AAR-AXIS - Clearing the Niscemi Highway

The Forty Second Minute - Part 2

Sadly, the Pz-III I had posted on the Hill objective was targeted and hit repeatedly by ND's Sherman that was panzer hunting on my right. ND, YOU BASTARD!!!

7986740788_f88c41b413_b.jpg

You think that was sad? Well.. look at this. I successfully get one of my Pz-IV's into veeery short range with a shot into its flank... and wouldn't you know it.. the SOB fires high!

I've seen more tanks miss in this particular scenario then I ever have before. Amazing.

What I did find very interesting here... is that my tank which was on fast orders, actually stopped to fire this round... could be why it missed.

7986740744_84a0995c8c_b.jpg

At the end of the turn my tank is frantically reloading while ND's Sherman is rotating his turret! OH SH*T!!! REVERSE!!! REVERSE DAMMIT!!!

7986732667_cb23a3967c_b.jpg

I'd think a trained crew could load and fire a second round before the M4, fast traverse is one thing, but you have to slow to fine tune the graticule on to the target. On the other hand the P IV gunner just has to crank the elevation wheel down a fraction.

You say about tanks missing, does that comment only apply to your crews? M4's and TD's seem to be dead-eye dicks in this game.

You say about tanks missing, does that comment only apply to your crews? M4's and TD's seem to be dead-eye dicks in this game.

I've seen both sides miss in this scenario. The misses do seem to effect my vehicles more than ND's, but it doesn't seem to be too one sided. That last miss from 64m was a shocker though.

Bil

I once read a (real world) report about a Sherman in Italy rounding a corner and finding a Tiger smack on the other side of the building, Both immediately swing their turrets around, both fired at the same moment... and both missed! From point-blank! Yikes! In the resulting smoke and confusion the Sherman was able to back behind the building again.

I once read a (real world) report about a Sherman in Italy rounding a corner and finding a Tiger smack on the other side of the building, Both immediately swing their turrets around, both fired at the same moment... and both missed! From point-blank! Yikes! In the resulting smoke and confusion the Sherman was able to back behind the building again.

If you look at police action shootings, you'll see that the overall accuracy rate is something like 15-20%, with the accuracy being ~30% under 3 yards; 10% 3-7 yards (the most common range), and ~5% at 7-15 yards. (The criminals overall have an accuracy rate of about 10%). These numbers are broadly similar for pistols and revolvers, although revolvers do seem to be slightly (1-2% more accurate).

So I'm not at all surprised that two tanks both trying to shoot each other at the same time would miss.

What I love about reading these AAR's is that both players are convinced they're losing the battle, and one of them just happens to be correct.

I dont remember saying I thought I was losing. If anything I like my chances right now better than ND's. If I can take care of the Sherman on my right without losing my 2 Pz-IVs then ND will be in serious trouble.

Bil

noxnoctum,

I don't know the scenario, but I do know the AI, and the CMx1 problem still remains: As good as it is, it still can't effectively compete with a human player when it's attacking. Therefore, I'd say it must defend if you have any real familiarity with CMx2 in general and CMFI in particular.

Mind, the above is NOT to say that it can, does and continues to thrash me. Just ask 18 Platoon!

Regards,

John Kettler

The Forty Third Minute

Disastrous turn for me...

My Pz-IV could not reload and fire in time... it was hit and penetrated twice by ND's Sherman..

8031424882_baeed105bf_b.jpg

As carefully as I checked LOS it wasn't careful enough... I moved my Grille forward a bit in order to engage the Villa.. and unluckily it was spotted by ND's other surviving Sherman.. who fired twice.. missed high once then connected with the second round.

Sh*t....

8031424844_f2659cc446_b.jpg

As I close in on the Villa some of the defending troops become visible... this image shows what I have identified so far and the text overlays their locations. I have a really good idea where ND's remaining T30 is located.. looks like it was in the courtyard at the beginning of he turn and moved out down the hill (as indicated) by the end (at least the contact did).

8031424820_997db4eae6_b.jpg

Can I go back on vacation please? That was a lot more fun. ;)

Bil,

I had a feeling that the Sherman would get the Mark IV - that usually happens to me. :) Ouch. ...

Me too. :(

I don't know the technical details, but I do find it quite remarkable that the Sherman can turn its turret 60-90 degrees, acquire, aim and fire in less time than the PzIV can reload and fire a 2nd shot. I know the Sherman turret is scary fast, but really, that fast ?

I find the encounter quite perplexing, the reaction times and accuracy of the M4 are more akin to a SF M1. The PzIV is initiating and the M4 reacting to the first attack, yet the German crews firing cycle is slower! The M4 reacts to the first miss, most humans take 1-2 seconds to process new information, whereas the PzIV crew is working on muscle memory, which by it's nature has little sensory input lag (hence the wax on wax off training such crews went through).

So, by the time the M4 commander reacts to an out of arc attack, (with I might add amazing speed) the German loader is reacting to the commanders command to fire again. The M4 commander then has to communicate the location of the threat (he cannot react and issue the command together). Assuming he can do so without seconds of expletives, shock from the buffeting caused by the near miss (quite capable of slamming open hatches shut), the gunner must then take time to react to the command, only after processing the commanders information.

The PzIV gunner has only to drop the elevation wheel and awaits the loaders signal and the commanders kick in the back (faster than verbal communication). The M4's turret is on maximum traverse so will be slowed to fine tune, unless the gunner is lucky or fantastically well trained.

Now for all I know the engine simulates the Pz loader fumbling and dropping the shell, the gunner peering through the dust, the commander having an attack of narcolepsy etc, but then why does the US crew react with such flawless efficiency. I think, just as the fire on the move routine had to be tweaked the action/reaction and target aquisition routines, of vehicles, perhaps need modification.