What did patch 2.12 do?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had AVAST stop the file from downloading, fixed that by temporarily telling it to lay off.

After that the installs went fine, both btw were located on a drive other than C:\, so not sure why you'd see trouble getting it to update when/if the game was located on another drive, the updates for me have had no trouble locating my installation location.

Finally got it installed-I have to manually type in the correct path.

Seems like it loads pbem games a bit faster and it does seem a bit more responsive. I run it maxed out at 1650x1080.

I have an older Athlon quad core Phenon IIx4 955 processor, 8 gigs of ram and Radeon HD 5800 video card.

Does anyone play on a laptop? I hear it not really feasible. I'd looking at some quad core laptops with a dedicated video card-probably like to find one with 2 gig of dedicated video memory. I don't want to spend a fortune and would prefer something that isn't a heavy as a brick.

Not sure if what I'm looking for exists.

Does anyone play on a laptop? I hear it not really feasible. I'd looking at some quad core laptops with a dedicated video card-probably like to find one with 2 gig of dedicated video memory. I don't want to spend a fortune and would prefer something that isn't a heavy as a brick.

I play on a 3 (or 4? i don't remember) year-old Asus laptop, 15". I7 quad, 4 GB system RAM, Geforce GTX 260M with 1 GB of video memory. It does fine on improved/best.

Good that you mention. I went recently checking in shop for a desktop and the seller was like: "Why would you need that for?"

Good that you mention. I went recently checking in shop for a desktop and the seller was like: "Why would you need that for?"

Generational difference: I know what I want vs. I'll take what's offered.

Despite all the attempts, the desktop is still very healthy. The laptop/notebook/tablet is merely offering a cheaper option to those who don't need/want the power of a desktop. Or the inherent flexibility and longevity of the desktop.

Meanwhile, the .12 patches fix the floating MG34 and MG42 floaty bits bug. That's enough, isn't it? ;)

Ken

Does anyone play on a laptop? I hear it not really feasible.

Yes, works fantastic at FULL highest graphics settings, even on HUGE complex maps. I think a lot of the speed is the result of not having a regular hard drive, but rather 512Gb of SSDRAM instead ...

For those that want more techie info:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

Memory: 16 GB

Video Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Regards,

Doug

Despite all the attempts, the desktop is still very healthy. The laptop/notebook/tablet is merely offering a cheaper option to those who don't need/want the power of a desktop. Or the inherent flexibility and longevity of the desktop.

But is it really cheaper? Laptop components tend to break down so easily compared to desktop ones.

Now, someone cynical might suggest that this kind of controlled obsolescence is intended and that manufacturers aren't really all that concerned about engineering ways to manage heat with laptops. People seem to be accustomed to the idea that when you buy a laptop it will crap out just after warranty ends and then it's time to buy a new one. ;)

It's not like people seem to mind that Apple shafts them by integrating the battery into the device forcing you to replace the entire device when the battery life cycle ends.

It's not like people seem to mind that Apple shafts them by integrating the battery into the device forcing you to replace the entire device when the battery life cycle ends.

There are any of a number of companies (including Apple itself) that will change an iPhone/iPad/Mac Laptop battery for you. Here in NYC, I can drop off a Mac Laptop at the Apple Store, or Datavision or any of a number of similar stores, and pick it up a few hours later with a completely fresh battery installed. There are mail-order services that turn around in a few days as well.

It is true that this is more expensive than just buying a new battery and dropping it in yourself because you have to pay for the labor, but it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a completely new device.

Yes, works fantastic at FULL highest graphics settings, even on HUGE complex maps. I think a lot of the speed is the result of not having a regular hard drive, but rather 512Gb of SSDRAM instead ...

For those that want more techie info:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

Memory: 16 GB

Video Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Regards,

Doug

Believe it or not, your SSD probably makes very little difference in the speed CM loads. When I went from a regular 7200 rpm drive to an SSD a year or so ago, I saw very little difference in load speeds of CM battles, though I did see a large difference in other games and in boot times.

Too bad my SSD (Intel brand) died a few months after installing it. It's the only time I've ever had a hard drive go bad since the 1980s. Went straight to Best Buy and picked up a 2TB 7200 rpm drive for $100ish. It may be a while before I buy another SSD.

The reason you are having good results with CM is because of the I7 processor and the Nvidia 650, which is still a decent mid range video card.

I recently upgraded my desktop to an I7 3.5 GHz and an Nvidia 680 and saw a substantial improvement in CM load times and less sluggishness in larger battles VS my old Core2Quad 2.8 GHz CPU and Radeon (forget which one, not top of the line) video card.

from the release of the game have the same problem (I changed the drivers for the new, old, format the system - nothing helps)

ps. "BF" are masters of communication - and enough to write a few sentences what the patch changes.

We updated the patch notes. That they didn't get into the PC version of the patch is an oversight. Please don't start bashing BFC.

As for the fog bug you're describing, as I mentioned above it's a rather complex one to fix, but we're working on it.

There are any of a number of companies (including Apple itself) that will change an iPhone/iPad/Mac Laptop battery for you. Here in NYC, I can drop off a Mac Laptop at the Apple Store, or Datavision or any of a number of similar stores, and pick it up a few hours later with a completely fresh battery installed. There are mail-order services that turn around in a few days as well.

It is true that this is more expensive than just buying a new battery and dropping it in yourself because you have to pay for the labor, but it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a completely new device.

Well that's good to hear. Things were a bit different some time ago when I had my go at Apple stuff.

It's rarely a good idea to act on outdated intel, especially when it comes to tech. :o:D

Good luck, Phil. Especially when CM gets around to the Huertgen Forest:

bth_Foggy_Forest2.jpg

screenshot

Speaking of the upcoming Huertgen, I'm requesting a new feature, or rather, a limitation. I'm reading an account of this miserable campaign (fun factor: probably low) and a major headache- on both sides- was deploying mortars under the heavy forest canopy. It was not uncommon to preemptively bombard scattered clearings in which these weapons were likely to set up. Therefore, I propose the restriction that mortars should be prohibited in deploying in Heavy Forest tiles.

dYes. I play everything on my MacBook Pro. Which btw is almost 2 yrs old and the battery is still at 98% total capacity. Longer than the removable batteries ever lasted. Usually had to by a new one of those at 366 days.

MacBook Pro, late 2011

2.4GHz core i7 - 4 cores

16GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6770M - 1GB

750GB hard drive

I should note that I need this computer for my research work but it runs CM just great. No problems at all. I can run any map at the highest graphics settings.