Jump to content
CanuckGamer

Fradulent Credit Card Transactions

Recommended Posts

In the last three weeks both me and a friend purchased Battlefront products paying for them with credit cards.  Specifically, CMBN Big Bundle, and for me the Vehicle and Battle Pack.  In early January, both our credit cards were hit with fradulent transactions.  Luckily we both check our balances regularly so we reported them to our credit card providers.  It is too much of a coincidence that we both were hit,  so I am letting you know through the forum (not sure where I should have reported this) so that you can check the security of your ordering system because it may be compromised.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys didn't hit any fast food joints in that period did you? My brother had that happen after a Burger King visit, once.

 

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A gas station was the the last place I got nailed from (in my case though someone else had the mysterious charge and the CC companies nuked all cards that were used in that gas station to limit the damage).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanuckGamer said:

In the last three weeks both me and a friend purchased Battlefront products paying for them with credit cards.  Specifically, CMBN Big Bundle, and for me the Vehicle and Battle Pack.  In early January, both our credit cards were hit with fradulent transactions.  Luckily we both check our balances regularly so we reported them to our credit card providers.  It is too much of a coincidence that we both were hit,  so I am letting you know through the forum (not sure where I should have reported this) so that you can check the security of your ordering system because it may be compromised.  Thanks.

Interesting - same thing happened to me and my credit card company speculated that my details had been lifted as a result of an online transaction. I bought SF2 just before Xmas with the card that somebody tried to use fraudulently.

I've contacted Steve @Battlefront.com direct about this.

Edited by Combatintman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I opened a ticket.  I don't know who Steve is but If I did I would have contacted him directly like you did.  Here is why I think it has something to do with the online purchases of my friend and I.  Around Xmas he bought games from both Battlefront and another company.  He used his wife's card for the Battlefront purchases but his card for the other company.  The fradulent charges appeared on his wife's card.  I bought the VP and BP using my credit card just after new years and fradulent charges appeared on my card as well.  If I am correct about Battlefront changing servers recently then it is too much of a coincidence that including you we now have 3 reported incidents.  My only other credit card usage in December was my monthly automatic charge from my cell phone company and a online purchase from a another game company but that occurred after the fradulent charges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CanuckGamer said:

I opened a ticket.  I don't know who Steve is but If I did I would have contacted him directly like you did.  Here is why I think it has something to do with the online purchases of my friend and I.  Around Xmas he bought games from both Battlefront and another company.  He used his wife's card for the Battlefront purchases but his card for the other company.  The fradulent charges appeared on his wife's card.  I bought the VP and BP using my credit card just after new years and fradulent charges appeared on my card as well.  If I am correct about Battlefront changing servers recently then it is too much of a coincidence that including you we now have 3 reported incidents.  My only other credit card usage in December was my monthly automatic charge from my cell phone company and a online purchase from a another game company but that occurred after the fradulent charges.

Steve is one of the boss men at Battlefront so my e-mail plus your support ticket will trigger action to locate and fix any issue.

Given the circumstances you've described and mine ( I used my credit card twice recently - once to buy my wife an Xmas present at the start of December and the second to buy the CMSF upgrade bundle about a week before Xmas), I agree that it is unlikely to be a coincidence. Anyway, at least the problem is known and thanks for highlighting it.

Needless to say but I'll say it anyway - anybody who's bought something from the store recently should probably check their credit card statements just in case the same happens to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a fraudulent charge appear this last week too. I had to get a new debit card with the bank just this morning. I don't know what transaction could have been compromised since it is possible for the culprits to withhold using their captured cards for a short while before using/distributing them. Hopefully Battlefront can double-check their website and card processor for any possible security issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my last issue was someone who hacked me through paypal so they showed up as transaction payments to a paypal acct.  Erwin just look for anything you know you didn't purchase.  Call you provider to identify and they'll help you address the issue.  Also ask about security.  You can have your card notify and look for approval on purchases before it will accept them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the 11th I apparently rented a car in Europe.  I've never been to Europe and have no intention of going there any time soon.  Must have been a pretty darn good car since the fee was $1300 too!

Impossible to say how they got my CC but I called, disputed it, and had my CC number changed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all, I've been lurking for a little bit and saw this thread (made an account as well) and immediately checked my history on the card I used to purchase the modules for CM:SF2 and sure enough I had 2 fraudulent charges, I've only used this card to purchase stuff for gaming IE steam and now battlefront products and along with you guys it seems to be more than just a coincidence. Luckily the charges got taken care of so all is fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that my problem stemmed from this site as I haven't bought CMSF2. So perhaps it is my punishment for buying something from S@%£&. New bank card in the post and a refund into my account, so no major harm done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the CMSF2 Big Bundle upgrade on 4 December: my card was used fraudulently for a £1,300 attempted purchase in Germany in early January ...

Fortunately the card provider declined the transaction, so the only hassle was a new card and number needed.

Because of the time gap I didn't initially associate the card being compromised with the BF purchase, but it seems far too many examples to be just coincidence ☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, PhilM said:

I bought the CMSF2 Big Bundle upgrade on 4 December: my card was used fraudulently for a £1,300 attempted purchase in Germany in early January ...

Fortunately the card provider declined the transaction, so the only hassle was a new card and number needed.

Because of the time gap I didn't initially associate the card being compromised with the BF purchase, but it seems far too many examples to be just coincidence ☹️

They must have thought I'm a cheapskate then - mine was only for £640 … for Burberry … the shame of it 😬. I was lucky like you though, my provider declined the transaction too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typically, when you start getting charges from stolen info, the culprits will put a small charge through, like one to two dollars.  They do this to test the card and prep it for a larger transaction.  I had my cc number compromised a couple times in the last few years and got a very detailed explanation from my CFO.  He convinced me to only do online transactions with PayPal, Steam, or a burner card.  Never use a debit card.  He said Paypal is very close to impossible to compromise unless you are in very unsecure area and using it, like in an airport wifi.  The other thing he said is always run a cheap VPN.  Like Paypal, its close to impossible to compromise.  Nothing is foolproof, but Paypal combined with a VPN will make it difficult.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah my credit card was cancelled due to fraudulent activity over the weekend (and I'm in Australia). I bought SF2 when it launched.

Interestingly the guy from the bank had a chuckle because the 'small test charge' of $1 was put through as "test only". He said they aren't normally dumb enough to name it that.

Edited by liamb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...