct a very interesting entertainment, and if you do, you're probably not going to be succeeding at the actual playing of the game. The demands of good videos don't necessarily permit broader situational awareness...

• 3 weeks later...

My son sent me an email, "Dad, the new East Front combat mission is out and it has WeGo TCP/IP". So I dash to the site credit card number in hand only to find it has WeGo TCP/IP, but no replay. The card went back in the drawer and the game remains unordered.

Seems a bit odd that as super fast internet gets rolled out my favourite game series still can't offer the same facility it did in the days of dial-up modems. Such is progress.

And the fact video files can become massive really quickly. On the Mac I use Quicktime to record full screen (27"). A few minutes can average a few hundred megabytes.

My SW:TOR storyline videos are about 2 gigs per minute :/ (with FRAPS)

That racks up pretty fast considering that each video I cut together is around 40-50 minutes long...

Luckily, once you render it through sony vegas pro or windows movie maker it goes down to around 4-5 gigs in total :)

So I make a 40-50 minute video and then I get rid of all the raw material so I can keep filming.

That, and I have a dedicated 1 Tb HD for just storing the raw videos on :)

awesome. after experiencing Turn based vs AI(CMBN) (vs human would be even more fun) i cant get back to Real time, only when i must (untill i buy v3.0 or RT)

and even better that we cant replay turn in my opinion. its enough you can issue orders for few minutes, its like luxury to me (coming from RT game/s)

So, I'm being sandbagged by you sluggards who are still running a 32 bit OS and have 4 gig of ram? Geez guys, join the 21st century!

Joking (kinda).

I7 3.5 GHz CPU, 16 gig ram, GeForce GTX 680 video card.

I know this isn't a flight sim forum, but time to pony up some $$ for a real computer so we can all go forward. We're all old, right? Did you guys work for a living, back in the day?

Here here!!... :D

this game mode it in fact pointless as it is, people dont care about it by now for obvious reasons and the new save feature was wasted time "in my eyes".

i know this is an old discussion, but if you want to bring tcpip to its former glory, get the darn replay in ;) thats all that is needed.

no hard feelings, i wait for propper tcpip wego with replay since cmsf came out with tcpip realtime play only. still holding that tcpip wego flag up, although no longer as aggressive as 7 years ago.

this game mode is best , replay button is just a secondary feature. platoon comanders couldnt replay action 10 times irl. having 1-5 minutes to plan action after watching combat in ''RT'' for 1 minute is all that is needed.you can play PBEM and finish 1 game after 1 year still if you want. Real time is good too but only Dexterious and very experienced players can manage it , up to medium sized battle

• 3 weeks later...