Remember when CMAK was released?

Remember the first time you played the Italians and the unidentified unit marker appeared :eek:. That goofy "fasces". I know I let out a loud "WTF is that!?" :confused:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Italy-Royal-Airforce_flank_roundel.svg

As I remember it I got CMBB and thought it was the best game ever and then I waited eagerly for CMAK and thought it was even better. Eventually I bought the first CM, but by then I was playing Operation Flashpoint (the original..essentially ARMA 0) mostly.

So CMAK: clear and fond memories of the Grant Tank. Not much else, oddly enough.

So CMAK: clear and fond memories of the Grant Tank.

I have a bitter memory of the Grant tank, consisting mainly of the fact that I could not target the 37 mm and 75 mm individually. I do hope that if it and other multi-turreted AFVs make it into the game again that limitation will be lifted.

Michael

That goofy "fasces".

The funny thing is, the US Senate chamber that we see shots of all the time on TV? What is on either side of podium against the back wall? Fasces! Big giant whopping huge fasces flanking the podium on either side! Indistinguishable from the Italian, though probably predating Mussolini by a century or so. :D

What happened to the southern theater being for suckers because it doesn't sell?

Good Question. Sicily is pretty dramatic. As usual I'm more interested in seeing what the Eastern Front will look like, though of course Alfred Schlemm's Luftwaffe infantry corps managed to get bounced out of both Nevel on the Eastern Front and various places in Italy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Schlemm

I have a bitter memory of the Grant tank, consisting mainly of the fact that I could not target the 37 mm and 75 mm individually. I do hope that if it and other multi-turreted AFVs make it into the game again that limitation will be lifted.

Michael

I was happy to see the tank at all. I may have never noticed its targetting problems.

Good Question. Sicily is pretty dramatic. As usual I'm more interested in seeing what the Eastern Front will look like, though of course Alfred Schlemm's Luftwaffe infantry corps managed to get bounced out of both Nevel on the Eastern Front and various places in Italy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Schlemm

My remark was about what BFC said about CMAK when we praised CMAK as a cool game and they didn't agree.

My remark was about what BFC said about CMAK when we praised CMAK as a cool game and they didn't agree.

Who cares? They made this new game didn't they? So, instead of being happy you have a new game to play you are gonna fish for Steve reactions?

Slow day now that the Gamesquad forum is dead?

Mord.

Slow day now that the Gamesquad forum is dead?

Mord.

Gamesquad: A forum composed of grown men dedicated to slagging off on a computer wargame and its creators. Starring M. Dorosh as Voldemort. Where comments range from dismissive to contemptuous and the (rare) supporters get buried under 'fanboi' debris.

A most curious phenomenon. Why do they bother?

Not being privy to the internal discussions at BF as to why they chose Italy I am not so sure it reflects a change in BF's opinion.

Here is a theoretical conversation.

Charles: Okay so Version 2 looks like it is about ready for prime time, what say we release it for CM: Market Garden

Steve: Are you crazy? We'd have to redo all the art work AND release it as an upgrade which we are going to have to charge for to cover our costs and you know how well that will go over with this crowd. They might have to fore-go some of those potato chips they are stuffing down their gobs as they sit on the couch playing this stuff day after day.

Charles:Okay How about maybe jumping to the East Front

Steve:Even crazier. Those fanatics will go berserk if we don't have fire, tank riders and commissar units ready on day 1.

Charles:Okay what do you want to do then?

Steve:Aw hell let's do Italy. I could care less about that front anyway and some wad from Gamesquad can get his rocks off flaunting that.

In short- this games for you. Don't forget to say thanks.

What happened to the southern theater being for suckers because it doesn't sell?

Now that they have achieved the ability to (apparently) put out a whole new game in less than a year presumably each game costs less to produce so they can be a little less picky. Also, they may have figured out that we are suckers.

Well I for one *am* a sucker - for the Mediterranean theater :)

I was honestly curious why it is now considered attractive for a commercial game.

Maybe it just a cheap way to develop 1943 vehicles for later reuse in a Kursk game. Grants ftw.

Definitely a positive spin and I would love 1943 Eastern Front.

I think it is a simple fact that they are presently focused on years 44-45.

They have most of the work done in a sence with the Americans , Brits and Germans, that they just add Italy, do the changes to the other country units and they could kick it out. So even if it does not sell well, not a problem. it shows us they might be able to do much more than we expect once they really get rollin.

Plus Italy needed tackled at some point to add to some of them futher Russian games.

So I think it just came down to the fact that it fell in the time frame of that late part of the war as to why we are seeing it.

No, it was not a decision that they thought this would sell great volumns of games, but we are a odd group and I bet most serious players will buy it becase we love the unusual match ups, even if unbalenced. Just another challenge to face when trying to fight with a army that has weakneses. but can you still lead them to victories.

I was honestly curious why it is now considered attractive for a commercial game.

Sometimes, people are capable of changing their minds about things they said/did and the past. Let's just be grateful that BFC have changed their minds here and not try to score points off them for doing so. ;)

So even if it does not sell well, not a problem. it shows us they might be able to do much more than we expect once they really get rollin.

I think you might be close to something here. Perhaps with the new engine, development time has been cut so short that they can afford to bring out games that appeal to narrower niches in the market. Anyway, it's an interesting thought.

Michael

I think you might be close to something here. Perhaps with the new engine, development time has been cut so short that they can afford to bring out games that appeal to narrower niches in the market. Anyway, it's an interesting thought.

Michael

There's a niche narrower than us?

Just another challenge to face when trying to fight with a army that has weakneses. but can you still lead them to victories.

For some perhaps. I will more likely be leading them to crushing defeats. Singing.

... Perhaps with the new engine, development time has been cut so short that they can afford to bring out games that appeal to narrower niches in the market.

So the nuttier ones amongst us can still hope for a Battle of France module ? Hey, the R35 is done ;)

For some perhaps. I will more likely be leading them to crushing defeats. Singing.

So the nuttier ones amongst us can still hope for a Battle of France module ? Hey, the R35 is done ;)

I dunno but I expect the niche for Italy is smaller than the niche for an early war Battle of France game. Considering they will have the terrain/maps done for Holland with the MG module and the Ardennes for the Bulge module, it doesn't seem far fetched at all to think they could pull together a CM-Fall of France game. I wrote my note to Santa and am still hopeful.