More animations needed?

For the next major release, I would like to see some more animations, particularly with regards to infantry. Why are all my soldiers right handed? I would like to see left handed soldiers added to the mix as well as some variation in how they hold and fire their weapons. Some would be muzzle up some might be muzzle down and of course the lefties would fire and run in a left hand dominate fashion. I would also like to see some of my German troops running with the weapon in either the right or left hand as they liked to do.

Of course I know everyone has their own things they would like to see added but I think this would add greatly to the realism and immersion in the game.

i want some fat, some tall, some dorky some jocky

Anything they can do to add some character to the soldiers would be great but it may be asking too much to have variations in the models to that extent.

Currently the troops just look and act too wooden and robotic. They all have their weapons pointed up at exactly the same angle. In a perfect world, some troops should hold the muzzle up and others should point the muzzle down.

I actually think that BFC can overcome some of the deficiencies with the graphics engine by adding some variety to the animations and make them look more natural.

Of course not knowing exactly how CMx2 handles things under the hood means that adding more animations will also increase memory cost as well as CPU cycles so I realize its a pipe dream but I thought I would just throw the thought out there.

One thing I've noticed, at least while I've been in the editor is that vehicle crews are moving in unison...I don't remember this in the Base Game. Not sure if it happens during battles though, haven't had time to play any.

As far as new animations...I'd like to see some of the TCs use their binocs...right now there's only a couple of vehicles where this happens...wouldn't have to be many but a few tanks from each nation would be enough. Make it look like they are actually looking for targets and what not.

And I'd like to see the animations on gun crews be a lot better...right now they just walk and the gun slides...I don't even think the wheels roll. Be cool if they pushed it.

Mord.

And I'd like to see the animations on gun crews be a lot better...right now they just walk and the gun slides...I don't even think the wheels roll. Be cool if they pushed it.

Mord.

Man don't get me started on the sliding thing, I know this has been around since CMSF but watching my troops slide into position on those last few steps just bugs the snot out of me.

Seriously just that one change alone would make the game look so much better without even updating the graphics engine. I can just imagine what newcomers to the came must think when they see their troops hit the brakes and slide those last few feet.

To be honest, if they could find some way to fix that one bug I would be a happy gamer ... well maybe for a little while anyway ;).

While I'm all for anything that improves immersion, this is still a game. As much as I'd like to see it, CM Anything is never going to look like a movie.

Sure, additional soldier animations would be nice, but I've got to believe this would be far down any list of "wants" and even further down the line behind the "needs"... covered arc for armor and an improved UI, just for a very short list.

No such thing as a left handed weapon, all weapons must be fired right handed

Over the last couple of decades there has been some small effort to make some weapons ambidextrous. The Steyr AUG, for example, is quite easy to modify for left-handed firers. Which is kinda handy when patrolling. Having a few southpaws, with weapons modified to suits them, covering their natural arcs is a bonus in terms of overall situational awareness.

But that's irrelevant to WWII.

Can't most pistols and revolvers be fired comfortably from either hand?

at least in the UK anyway.

Must be your Calvinist leanings ;)

You dont want to fire most weapons left handed unless you want a bolt in the chops or hot expelled cartridge in the eye.

Down load a few of the uniform mods, they put a mix of uniforms and equiment that makes them look a lot different.

I would like to see proper explosions rather than the pixel dots we have now.

Anything they can do to add some character to the soldiers would be great but it may be asking too much to have variations in the models to that extent.

I was being facetious. I am very content that there is 1:1 modeling. the abstraction in CM1 always dented it a little bit for me.

I think if anything, maybe work on ironing out the kinks where some individuals in squads stand up in open ground waiting to get shot while most of the rest of the squad is well covered behind/in the thing you told them to hide

I want to see the level of fatigue and motivation affect my soldiers more dramatically. I want Pvt. Jones to fall asleep while in the middle of a mission (true story).

rotflmao I just read Joker One and they had a guy in the platoon with narcolepsy. The squad leader would periodically just slap him in the helmet to keep him awake.

Also reading a book on the 101st during Normandy and the number of folks affected apparently by the airsickness pills causing them to fall asleep during the first day is pretty high. It gets mentioned repeatedly.

One thing they can do with animations to give a more realistic effect:

German soldiers, if they have their rifles in hand and not slung, almost always carry them at something like trail arms, meaning they are holding it low in just one hand. It seems culturally, for what ever reason, this is how they typically carry their rifles unless they are actually shooting them. IIRC in CM (and in most other games) they are carrying them in port arms or even more unrealistically up high w butt tucked in like soldiers do today.

Any cursory inspection of Germans in ww2 footage will confirm this odd habit.

Here's a representative look:

http://youtu.be/5p0RzGIdGes

Los

German soldiers, if they have their rifles in hand and not slung, almost always carry them at something like trail arms,

You aren't alone on that one...there was a lot of bitching and debating about that back when the game first came out. I think it would be cool just to give the nations a bit of difference but it's a ton of animating that multiplies exponentially from what BFC said.

Mord.

One thing they can do with animations to give a more realistic effect:

German soldiers, if they have their rifles in hand and not slung, almost always carry them at something like trail arms, meaning they are holding it low in just one hand. It seems culturally, for what ever reason, this is how they typically carry their rifles unless they are actually shooting them. IIRC in CM (and in most other games) they are carrying them in port arms or even more unrealistically up high w butt tucked in like soldiers do today.

Any cursory inspection of Germans in ww2 footage will confirm this odd habit.

Heck, one of the loading images for the game shows an American rifleman crossing in front of a Stuart, carrying his Garand like the Germans did their K98s. I get the sense that carrying a rifle this way while jogging/running was common to more nations than just the Germans.

So, here's an idea: all riflemen in the game, when walking, carry their rifles like they do now. However, when they are jogging/running, they carry it with just their right hand.