Got 1.10 but still don't like it. Bloody icons

Bloody icons. Hate them; can't see whether my men are in a tree or behind a wall, in a field or in a house.

I first hated icons when I saw them in Theatre of War and what an awful gaming experience that was.

Why can't bases or units be highlighted as brightly as the icons? If I toggle icons off I can't see anything.

Sorry, but for me this (plus other UI gripes) means it just isn't an enjoyable gaming experience. Maybe those of you with great computers or those who are enthusiasts will see past all this.

As for the RTS clickfest, well ............

I guess I'll drift by the forum occasionally to see the interesting threads but I'm so disappointed. Time for the medication.

I have heard people whine about this before. I didn't like them when i first saw them either. I shut them off too until i needed to identify units which got annoying clicking on them all trying to find the right one. So i turned them back on and now I have gotten used to them and I don't event think about them too much.

Try also to changing the camera angle when positioning is precarious. I find camera position 6 is a good one giving the overhead view in locating when objects are in the way. I think people who have these problems need to learn navigating short cuts. The key is in using a mouse with programmable buttons, and or a Nostromo speedpad. I have the TAB key, and preset camera views tied to hotkeys on these and it makes all the difference in navigating the game with ease and speed. Give it a try, and lose any frustration.

What I like about the "hovering" icons is that when you go in close to see the lovely graphics, you're not distracted by colored bases like we were in CM1. Yes, you could turn off the bases with shift-Q(?), but it was an extra keystroke.

Can't recall a single time when I had problems with the hovering icons. They are an improvement.

Bloody icons. Hate them; can't see whether my men are in a tree or behind a wall, in a field or in a house.

I first hated icons when I saw them in Theatre of War and what an awful gaming experience that was.

Why can't bases or units be highlighted as brightly as the icons? If I toggle icons off I can't see anything.

Sorry, but for me this (plus other UI gripes) means it just isn't an enjoyable gaming experience. Maybe those of you with great computers or those who are enthusiasts will see past all this.

I guess I'll drift by the forum occasionally to see the interesting threads but I'm so disappointed. Time for the medication.

Instead of the meds... Have you tried any of the old CMx1 games (CMBB, CMAK)? I still prefer them to CMBN /CW. I prefer the theaters and game play /scale of the old game engines.

As well, CMAK can be modded to CMETO (Europeon Theater, 44-45). Three games for the price of two.

Love the arty in CMBN /CW though. I just need the Eastern Front and North Africa CMx2 to be created with all bugs fixed. Until then CMx1 mostly for me.

Thanks for your replies guys.

@Blazing 88's. I entirely agree. I didn't want to mention CMx1 because it's heresy around here. But yes, frankly it's so bloody obvious. Plus so easy to play with mouse in one hand, champagne in the other. I don't need no stinking hot keys.

I blow my nose in the general direction of better graphics.

You might like the period based icon mod from our repository. I have been using it for some time now and find the unit symbols to be less blobish than the stock icons. For example the period based infantry icon is an upward arrow ,instead of the stock inf. symbol, which to me looks like the shadow of "Big Foot"...coming out of the forest.Just be careful not to mistake the some of the period based icons for tree trunks.

Sometimes I turn icons off in order to better view my units. I only play wego and can sometimes take up to 20 mins between turns. So pre- planing is crucial in this game mode..Where failing to prepare, is preparing to fail.

I hope you keep playing and enjoying this, what I consider a Great sim

I have heard people whine about this before. I didn't like them when i first saw them either. I shut them off too until i needed to identify units which got annoying clicking on them all trying to find the right one. So i turned them back on and now I have gotten used to them and I don't event think about them too much.

It's true. They bugged me a bit when I first started playing CMSF but I got used to them and now I only occasionally shut them off.

In a fast-changing real time situation, they are extremely useful. I often light up a formation to see how dispersed it is and the flashing when they get hit can help too.

Thanks for your replies guys.

@Blazing 88's. I entirely agree. I didn't want to mention CMx1 because it's heresy around here. But yes, frankly it's so bloody obvious. Plus so easy to play with mouse in one hand, champagne in the other. I don't need no stinking hot keys.

