How close are we, Steve?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are also quite a few interesting operations to be covered, like Doppelkopf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Doppelkopf

which falls well into the time-frame of Bagration (and wasn't minor by any measure, involving GrossDeutchsland). And there are quite a few other counter attacks that can provide inspiration for scenarios.

And let's not forget that even if the time-frame is somewhat limited, the CMx2 scenario editor it's flexible enough to depict quite accurately nearby periods (you could totally model Korsun scenarios, if you have mud in the game, for example) or the fight in the Hungarian plain (no Hungarians, though). There are quite a few Lorraine or (early) Bulge scenarios made for CM:BfN, and they play quite well.

I am very much looking forward to George MC's scenarios covering the exploits in the Baltic of the Panzer Count :)

So let me see if I have this straight: You would be cool with Barbarossa when the Soviets were really beginning to suffer through a lack of [capable] men and equipment and got steamrolled by the German juggernaut?

;)

Michael

Nah just back to '43 would have been better for a german campaign. Maybe BF can do a retro module. :-)

YankeeDog is correct (for the most part) about why we chose Summer 1944 to be the first Eastern Front game. The best way to get games out to you guys sooner is to have each successive game leverage existing content and then add more content to the mix. Works a lot better than having to make all new content all at once. When we make Summer 1943 (the second Eastern Front Family) we'll have a decent amount of both German and Soviet stuff to work with before we start adding all the earlier stuff that isn't in the game yet.

The other reason is we're hoping to hook a few more non-Eastern Front grogs with Bagration than we would with something earlier. Familiarity helps people "get into" something. The German forces are familiar to anybody who has played CMBN and CMFI/Gustav Line, which means the non-Eastern Front player only has to figure out the Soviet stuff instead of everything.

That and non-Eastern Front gamers are probably more likely to buy a game with King Tigers in it than one that doesn't :D

Steve

The only thing a little disappointing for me about the news of this series is that it starts at Bagration when the Germans were really starting to suffer through a lack of men and equipment and got steamrolled by the Soviet juggernaut.

Now for my serious reply to this post. ;)

If you are worrying that CM games in this setting have to be unbalanced, don't. This is roughly the same time period when the Germans were getting steamrolled by the Allies in France. They started slower, but finished strong during August and early September. However, I would wager that most of the games in BN are reasonably balanced and players playing the German side can give a good accounting of themselves.

Kursk would have been a more interesting starting point, that said I'm sure I'll still buy it.

That is of course a matter of opinion and taste. That doesn't mean that it is wrong necessarily, just that it is possible to hold a variety of equally valid opinions on the subject. In any event, I wish you many years of happy gaming.

Michael

When we make Summer 1943 (the second Eastern Front Family)

Just referring to a previous statement mid last year about East Front...

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1456940&postcount=508

So the decision has been made to have multiple Game Families of East Front games? This is going to get difficult to organise all these CM programs on my hard drive in a few years time. :confused:

Will it ever be possible for multiple maps to be transferred between different game families? Just thinking ahead that this may make life a little bit easier for East Front Scenario designers where the front went back and forth over certain sites/cities etc.

bodkin,

Things aren't as cut and dried as you seem to think. For example, if you read the excellent book Penalty Strike about a man who rose to be a company commander in an Independent Penal Battalion made of disgraced officers, you'll find that while the Russians may've been going through the Germans like a dose of purgative in the primary zone of Op Bagration, the situation was pretty grim elsewhere on the shoulders, as units fought hard and with very little ammunition, reduced manpower (full strength Penal Company was 200 men)--his was 25 men at one point--in vicious close quarters combat against a foe armed with lots of MG-42s and plentiful artillery and mortars.

The game is a toolkit of sorts. How you use it is another matter entirely.

Regards,

John Kettler

Will it ever be possible for multiple maps to be transferred between different game families? Just thinking ahead that this may make life a little bit easier for East Front Scenario designers where the front went back and forth over certain sites/cities etc.

That would be awesome. While I can see there being cases where this would be extremely difficult being able to move maps between families would be fantastic and quite useful for transferring things between the various eastern front games and possibly between CMBN and a future Buldge game.

Even if copy and paste could be made to work. Select an area of a map in the editor and paste it in another spot on the map or shut down the game and fire up another one and paste that previously selected area into a new map. Anything that could not come across cold be just be dropped.

That would be awesome. While I can see there being cases where this would be extremely difficult being able to move maps between families would be fantastic and quite useful for transferring things between the various eastern front games and possibly between CMBN and a future Buldge game.

Why do you want Battlefront to go out of business?

What do you think would make BFC go out of business? Copy and paste of map elements? Import/export of maps between families of games?

Well, it wouldn't be a positive for the bottom line. If it were a positive they already would've done it. It's not hard.

Every game/module they release offers new units, new battles and new maps/terrain. That's the sum of their appeal. Why not make all three components importable? I dig the maps from MG so I copy/paste them into base CMBN. That lowers my incentive to buy MG by X percent.

Well, it wouldn't be a positive for the bottom line. If it were a positive they already would've done it. It's not hard.

Every game/module they release offers new units, new battles and new maps/terrain. That's the sum of their appeal. Why not make all three components importable? I dig the maps from MG so I copy/paste them into base CMBN. That lowers my incentive to buy MG by X percent.

More than money it would require all UIs to be the same so that EF Stalingrad and CMSF 2 would both have Holland terrain and bridges. That would also tie up more UI space for every game unnecessarily. You'd then have to have the drop down options for Holland dates etc...it would be a really big mess unfortunately. Within the East front family of games that would seem to be more an option as the terrain aspects shouldn't vary that much. The exception being the first game- I would assume we will have Polish and German terrain/buildings at some point. 1941-1943 however should see relatively the same terrain (hopefully 1942 will focus on some additions to recreate Stalingrad).