Good CFMI GL review

I think I'am going to like it here. All the comments are contributing in some way, there is a distinct absense of insulting behaviour or radical opinion and you all seem very nice!

Could this be the result of a game aimed at folk who like an intellectual challenge rather than pretty stuff to look at and or disembowel?

I don't mean to be mean in any way, its just so far this is a very far cry from what I'm used to in a gaming forum.

Welcome to the forum, Mr. H..

The fellows who post here tend, on the whole, to be a good bit older than is probably the norm on a game forum. This means they are also a bit politer than you may be used to; bad language is rarely seen and even most insults are thoughtful and commonly funny. However, some of the chaps are now so old that they can be a bit cranky at times and get forgetful, so you might need to be patient sometimes. Just stay away from any thread that contains the word "Peng" in its header and you should be OK.

^^^ and this is part of the reason why BFC's design choices resonate with so many players. ss11955's preferred method of play is supported by the CM games. Is it my style? Well, that doesn't matter a whit, does it? More power to you, ss11955.

c3k---Thank you. I've loved playing war games since I was a kid growing up during WW2 years. I used Pepsi Cola bottle caps as soldiers ,bought lead toy battleships for imaginary battles -had a commodore 64 PC for first "modern'' excursion into war games play. Now have a beast (to me at least) of a Cyberpower PC. Without doing what I do I would have been out of PC wargaming long ago . Excuse the rambling but felt compelled to say this in defense of players like myself .

I think I'am going to like it here. All the comments are contributing in some way

If you have any suggestions or criticisms please let me know, I love making videos and writing the blog so any improvements would be very welcome.

Here is one tip for you. Dont rush three squads into a building all together like you did in the video. Think real world there, buddy. That is a good way to get many men killed. Just one grenade and if at the wrong time, you will be losing more men than the few enemy units you were taking out. Think proper spacing.

Pin the enemy with fire anyway you can , then send one assault team in to finish the job, if they get pinned or killed. then send the next.

It always comes down to creating a situation where you have more firepower than the enemy. Which you did. but if it is all located in one spot as you had it. it only takes one good burst of fire or one explosion for you to find most of your men pinned and the enemy now having the advantage and he has a much sweeter target than you ever had and if it is a real player instead of the AI. He will try and make sure to finish the Job.

Hope you stick with it, you might be able to flex that brain area of yours instead of wasting your time on the simplistic skills needed in most other gaming.

I think I'am going to like it here. All the comments are contributing in some way, there is a distinct absense of insulting behaviour or radical opinion and you all seem very nice!

Could this be the result of a game aimed at folk who like an intellectual challenge rather than pretty stuff to look at and or disembowel?

I don't mean to be mean in any way, its just so far this is a very far cry from what I'm used to in a gaming forum.

If you have any suggestions or criticisms please let me know, I love making videos and writing the blog so any improvements would be very welcome.

Welcome..pump up the difficulty..play at Elite as it's the best way to learn to be honest..plus you wont be bringing over bad habits.

Try and play against someone who can show you the ropes during the game..HOWEVER if you intend to mainly play against the AI I'd say don't play any games against someone else..what you don't know your missing you don't miss. DON'T bother with QB against the AI play a user or a scenario\campaign thats designed to play against the AI.

Happy Hunting

Welcome..pump up the difficulty..play at Elite as it's the best way to learn to be honest..plus you wont be bringing over bad habits.

Try and play against someone who can show you the ropes during the game..HOWEVER if you intend to mainly play against the AI I'd say don't play any games against someone else..what you don't know your missing you don't miss. DON'T bother with QB against the AI play a user or a scenario\campaign thats designed to play against the AI.

Happy Hunting

If one was to find an opponent, where should he look? I much prefer playing with and or against people than an AI.

DON'T bother with QB against the AI...

QB against the AI has its place, namely: live fire drill to figure out the way the game handles what you tell it to, and how to interpret what it's showing you. Limited, for sure, but still useful to have under your belt before you "waste" a blind go at a scenario or campaign because the game didn't work the way you thought it should.

If one was to find an opponent, where should he look? I much prefer playing with and or against people than an AI.

Well people sometimes post here asking for a game. I think, however that most people play with a club or a ladder. I am on The Blitz as A Canadian Cat. I chose them because they keep track of the elo score (similar to chess ranking) which helps find an opponent that is a good match to your skill level.

There is also We Band of Brothers and The Few Good Men which are popular here as well.

Forgive me if I missed it, but I've tried before as well and I just can't find anything on We Band of Brothers that has anything to do with CMBN or CMFI-GL. It appears to only cater to CMx1. What am I missing?

Oh, that could be my mistake. I looked at it at one point but did not actually sign up. I was trying to include alternatives instead of just the one I use. I was sure I saw them mentioned by others on the forum. My bad if they don't actually have CM listed. Anyone who is a member care to chime in?

There is also We Band of Brothers

Forgive me if I missed it, but I've tried before as well and I just can't find anything on We Band of Brothers that has anything to do with CMBN or CMFI-GL. It appears to only cater to CMx1. What am I missing?

You're not missing anything, the web page is just ... uh ... not been updated for a while.

CM2 is definitely alive and well at WeBoB and I'm pretty sure has overtaken CM1 in numbers of games played.

Its a pity but I'm not sure about how much the majority of my friends would enjoy this. Don't get me wrong, I like playing with them but it can sometimes feel like playing with folk suffering from ADHD.

I'm just going to make a post and ask everyone to be gentle.

Its a pity but I'm not sure about how much the majority of my friends would enjoy this. Don't get me wrong, I like playing with them but it can sometimes feel like playing with folk suffering from ADHD.

I'm just going to make a post and ask everyone to be gentle.

Yea same here, most of my friends prefer COH or MOWAS to Combat Mission as they can handle the game so they rage quit.

You could also pester one of your friends into buying the game, then play against him.

I've been pestering all my friends since CMSF came out (thought CMx1 a little to hardcore to even bother)...... hours spent pestering over quite a few friends and no ones bought it yet lol.... I think my persuasive skills could use some work. I've got a friend coming over now who likes to play it, but he hasn't bought it yet.

PeterH, Great vid! I'm glad you made it to the forum! I hear a lot of great things about those gaming groups but this forum is a great place to find people too. I posted on here not that long ago looking for one or more battle partners and got a few really nice offers. I ended up playing a bunch of great real time matches with one guy, which kind of sucked up my CM time so that I didn't start any PBEM games with the other guys and I guess kind of left them hanging (sorry about that). So my point is you'll probably get some offers here if you try and you might need more than one to find a good match for you but it was easy in my case and probably will/would be for you too. I actually need a CMFI/GL real time opponent if you want to battle me.