Good CFMI GL review

Hah! A guy who claims to suck at the game completed the 'notorious' scenario in just twenty minutes! I think we've all been shamed. :D

He did "know how it should be done" before beginning and knew exactly where all the enemy were (til he drove them out of their roost :) ). Different to playing it blind.

The only way I buy this and other like Strategy war games is when one has the ability to try and try again the same battle -losing naturally ----and then use "Cease Fire" and "AAR Reports" -stats and MAP to LOCATE WHERE ENEMY UNITS etc. WERE LOCATED. THIS WAY I HAVE SPECIFIC INTELLIGENCE and I print a map of AAR map review--- FOR MY NEXT try to win this same battle. I consider this to have good intelligence-the AI seems to have also.-------In any event without this --I probably would still be playing my first battle over and over again until I quit in frustration--I don't think the developers etc. would be happy if droves of ordinary gamers couldn't do what we do to get enjoyment out of their GREAT games and stopped buying new MODS and games coming down the pipeline due to feelings of failure and frustration ? One man's opinion only Thank you

I do not believe that the AI has any specific knowledge about my units' location / condition / intention.

I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

I don't think you're wrong, either. If the AI seems to know where you are, then the AI plan designer has just done a good job of anticipating your moves.

Edit: actually, that could mean that the AI has, to an extent, better knowledge than the player, since the AI plan writer had intimate knowledge of at least the player's force composition, and sometimes its initial locations (if there's no freedom of setup). Still, once a turn or two have elapsed, the accuracy of that information starts to degrade.

ss1195: it strikes me that you might do better just taking your lumps and learning more general lessons of how to play the game better rather than concentrating on how to beat "the current scenario". Just a thought, but wouldn't it be nice to eventually get to a point where you can beat the AI without restarting?

I don't think you're wrong, either. If the AI seems to know where you are, then the AI plan designer has just done a good job of anticipating your moves.

Edit: actually, that could mean that the AI has, to an extent, better knowledge than the player, since the AI plan writer had intimate knowledge of at least the player's force composition, and sometimes its initial locations (if there's no freedom of setup). Still, once a turn or two have elapsed, the accuracy of that information starts to degrade.

ss1195: it strikes me that you might do better just taking your lumps and learning more general lessons of how to play the game better rather than concentrating on how to beat "the current scenario". Just a thought, but wouldn't it be nice to eventually get to a point where you can beat the AI without restarting?

Yes, you are correct. The AI is basically fighting blind and the designer is just guessing where the player will be at any specific point in time. The bigger the map is and the longer the scenario lasts the more difficult it is to know where the player will be. So if the AI seems to always be in the right place at the right time, then the player is playing the scenario the way the designer predicted that it would play out. Once the player knocks any of the AI gears out of place or does something unexpected the wheels will generally come off the AI plan.

The only way I buy this and other like Strategy war games is when one has the ability to try and try again the same battle -losing naturally ----and then use "Cease Fire" and "AAR Reports" -stats and MAP to LOCATE WHERE ENEMY UNITS etc. WERE LOCATED. THIS WAY I HAVE SPECIFIC INTELLIGENCE and I print a map of AAR map review--- FOR MY NEXT try to win this same battle. I consider this to have good intelligence-the AI seems to have also.-------In any event without this --I probably would still be playing my first battle over and over again until I quit in frustration--I don't think the developers etc. would be happy if droves of ordinary gamers couldn't do what we do to get enjoyment out of their GREAT games and stopped buying new MODS and games coming down the pipeline due to feelings of failure and frustration ? One man's opinion only Thank you

You can always play a scenario in Scenario Author Test Mode if you want to. There is absolutely no fog of war for you when playing in that mode so all units are on the map at all times. The Tac AI still has fog of war though. That's not the way I would play it, but if you need to do it in order to get the hang of it, the option is there.

He was playing at basic training level. I had to check to see what that was. I found the following.

Friendly units are always spotted.

The normal command and control related spotting rules do not apply. Instead, spotting information is instantly shared among all units on each side (aka “Borg Spotting”)

Troops suffer slightly fewer casualties and are less likely to panic.

Buddy aid is very fast.

Artillery and air support arrive very quickly.

Enemy units, once spotted, are always fully identified.

The life/death status of enemy vehicles is displayed immediately.

Enemy weapons and suppression are displayed.

The player can hear the voices of unspotted enemies.

Basic Training mode. Not that hard really.

