Jump to content
pintere

Will old scenarios and campaigns work for CMSF2?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

This might be a really stupid question but here goes...

Will the vast collection of existing user made scenarios/campaigns still work on the new CMSF2? I suspect not but it's worth a try.

Edited by pintere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pintere said:

As in they will or as in my suspicion was correct?

This was actually a requirement for Steve to do the project.  If they couldn't we likely would not have CMSF2.  He discussed this in a couple posts some time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Many of the later CMSF1 scenarios and campaigns are of a higher standard than yer average WW2 scenarios as CMSF was the only CM2 game available for about 5(?) years and designers and modders learned to become very, very good. 

Not saying we don't have very talented designers and modders now - like you, and also MOS and his superb Tac Ops Center scenario (who here is playing that btw?) - but back in CMSF days there seemed to be more designers and modders who were prepared to spend the vast amount of time needed to become very, very good.

 

Edited by Erwin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Why worry about old scenarios when new ones can be created …

To follow on from this. Having the old scenarios to use is great but as @Combatintman says new ones and updated old ones will be available. The progress of the game and authoring tools has helped scenario authors do better and better work. Each new game release has included even better scenarios than the last. Nostalgia aside, start with the scenarios that ship with the new game then move to any new ones or updates that people do before going to original ones.

Just MHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Why worry about old scenarios when new ones can be created …

Man where do I start.  Circle the Wagons, Chris's TF panther campaign, CIMIC house, LLF's Ramadi map and the scenarios created for it.  There is just so much really high quality stuff out there.  Scroll through the scenario depot at the CMSF list.

 It'd have been a shame to lose those.  Erwin is spot on.  I haven't even scratched the surface of the material available.  A lot of those scenarios can be reworked to create new ones. CMSF2 at launch keeps the wealth of scenarios that outstrips every other title.  The value add is enormous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Why worry about old scenarios when new ones can be created …

too funny.  looking at scenario depot and realizing just how much material you created yourself.  So can we take it from your comment that you have tons of new material in mind?  :D  Please say, why of course I do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sburke said:

too funny.  looking at scenario depot and realizing just how much material you created yourself.  So can we take it from your comment that you have tons of new material in mind?  :D  Please say, why of course I do!

Some of my early stuff was pretty shonky though …. that was the thrust of my comment really - more tools for CMSF designers now.

Otherwise I don't have anything in the mix yet due to that pesky Beta testing stuff; however, I have heaps of scenario/campaign ideas so we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad we will be able to use all the old scenarios but it was never a deal breaker for me, if they couldn't have done it. Having SF2 in 4.0 was the most important thing. So, as far as I am concerned, it's icing on the cake.

 

Mord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding was that almost all the old content would work, but the CM1 AI may not be exactly up to snuff with the CM2 Engine.

However, the ability to make new content!!!!

Oh, yea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's 'old scenarios' and then there's old scenarios.
CMSF2 scenario names will look familiar but take note of all the changes. Scenario changes like proper water tiles, beach landings, bridges and barbed wire, plus new AI tricks (including triggers) and additional AI commands, and reworked victory point allocations. Plus AA assets and on-map mortars. Just because you once played 'Al Huqf Engagement' in CMSF1 don't assume you've played the 'Al Huqf Engagement' that's in CMSF2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

There's 'old scenarios' and then there's old scenarios.
CMSF2 scenario names will look familiar but take note of all the changes. Scenario changes like proper water tiles, beach landings, bridges and barbed wire, plus new AI tricks (including triggers) and additional AI commands, and reworked victory point allocations. Plus AA assets and on-map mortars. Just because you once played 'Al Huqf Engagement' in CMSF1 don't assume you've played the 'Al Huqf Engagement' that's in CMSF2.

Wooohoo, good point...looking forward to proper water tiles, etc...and beach landings.  😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike can I at least talk you into moving the IEDs in the Shores of Tripoli scenario so I won't know where they're at? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, grunt_GI said:

My understanding was that almost all the old content would work, but the CM1 AI may not be exactly up to snuff with the CM2 Engine.

However, the ability to make new content!!!!

Oh, yea.

and instead of starting from scratch, there are all these scenarios that can be adapted with new AI plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, grunt_GI said:

Wooohoo, good point...looking forward to proper water tiles, etc...and beach landings.  😏

What Jarhead ain't!! 🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MikeyD have you seen Sgt Squarehead's post in the IED thread about how to vary the position of the IEDs? I really appreciate you looking into this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, z1812 said:

I wonder will CMSF1 mods work with CMSF2.

been answered multiple times.  Kieme's mod does as the modular buildings have not changed.  Some audio mods might, any uniform mods most definitely not as the models have changed, pretty much assume almost all mods no longer apply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×