Will old scenarios and campaigns work for CMSF2?

Many of the later CMSF1 scenarios and campaigns are of a higher standard than yer average WW2 scenarios as CMSF was the only CM2 game available for about 5(?) years and designers and modders learned to become very, very good. 

Not saying we don't have very talented designers and modders now - like you, and also MOS and his superb Tac Ops Center scenario (who here is playing that btw?) - but back in CMSF days there seemed to be more designers and modders who were prepared to spend the vast amount of time needed to become very, very good.

Edited by Erwin

26 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Why worry about old scenarios when new ones can be created …

To follow on from this. Having the old scenarios to use is great but as @Combatintman says new ones and updated old ones will be available. The progress of the game and authoring tools has helped scenario authors do better and better work. Each new game release has included even better scenarios than the last. Nostalgia aside, start with the scenarios that ship with the new game then move to any new ones or updates that people do before going to original ones.

Just MHO

48 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Man where do I start.  Circle the Wagons, Chris's TF panther campaign, CIMIC house, LLF's Ramadi map and the scenarios created for it.  There is just so much really high quality stuff out there.  Scroll through the scenario depot at the CMSF list.

It'd have been a shame to lose those.  Erwin is spot on.  I haven't even scratched the surface of the material available.  A lot of those scenarios can be reworked to create new ones. CMSF2 at launch keeps the wealth of scenarios that outstrips every other title.  The value add is enormous.

2 hours ago, Combatintman said:

too funny.  looking at scenario depot and realizing just how much material you created yourself.  So can we take it from your comment that you have tons of new material in mind?  :D  Please say, why of course I do!

4 minutes ago, sburke said:

too funny.  looking at scenario depot and realizing just how much material you created yourself.  So can we take it from your comment that you have tons of new material in mind?  :D  Please say, why of course I do!

Some of my early stuff was pretty shonky though …. that was the thrust of my comment really - more tools for CMSF designers now.

Otherwise I don't have anything in the mix yet due to that pesky Beta testing stuff; however, I have heaps of scenario/campaign ideas so we'll see.

I am glad we will be able to use all the old scenarios but it was never a deal breaker for me, if they couldn't have done it. Having SF2 in 4.0 was the most important thing. So, as far as I am concerned, it's icing on the cake.

Mord.

There's 'old scenarios' and then there's old scenarios.
CMSF2 scenario names will look familiar but take note of all the changes. Scenario changes like proper water tiles, beach landings, bridges and barbed wire, plus new AI tricks (including triggers) and additional AI commands, and reworked victory point allocations. Plus AA assets and on-map mortars. Just because you once played 'Al Huqf Engagement' in CMSF1 don't assume you've played the 'Al Huqf Engagement' that's in CMSF2.

15 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

There's 'old scenarios' and then there's old scenarios.
CMSF2 scenario names will look familiar but take note of all the changes. Scenario changes like proper water tiles, beach landings, bridges and barbed wire, plus new AI tricks (including triggers) and additional AI commands, and reworked victory point allocations. Plus AA assets and on-map mortars. Just because you once played 'Al Huqf Engagement' in CMSF1 don't assume you've played the 'Al Huqf Engagement' that's in CMSF2.

Wooohoo, good point...looking forward to proper water tiles, etc...and beach landings.  😏

2 hours ago, grunt_GI said:

My understanding was that almost all the old content would work, but the CM1 AI may not be exactly up to snuff with the CM2 Engine.

However, the ability to make new content!!!!

Oh, yea.

and instead of starting from scratch, there are all these scenarios that can be adapted with new AI plans.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, z1812 said:

I wonder will CMSF1 mods work with CMSF2.

been answered multiple times.  Kieme's mod does as the modular buildings have not changed.  Some audio mods might, any uniform mods most definitely not as the models have changed, pretty much assume almost all mods no longer apply.