I thought the general consensus was that the different difficulty levels didn't really do much to make the game easier or harder? :confused:

That aside, and perhaps I'm biased :D , but I thought he did an excellent job of explaining the game, what his plan was, and what he was doing to implement his plan. I also thought the way he used his assets was pretty sound. Good work, both in the battle and the video.

Hello all! I had no idea you folks would ever see my video. It makes me rather nervous as I'am very new to the wargame scene and really I'am a complete novice. That footage was one of three succesfull attempts using those tactics (the timing is very difficult to manage) in probably about ten overall attempts (ask my girlfriend, she had to deal with the frustrated umming and urghing). I was also playing in the basic training mode, I had no idea what this did but as I was making a video and knew I sucked at the game I felt it a wise choice.

That being said, thanks for the positive comments I hope to continue making videos as I (hopefully) improve and learn.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RetepTheEyeCandy

Welcome aboard, PeterH.

I can relate to "Please fire your weapon now. Now would be good." (although the calm way you deal with the frustration is alien to me - I tend to bash the keyboard and sulk.) If you're talking to your pixeltruppen, you're in the game and well on your way. Real-time too, good stuff. Thanks.

I thought the general consensus was that the different difficulty levels didn't really do much to make the game easier or harder? :confused:

Basic Training is probably the exception to that, mostly due to the "less casualties and less likely to panic" line. The other 4? Yeah, not a great deal of difference.

Edit: Oh yes, that's all without considering the additional FoW stuff GL introduced. That will increase the difficulty differences between the levels, I guess, but have no experience with it.

That aside, and perhaps I'm biased :D , but I thought he did an excellent job of explaining the game, what his plan was, and what he was doing to implement his plan. I also thought the way he used his assets was pretty sound. Good work, both in the battle and the video.

Yerp.

Welcome aboard, PeterH.

I can relate to "Please fire your weapon now. Now would be good." (although the calm way you deal with the frustration is alien to me - I tend to bash the keyboard and sulk.) If you're talking to your pixeltruppen, you're in the game and well on your way...

So true. So, so true. Of course, what PeterH is well on his way to is years of shouting at his screen in frustration, ignoring his nearest and dearest for hours and hours and going to bed very late with consequent sleep deprivation effects the next day. But CM is a great hobby.

I agree with JonS. Mode doesnt make the game easier or harder to do the basics, it just takes away information doesnt it?

Anyway i also agree with JonS's comments, I very much liked the way it was done. Nice to see someone new doing something positive. We should be encouraging new guys in any way we can.

I think I'am going to like it here. All the comments are contributing in some way, there is a distinct absense of insulting behaviour or radical opinion and you all seem very nice!

Could this be the result of a game aimed at folk who like an intellectual challenge rather than pretty stuff to look at and or disembowel?

I don't mean to be mean in any way, its just so far this is a very far cry from what I'm used to in a gaming forum.

If you have any suggestions or criticisms please let me know, I love making videos and writing the blog so any improvements would be very welcome.

I agree with JonS. Mode doesnt make the game easier or harder to do the basics, it just takes away information doesnt it?

Reducing casualties and toning down Panics is more than just taking away information. What z1812 posted is a direct copy of the manual entry for Basic Training. I hate to think of the carnage you'd suffer from zerg rushing that room with a platoon on other difficulty settings without getting some suppression on the FJs first.

I think I'am going to like it here. All the comments are contributing in some way, there is a distinct absense of insulting behaviour or radical opinion and you all seem very nice!

This is one of those very rare places on teh Intarchoobs where trolls are mostly an endangered species, due to having been hunted down and shot.

^^^ and this is part of the reason why BFC's design choices resonate with so many players. ss11955's preferred method of play is supported by the CM games. Is it my style? Well, that doesn't matter a whit, does it? More power to you, ss11955.

Hello all! I had no idea you folks would ever see my video. It makes me rather nervous as I'am very new to the wargame scene and really I'am a complete novice. That footage was one of three succesfull attempts using those tactics (the timing is very difficult to manage) in probably about ten overall attempts (ask my girlfriend, she had to deal with the frustrated umming and urghing). I was also playing in the basic training mode, I had no idea what this did but as I was making a video and knew I sucked at the game I felt it a wise choice.

That being said, thanks for the positive comments I hope to continue making videos as I (hopefully) improve and learn.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RetepTheEyeCandy

Welcome aboard. Now get back to it and make more videos. ;)

Ken