I blow my nose in the general direction of better graphics.

Ok, you two. Go play what you like.

But how can you think its better is beyond me.

So CMX2 is not perfect. But how units spot in the new game is light years better than the borg spotting in CMX1, that one issue makes the new engine well worth the other short comings. CMX1 was crap to gun duels, fire one shot and every enemy unit in range will be returning fire within 5 seconds, yes I want to go back to that. NOT

Infantry battles in the old game are boring, now they come to life. No longer are the days of every house having line of sight to every location. Now, door and window locations, tree trunks, vegatation and all sorts of things become important as to if units will be getting line of sight and being able to help in a fire fight. Position is much more of a challenge. terrain is much more realistic.

Clearing out woods now is a real nightmare. where as before, it was a simple move my grunts so far from the enemy and magic, they have spotted and attached that hidden unit in the woods, no effort at all to dig them out.

CMx1 has plenty of flaws, so stop trying to point to it, claiming how much better it was, thinking that is going to get your improvements you want in CMx2.

Just ask for your wanted improvements and stop with how great it was comments. Both systems have their strengths, and for now, you cannot have all the best of both worlds in one game.

But anyone that truely thinks CMx1 is a better system, their comments dont weigh very high in my book.

Well I feared mention of CMx1 would start the vitriol flowing. So let's just leave it.

I'll play one for fun and one for less fun. At least there's a lively forum.

Well - frankly I could give a toss what you do. Just dont get the point of a post like that. They are Icons - they are AIDES to see where your men are - they are not the whole bloody game and to say the whole thing is useless because of it is - to say it mildly - probably the most facile critique of a game I have ever seen. If you dont like the real time click fest as you put it - then pause - or - jeez ... why do I even need to point this out ... play turn based doh...:mad:.

The simple fact is that most of the reasons people think CMx1 was better was that it was less detailed, less difficult, less nuanced than the new one. All exactly the opposite of what I would expect from an improved game.

man oh man are we ever a funny bunch

CMx1 was fun (is fun for those still playing it, which are many)

CMx2 is fun

different games, all depends on what you are looking for. I still love chess, but it ain't CM

and yes it is a lively forum.

I don't however understand the RTS clickfest comment. I don't do RTS and CMx2 in all it's variations (CMSF, CMBN etc) is by far my favorite game.

The simple fact is that most of the reasons people think CMx1 was better was that it was less detailed, less difficult, less nuanced than the new one. All exactly the opposite of what I would expect from an improved game.

This is the best summation I've read on why people like CMx1 more than CMx2. It's like checkers and chess. The first time I played chess I hated it. Pieces with different move capabilities. Getting a good piece captured from out of nowhere because I didn't remember the move rules or wasn't paying attention. Now, I still appreciate checkers but would rather play chess because of the added complexity.

As for the icons, I didn't like them at first. When I saw them in a CMSF demo I hated them and hoped they wouldn't be in CMx2. But they serve a purpose for me. They help me keep track of where my units are. Otherwise, the small (to scale?) units are hard to see sometimes and I would forget about them. And how did I get around this in CMx1? By increasing the scale of the visual unit with the hotkey. This seemed like an acceptable solution then but looking back on it I was playing with what looked like giants. CMx2 looks so much better with no giants.

And how did I get around this in CMx1? By increasing the scale of the visual unit with the hotkey. This seemed like an acceptable solution then but looking back on it I was playing with what looked like giants. CMx2 looks so much better with no giants.

Not to mention the CMX1 guys were at an abstract spot on the map, their size didn't matter the point they occupied was somewhere in the general area. If you increased the size of your men in CMBN they would catch more bullets because of their surface space...in other words, they are for the most part exactly where you see them on the screen. So, size does matter.

Mord.

There is a mod to brighten the bases. Search and stop yer bitchin!

Yea, but it only brightens the unit you have selected. I think he wants the bases to always be bright instead of having the icons.

I personally like the icons, it's easy to select a unit on the other side of the map and then hit tab to zoom to it. However, it would be nice to have the OPTION to switch between icons and 'always on bases'