Gustav Line

A few questions about the dforthcoming |Gustav Line module which I hope to see available in the very near future (hint hint :D )

1 Will the British include options for the Indan Divisions, Canadians, Polish and South Africans? Free French would be nice at some point including their Morroccan units

2 Would it be possible to slightly extend the end datr to the end of June or into July to allow for the pursuit to the Arno and the associatedGerman reargaurdactions such as Lake Trasimene End date might be the end of July as the Allies approach the Gothic Line

Canadians and Polish will be included along with the Brits. For the rest, there is a desire by Battlefront to include them in future "Battlepacks". Battlepacks are like modules but rather than concentrating on a theme, can include whatever Battlefront wishes. Again there is also a desire to include a Battlepack to extend the game to the end of the war but there is NO guarantee if it will occur. I would, however, guess it is way too late to extend the end date of Gustav Line even slightly at this point in the development process.

1 Will the British include options for the Indan Divisions, Canadians, Polish and South Africans? Free French would be nice at some point including their Morroccan units

We'll have the British, Polish, Canadians, and New Zealand in this module. Indians, Free French, South Africans, Brazil, etc are excellent candidates for future Packs for Gustav Line.

2 Would it be possible to slightly extend the end datr to the end of June or into July to allow for the pursuit to the Arno and the associatedGerman reargaurdactions such as Lake Trasimene End date might be the end of July as the Allies approach the Gothic Line

The editor date in-game ends at the beginning of June, 1944. We had to do this for TO&E reasons, because a lot of formations and equipment start changing in June in Italy. We are far too late in the development cycle to change this, in fact the date is one of the first things set in stone because much is dependent on the available dates.

I think we've had a FIv1.01 patch, soon after FI hit. Isn't GL going to take it to FIv1.1, equivalent to BN 2.01?

I really wish BFC would conceive and adopt a consistent numbering scheme. Who cares if CMFI starts at 2.0? It'd be much easier to explain than the current schema.

The new "war movie shading" toggle (pict 5/54) is the coolest thing you could hope to see! :D People have been debating the merits of 'real world' coloring versus 'war movie' coloring ever since CMSF came out in 2007. So they've provided us with both!

Is that what it does: turns everything a Saving Private Ryan-like sepia tone? I prefer realistic, but I'm sure Erwin will love the brownness ;)

Will a bundle of CMFI+GL be available from the outset or will it come later?

Nevermind, found this post from Moon

Yes, there will be, after release. We are not offering it for preorder for technical reasons, because obviously CMFI is available for download right away, but the module isn't.

Martin

Thanks

The new "war movie shading" toggle (pict 5/54) is the coolest thing you could hope to see!

Really? Aside from looking overexposed, I couldn't see anything different. What am I missing? It doesn't look like anything I'd want to use, so I'm having a hard time justifying the effort that went into producing it.

Michael

The 'war movie look' has become such a common trope that a proportion of players actually get upset if the coloration looks too 'real worldy'. They don't want reality, they want what they've been conditioned by the movies to want! :)

Neither of those images is "reality". The re-enactor image is a camera capture, just as the BoB image is.

Cameras (of any type) don't faithfully capture reality at all; they distill a 3D world into a 2D image. If done well, a photographic/cinematographic image can convey a sense of a certain historical moment, but it does not capture that moment in any forensic sense.

A great photographer I know told me "A great photograph is a lie that exposes a greater truth." He was speaking about still images, but I think the same holds true of cinematography, and, by extension, video game animation.

So get over it. Seeking "Reality" in 2D images projected onto a screen, be they moving or not, is a fruitless chase.

Now, a certain style of photography/cinematography may give you what you feel is a better impression of a certain reality that you think, once upon a time, may have existed, but this is a very different issue...